“If you don't have something better to do...”
Review of Fern Grotto

and up
Kauai: Waimea Canyon and Fern Grotto Kauai
Ranked #98 of 290 things to do in Kauai
More attraction details
Owner description: This fern-capped cave is a favorite wedding site.
Reviewed 19 April 2009

It wasn't a great experience for me. The boat was full( can you say buses?) and frail ladies were trying to snap pictures of everything.

The best part of the trip is the river itself and its story. I did not find the hula show corny, but if you're not sited in the center you won't see much anyway. The female vocal singer was really good, but I'd prefer they limit themselves to Hawaiian songs.

The grotto is nice even without the ferns. I'm sure it was much better before the hurricane when the grotto was accessible.

It's not worth the money unless you are trying to fill some time. It felt like an assembly line.

2  Thank SeaRes

Reviewed 22 February 2009

Our family had so much fun riding up the River on the Smith boats. You board and sit on long benches, it is open air. There's music and singing and hula and they tell the story of the grotto on the way.

The ferns and gardens are spectacular. We felt we were in a tropical paradise being serenaded by live Hawaiian musicians. They made us feel so welcome and the kids had a ball. The price is very reasonable for all the entertainment they provide.

This was one of our favorite stops on Kauai.

3  Thank mondavvi
Reviewed 10 February 2009

Fern Grotto is cheesy, corny, hokey, you really feel conned. The Fern Grotto is pathetic. The singers look miserable. I could hear them thinking "take their money and run." If I hadn't been amused that it was so corny, I would have rated this terrible.

2  Thank Kimberly E
Reviewed 18 June 2008

We were driving around the island (may 2008) and thought we would stop here. I went up to the check-in counter, no-one was in line, so I went to the window and asked the clerk if there was still time to make the 1:30 boat..(it was about 1:22) In a really snotty voice she said "i'm helping HER right now" and points to a lady getting her purse out of her car. And I was supposed to know this how? The lady was still getting her purse out of the car, and there was only a few minutes before the boat loaded, I just wanted to know if I could get on, so I asked again "well is there still time to get on the 1:30?". The clerk rolls her eyes and doesn't answer me.

I got back in my car and left. If that was their service at the check in counter I wanted no where near that boat!

2  Thank Mary626
Reviewed 25 April 2008

The Fern Grotto is but a shadow of its original lush glory. I visited it In April 2008, and only a small portion of the ferns that once covered the grotto have recovered from the hurricane. Worse yet, rains of 2006 caused rock slides and it is now unsafe to enter the grotto,. Visitors must stand on a wooden platform a 100 yards or so away and look at it. To add insult to injury, the singers who sing the Hawaiian wedding song for each group have no raised platform to stand on, so only a small portion of each boatload of visitors can even see them. A very disappointing trip for anyone who has seen the Grotto in its glory. Just a tourist trap now. Save you Money.

4  Thank Jim_McOlney_MD

Been to Fern Grotto? Share your experiences!