“Don't waste your time” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Pool

Ranked #347 of 363 things to do in Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: A spectacular oceanside waterfall.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

It looks as if there haven't been any reviews since our version of Maui Revealed was published (2008). Sounds like if you are sneaky or persuasive enough and come at the right time of day/week, you might be able to make it down there. We were unfortunately scared off by the crappy road (our rental had very low clearance) and the ominous signage to keep out and beware of dogs. It is obvious the locals don't want you there and it wasnt worth it to stir up a situation or-if we had made it down there- risked damage to our car or persons.

8 Thank Rtwolves

Calgary, Alberta
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 359 helpful votes
“Blue Pool a no go...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

So, ya... Got in there and got turned around. It's funny how the locals set up fruit stands & other roadside shops to accept your cash, but threaten you to stay away from local attractions. I thought Maui was different, but get 5 minutes from the resort areas & tourists aren't welcome. There are quite a few "advertised" attractions that have been blocked by locals. I think in the future I'll spend my money someplace that welcomes tourists. I think the locals need to know that unemployent would be about 99% if it wasn't for us pesky tourists! There are a ton of other islands in the world to try... Goodbye Hawaii...

Visited October 2011
19 Thank Paulin_Family
Mount Shasta, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Blue Pool in the early nineties”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Ignore the Oct 2010 date--I had to enter it in order to write this. I found out about Blue Pool around 1990 during a trip there with my girlfriend. A local who was a friend of mine told me about it and gave me a hand drawn map. It wasn't in the underground guide books. There was no controversy. We drove down the road, crossed the creek at the bottom, and walked along the rockstrewn beach til' we got there. It's beauty was unmistakable. We saw no one one the way or at the pool. The crescent shaped walls were covered with multicolored flowers. We stayed several hours, enjoying the peace, beauty, and serenity of the magic of the pool and the large warm rocks around it. A pity it is, to have found out that access is now denied. That said, I'd respect the protective locals guarding their precious commodity from invading hordes. The problem undoubtedly began too many people told too many people. A secret like this is/was something everyone should strive to keep that way. Save yourself the hassle; getting harrased by angry people is bad juju for you, so enjoy one of the many other pools on Maui, instead--and take care of your karma.
Rog Mt. Shasta

Visited October 2010
15 Thank rOgdives_7
Hana, Hawaii
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Stay out”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

There is too much controversy over the falls. Not only do you have to trespass through someones yard to get there you also have to trespass on over a mile of private road. There are even residents who patrol the road to turn you around.It is a sacred site to the Hawaiian people and a conservation area. People aren't even supposed to be visiting there anyway.

Visited September 2011
8 Thank HanaRenegade
Kihei, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Something NEEDS To Be Done Before Someone Is MURDERED!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

The confrontation my family and I had with the locals could not have been more dangerous. We were driving along the supposedly PUBLIC road to the supposedly PUBLIC attraction when we were flagged down by a friendly looking old man. However, looks can be decieving.

He immiediately began screaming, cursing and yelling at us to "get off his land" (He was so riled up I could feel his spit hitting my face). We were trying to talk some sense to the beligerant old man when we noticed that there was a woman standing about 15 yards behind him holding a shotgun. He said "if you don't leave now I will [...] kill you all"!

That was about the end of the rope for me. He threatened my innocent family's lives!?! This crazy guy and his wife need to be locked up! We went straight to the Hana police to report the incident (they were not in and no one answered the phone; guess they dont care)! The whole experience pretty much ruined what should have been an amazing day. The kids never stopped crying, wife never calmed down, etc.

One of Two things NEEDS to happen before someone gets MURDERED!

If it is private land, the road needs to be officially closed off from public access (ie: gate, fence, etc.) Also, new guidebooks of the road to Hana must remove info about this location.

OR ...

If it is public land, the aggressive hostile locals need to accept the situation and deal with it! Specifically, to the crazy old pair who threatened the lives of my young defenseless family; I hope you rot in hell.

Visited August 2011