“Enjoyable, but not the same as it was”
Review of Fern Grotto

US$111.35*
Kauai Waimea Canyon and Wailua River
Ranked #103 of 286 things to do in Kauai
More attraction details
Owner description: This fern-capped cave is a favorite wedding site.
Reviewed 24 May 2009

This was our 4th trip to the Grotto. Each time we bring new family members who are seeing it for the first time. We were told of heavy rainfall which washed out some of the ferns and caused rock slides. In January, 2005, we were allowed to walk into the grotto and under the ferns. We sat and listened to the singers who were positioned in the grotto itself, and their voices carried as if they were plugged into some amplifiers and speakers. In May, 2009, we could see the grotto and the ferns that are left trying to make a comeback. We were on a large uncovered wooden deck about 40 feet from the grotto, and although the singers were good, their voices just didn't resonate from the corner of the deck. It's just not the same. The boat ride was informative, relaxing, and enjoyable. We (every passenger) even stood up and was taught the hula. I'm good. Fortunately there were only about 20 people aboard. I don't think it's worth $20. I am sure that we wouldn't go back without 1st timers. We combined our AirVentures air trip with the Fern Grotto land trip, so the Grotto tour actually only cost us $4.00. It was worth it, and we didn't have to do the Grotto the same day as the AirVenture, which helped.

2  Thank 2BSouthern

Reviewed 19 April 2009

It wasn't a great experience for me. The boat was full( can you say buses?) and frail ladies were trying to snap pictures of everything.

The best part of the trip is the river itself and its story. I did not find the hula show corny, but if you're not sited in the center you won't see much anyway. The female vocal singer was really good, but I'd prefer they limit themselves to Hawaiian songs.

The grotto is nice even without the ferns. I'm sure it was much better before the hurricane when the grotto was accessible.

It's not worth the money unless you are trying to fill some time. It felt like an assembly line.

2  Thank SeaRes
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Our family had so much fun riding up the River on the Smith boats. You board and sit on long benches, it is open air. There's music and singing and hula and they tell the story of the grotto on the way.

The ferns and gardens are spectacular. We felt we were in a tropical paradise being serenaded by live Hawaiian musicians. They made us feel so welcome and the kids had a ball. The price is very reasonable for all the entertainment they provide.

This was one of our favorite stops on Kauai.

3  Thank mondavvi
Reviewed 10 February 2009

Fern Grotto is cheesy, corny, hokey, you really feel conned. The Fern Grotto is pathetic. The singers look miserable. I could hear them thinking "take their money and run." If I hadn't been amused that it was so corny, I would have rated this terrible.

2  Thank Kimberly E
Reviewed 18 June 2008

We were driving around the island (may 2008) and thought we would stop here. I went up to the check-in counter, no-one was in line, so I went to the window and asked the clerk if there was still time to make the 1:30 boat..(it was about 1:22) In a really snotty voice she said "i'm helping HER right now" and points to a lady getting her purse out of her car. And I was supposed to know this how? The lady was still getting her purse out of the car, and there was only a few minutes before the boat loaded, I just wanted to know if I could get on, so I asked again "well is there still time to get on the 1:30?". The clerk rolls her eyes and doesn't answer me.

I got back in my car and left. If that was their service at the check in counter I wanted no where near that boat!

2  Thank Mary626