“Charming and Comfy”

Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels in Augusta
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was a charming, and nice hotel in Augusta. The staff were extremely friendly and hotel shuttle was excellent: friendly drive and right on time.The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. The location was spot on and around many places to visit.

Room Tip: Choose high floor with view of the river
1  Thank kidic
There are newer reviews for Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center

Reviewed 20 February 2014

When I arrived at the hotel I thought I had a room in the Marriott but in fact I was booked in the Marriott Suites next door. The room was large and clean so I was OK with what I wound up with. After going to a meeting the next day I returned to the hotel and was disappointed to see that the beds had been made but the bath towels had not been replenished. Another thing I did not catch until this morning was that the coffee supplies had not been replenished from when I had used them earlier that morning. Finally upon checkout and after checking with a business colleague who was also checked in and sharing a car with me, the hotel had charged the parking fee to both of our rooms. They did remove it from my colleague's bill but only because we caught it.

The hotel itself was nice and the staff was friendly but they need to pay attention to the small details.

Room Tip: verify if you are in the Marriott or Marriott Suites
1  Thank Charles T
AugustaMarriott, Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Charles,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center. I am very sorry to hear that you were booked into a room in the suites tower rather than in the Marriott tower as you anticipated. I would like to apologize as well for the fact that your bath towels were not replenished and that your coffee supplies were not replenished upon your return to your guest room. These omissions are certainly not our standard and you should not have had to experience them.

We take all guest feedback, both positive and negative to heart and use that feedback as a coaching opportunity to help our team improve upon our delivery of both product and service. We will review the issues you bring forward with the reservations, front office and housekeeping teams. We hope you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you in the future when I assure you we will do a better job.

Matthew Ricker

Reviewed 19 February 2014

My stay at the Augusta Marriott was simply amazing. Room service was great. I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel. Parking was great. Location was great. The location was really close to where my weekend activities were located.

• Stayed: February 2014
AugustaMarriott, Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words and feedback! There is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professional, than receiving kind words from a valued guest. We truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you, and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Just spent a night at the Augusta Marriott. Wow, what a great hotel and this is coming from a lifetime platinum member. I stayed in the "Suites" side of the hotel. The suite is a perfect size with the living room, the bathroom/kitchen and then the bedroom. Compared to their normal room, it is about as wide but much longer. It is a 5 minute walk from the hotel side of the property to the suite side of the property. If you stay in the "suites", I recommend "self park" your car since it is cheaper and the car is much closer to your room. The staff was helpful and the bed was comfortable. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Stay on the suites side
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
AugustaMarriott, Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive review and your kind words. We are pleased that we have met your expectations. These words mean a great deal to us. Our staff try their best to go above and beyond for our guests, and we will continue to strive to keep your valuable business.
On behalf of the entire staff, a big thank you to you for your loyalty! And we look forward to your next visit at our property.

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 January 2014

The Good: Service is good and the staff are friendly. Location is great.

The Bad: Very pricey for an older hotel in Augusta. Room interiors need some updating. Two buildings, so if you book a suite expect to do some walking.

I travel to Augusta twice a month to visit my daughter who lives there. I often stay with Hilton properties due to my status with them. This time I decided to try the Marriott because I was given a trial Gold Elite status with them as part of an effort to win over elite customers from other hotels. So I booked a suite for two for the weekend. Under my account my preferences are a king bed on a high floor. The Marriott is one of the few hotels that provides a shuttle and the driver was very friendly and prompt. Upon arrival I was dropped off at the front counter for their side. This particular property is split into two buildings (one for suites and one for hotel rooms). The staff was courteous and checked me in right away. They apologized for the concierge floor not being accessible this weekend and offered to give me breakfast vouchers or points. I took the vouchers.

I was then told I would have to walk to the other building to find my room, which was not a big deal. They have a walkway between the two buildings. The problem was there is no one manning the front desk on the suites side, so any issues or needs, you have to walk back to the hotel building. Additionally the restaurant and breakfast areas are in the hotel building.

We were put into a suite with two queen beds and a pull out on the 6th floor. Despite my preferences, this was not a big deal. I was kind of surprised that my room was not upgraded, because the hotel was fairly empty. At least the suites building was empty.

