Ramada Augusta Downtown Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #58 of 86 Hotels in Augusta
Reviewed 24 March 2009

I was in a large group of students staying at the Ramada Hotel in downtown Augusta. Upon check-in, the hotel had a very smoky mildew smell. When I checked into the room, it was dusty and looked antiquated, but I figured it was okay. I went to dinner and when I returned was the first time that I used the lavatory. There was a dirty ring around the commode and when I turned on the shower, the water would not get hot and the tub would not drain. I was switched to a new room and just went to sleep. When I woke up to take a shower in my new room, the water rain brown and had a terrible odor, since the tub would not properly drain, there was a rusty ring left. After being frustrated, I just decided to go to breakfast. When I arrived, I saw several other students just sitting in the lounge. There was no buffet set up, and we were told that they only have a buffet when the hotel is full. There was a hand written menu, with 1 server who did not arrive until after 7:30. I had to leave after waiting 20 minutes because class started at 8. This was the most horrible hotel experience that I have had. I would not reccomend this hotel to my worst enemy!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Angry_teacher09

Reviewed 20 November 2008

Just don't do it. This place is awful. It's old, dirty... I don't think it's been updated since the '80s. It's also loud. Not sure what's up with the trains around here... but you can hear the trains every 30 minutes or so. If you stay here, bring some sleeping medication. Better yet, just stay down the road at the Marriott or somewhere else. This place should be torn down.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 14 April 2008

We decided to stay at this hotel for the Masters because of the location. It's located in downtown Augusta and only a 5-10 drive to Augusta National. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. The only pro to this hotel besides the location is the customer service. They treat you with the upmost respect at all times. Imagine 5-star service in a 1-star hotel.

Cons:

The rooms have not been updated in at least 20 years, it was disgusting.

We stayed for 2 nights and both nights at around 5, 6, and 7 am a train came into our room. Our room should have been discounted since the train passed through it. It was amazing how loud the train sounded. I ask a few other guests and they agreed that the train next to the hotel is extremely loud.

The walls are also paper thin. I actually think I could hear the guest next to us breath. Anything they did, I heard it... phone calls, shower, tv, etc.

The breakfast is not very good and needs improvements.

Overall I would not visit this hotel again, unless you don't have any other place to stay for the Masters. If it wasn't for the customer service, I wouldn't even give this hotel a star.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 25 June 2007

I stayed at this hotel while attending the Prince Hall Grand Lodge Annual Session for the Jurisdiction of Georgia 19-23 June. We were told that we had received the "discount" rate of $99/night. The hotel was not worth that much, but it was fair.

Pros:
1) The hotel is convenient to US-1 and most of the downtown shopping areas, and of course, all the strip clubs that downtown Augusta has to offer.
2) The lounge on the very top 13th floor (called the Penthouse floor) offers a breathtaking view of the city of Augusta.
3) The beds are very comfortable.
4) Most of the staff was very friendly.
5) VERY convenient to food places and Wal-Mart in SC. (Go one block to 5th street, turn left and drive over the bridge into South Carolina--then take the first exit. Walmart is there too...all of that is about three minutes from the hotel.)

Cons:
1) The air conditioner might work sometimes. In 100+ degree Georgia summer heat, "sometimes" is unacceptable.
2) The building elevators are kind of old; scary experience. The inspection certificates were current, but I couldn't help but wonder if I was going to make it from the ground floor to the 12th floor (where I was staying) alive!
3) The dinner buffet was $16+ with tax and the food was really not that great. I mean, it was edible, but so was the Sonic, McDonald's, Wendy's and Krystals, just one block over in South Carolina. For $16+, I expected to watch them cook the food and hire a world class butler to serve it to me...not have to go to a buffet that everyone is coughing over.
4) The bathrooms were clean, but not "spic and span." They have these vents in the bathroom that are old and really need to be cleaned. So, you will probably wake up each day with dingy bath towels.
5) The bathtub/shower accessories need to be updated/modernized.
6) The hallways in the hotel smell really old and 'mildewy'

Overall: Would I stay here again?? If someone gave me an absolutely FREE hotel stay---I might think about it. I mean, I lived...but this was certainly not as nice as the Marriott Suites hotel which is only a couple blocks away--and the price is nearly the same!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2006

We stayed for 1 night just recently. I booked this hotel because it had a lounge/bar and restaurant on site. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed and the bar was little to be desired. We actually had to interrupt the bartender while she was watching Jerry Springer to get a beer. The show was on so loud we didn't stay for another. It was very slow in the area so we were the only patrons there. The view was nice and it seemed as though it could be just fine for a few drinks. We were greeted with a grunt and when we asked about the restaurant she told us it is never open! Before we left she did suggest that we walk next door to either the sports bar or the italian restaurant for dinner.

They were ripping out the carpet in the lobby that day we got there. The desk person was friendly but left out the part about the restaurant when we asked about the amenities.

Our room was fine. This is an older hotel that certainly could use some updating. Our bed was comfortable and the bathroom was ok except for the toilet that would not flush all the time.

The pool area was very disappointing. It was unkempt. There seemed to be trash out there and some stuff that didn't belong. It was just very run down.

The location was good, but we did have to walk 6-8 blocks up to actually reach some other places to have a drink other than the two described next door.

I don't know if I'd stay again for the price here. We paid $89 and that was high for this place. I am sure it was very nice in its day, but it is on the run down side now.

If you do stay, do be sure to try the Sports Bar located just across the street next to the hotel. Don't be scared off by the "girly club" next door. This place had the best cheeseburgers we've ever had and they were $3.15! It has been owned by the same family for more than 30 years. Very friendly and helpful with area information.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pahhobbs
Reviewed 16 July 2006

We stayed at the Plaza Hotel by Ramada for three nights. We found the location to be perfect and the service impeccable. The front desk and concierge clerks seemed delighted to be there, friendly and extremely helpful in pointing out where to go and how to get there, (I haven't even received this kind of personalized service at a Westin or Hyatt, which I love). We were surprised at the large size and comfort of our room which was well appointed. The rooftop cocktail lounge has great service and even better drinks. Room service was prompt. The indoor jacuzzi and pool were great as well. This is an older property, but clean and well kept over the years with five-star service. Kudos to the Plaza.

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank KBOAT
Reviewed 14 July 2005

This is the worst, nastiest, dingiest hotel in Augusta, GA. My hubby's family reunion was held at this HIGH-RISE-WHAM-BAM-THANK-U-MAM-"MOTEL". Upon check-in, we saw the room and checked right out. It was dated, circa 1970s, and musty. The bed was absolutely horrible.... I just sat on it. I wasn't feeling well and couldn't imagine myself staying there AT ALL. We promptly checked out and stayed at the Radisson Riverfront, which was very nice and elegant... one flaw there... my sister had 2 roaches in her room. I hope I never, ever find myself in Augusta, Ga again! There's no such thing a 4 or 5 star hotel in this dingy town.

• Stayed: July 2005