“Gorgeous but tough”

Kalalau Trail
Ranked #4 of 287 things to do in Kauai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kauai's hiking trail along the Na Pali coast.
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have hiked this trail many times, and I love every inch of it. It does get narrow in parts, and if you're afraid of heights, this section can be scary. I have never felt unsafe hiking this trail. It's a long hike and usually people don't hike it both ways, so pack it light and bring lots of water. There are water stations, but I wouldn't trust it. Most people hike the eleven miles one way and then camp out. I also recommend finding a house to rent on the island. There are a ton of great deals for renting and it is much more fun than a hotel. Take a look at Kauai Vacation Rentals on their FB page.

3  Thank Frank G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,498)

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Not for the lighthearted. Need to wear your hiking/water shoes for you cross rivers/streams & walk on boulders/rocks. It gets hot esp going up the switchback areas. SO beautiful! IF you're a hiker, you can't miss this. It was the highlight of our trip. We did the 1st 2 miles, then 2 miles up to the falls & back, so a total of 8 miles & I'm 53. I couldn't walk for 2 days after....it was still a great experience & I'm proud that I still have what it takes!

3  Thank Bibthesquid
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We did the 8 mile walk to the waterfalls and it was an incredible hike with stunning views of the Napali coast. It is not an easy hike and the trail was quite muddy but it was so worth it. The waterfalls are very beautiful and an excellent place to have lunch and a swim. I would not recommend to do this with little childeren as it will take you easily 6 to 8 hours to complete.
Otherwise go for it, just incredible.

1  Thank Freya R
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Fantastic hike (just did the 8 miles round trip to the falls and back). Fantastic scenery. Steep and rough in some places, make sure you have enough time. Very windy in some exposed places, but still and very hot for a lot of the trail. Bring more water than you think you'll need. I saw people drinking out of streams who ran low. I did not bring good footwear for this unplanned hike, so I bought some "disposable" water shoes at Walmart that morning. Good decision, my running shoes would have been drenched and muddy. Pleasant drive to get to the end of the road. Normally would not recommend this hike solo, given the trail, but at least on a Sunday, even if you broke your ankle, it was probably less than 10 min before someone came by--less before turning inland to the falls.

1  Thank uwman
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We did the four mile roundtrip to the first beach with our two kids (14 & 10). It was a sunny/rainy day...it changed every 15 minutes! Trail was slick, lots of boulders and tree trunks, spectacular scenery and hot in the exposed areas. I have to say that again...spectacular scenery!!! You will have places where there is no scenery, but then it opens up to jaw dropping views of a beach or the Napali Coast!! We lucked out and it rained on our way back to cool us off. It is a tough hike with tough uphill climbs, although my knees seemed to hurt more going downhill. We completed the hike in 2.5 hours (as my husband said, I added 20 minutes with taking pictures). Bring a backpack with water and snacks to enjoy when you get to the beach before heading back. Also, there are a few stray cats at the beach, so if your kids like to feed them, bring snacks. You cannot swim or wade in the water, as it is way too dangerous!

4  Thank Deanna9