That night and the following morning a storm hit Augusta and caused some flooding in our room. We informed the front desk staff and a maintenance man came up and provided us with towels to stick along the window. He also offered to change our room, which we took. While attempting to find a room he brought us to two others rooms that were having similar flooding issues and finally we were put in a room on the fourth floor. Again, I was shocked to find ourselves in a suite with two queen beds. Based on the flooding alone we should have been put in an upgraded suite or one with a view of the river.

The following morning, my daughter and I sat down and had breakfast. While eating my meal, I noticed a piece of my omelet that had serial numbers on it. When I examined it further I noticed it was a piece of plastic about an inch and a half long that had been cooked into the eggs. I notified the restaurant manager and he apologized asking if there was anything he could do. I stated no, because it was a free meal anyway, but he called up later to our room and offered to put points into my account. (As of today 25JAN14 I have not seen any points deposited into my account.)

That morning following breakfast I asked the front desk if the shuttle could drop me off at the airport by 4am and they informed me that it could not. The front desk manager offered to pay for my cab there due to some of the issues I had been experiencing at the property. I informed him that I had a rental and would just ask to extend it a day, but he insisted that I return it to the airport as scheduled and they would send the shuttle to pick me up from the airport and then have a cab drop me off the following morning.

I dropped the car off at the airport around 8-830pm. By 930pm no Marriott shuttle had come. I called the hotel and inquired about the shuttle and the front desk attendant asked me if I had scheduled a pickup. I said of course I did this morning. She apologized and sent the shuttle to get me. Needless to say I did not get back until 1030. I asked her to verify my cab reservation and she did. She additionally offered to waive one night due to the fact I was leaving a few hours.

I don't think this is typical practice for them, but it did happen to me and the staff responded fairly well with the exception of the points, room upgrades and shuttle. I don't think I would go back after that. Any many would say, give it a second chance, but I would have expected the general manager to have contacted me by now to see if there was anything he or she could have done. Like I said before, I think the location is great and most people like this property.

Room Tip: Get a hotel room vs. a suite if you want close access to the bar and restaurant. Additionally, most...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
AugustaMarriott, Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Mr. Vaughn,
Thank you for contacting us regarding your recent stay at the Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center. We appreciate feedback from our valued guests and we use that feedback to improve upon our delivery of product and service.
Let me begin by thanking you for the positive comments regarding our staff. We take pride at being professional and friendly hosts to our guests and it is encouraging to hear when our guests are pleased with our efforts in that area. I would also like to apologize for the many challenges that you faced while at our hotel. I am very sorry that you had to experience the issue while having breakfast in our restaurant, the water entering your room through the window during the storm and our lack of follow through when picking you up at the airport. These were all unfortunate occurrences and I feel terrible that they happened to you while a guests at our hotel. I have reviewed the challenges with the staff and we have taken corrective actions regarding the issues. These are note typical issues at our hotel, but as you stated they did happen to you and for that again I am truly sorry.
I have attempted to reach you through the telephone numbers that we have on file for you but have been unable to get ahold you to discuss the matter. At this time the points that were promised to you in an effort to make up for the restaurant issue have been issued and just need to be converted to airline miles (as is your preference). As you stated in your note the hotel did pay for the cab fare and did not charge you for your final night while you were here so I was under the impression that the compensation regarding the matter had been settled. I do hope that you will give us another chance to show you that we are better than what you experienced on your last stay with, I promise you that we will do a better job should you give us that opportunity.
If you would like to speak to me further I would be happy to do so. If I can ever be of service to you in the future please do not hesitate to call upon me.

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this property last week on business. It's a good/solid choice in this area. My room was clean and comfortable. Concierge lounge was also nice and breakfast food was great quality. I am a Platinum member so I always appreciate good service and amenities such as the Concierge lounge. My only dissapointment is that this hotel charges $7 for parking even to Platinum members. Why? I'd much prefer that they just add it to the price of the room. It's so annoying to pay for these added charges. I realize $7 is nothing compared to other hotels in big cities, but Augusta is not in a "big market". It just gives the appearance of nickel & diming your customers. In spite of that, I'd still recommend this property as it offers good value overall. The front desk personnel is also very friendly and courteous.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback. We look forward to having you return as our guest and want you to know that we truly value your business.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff. Clean, well maintained hotel and rooms. Within walking distance of canal walk and Broad St, where all the good restaurants are. Would stay here again if in town. Only gripe is you have to pay for parking, but it's not as much as some hotel lots I have paid for in the past. The area is mostly a downtown area, mostly clean and taken care of.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business