“Terrifying and Beautiful”
Review of Kahekili Highway

Kahekili Highway
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The views of the ocean are some of the best you will find anywhere in the world. I was on a work trip and I was the one who drove, but I wish I wasn't. I was driving 5 mph the entire way and I was terrified the entire way. I recommend asking someone else to drive so that you don't have your hands glued to the steering wheel and your eyes glued to the "one lane" road throughout the journey. Also, we went after work and the sun was coming down. It takes about 1-2 hours to navigate all the scary parts of the cliff road (which was the entire road). You don't want to get stuck on that road at night. Plus, it's pointless to go at night, because aside from being extremely dangerous, you can't see any of the spectacular views anyway. Definitely recommended, but be VERY careful.

1  Thank Erica K V
There are newer reviews for Kahekili Highway

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I should have read all the way through my Maui guide book, then I would not have chosen to drive all the way through the Kahekili Highway. This drive made my heart beating wildly and put me right at the verge of a panic attack. It is no highway!! More like a narrow path up and down the hills with millions of curves and ...oh did I mention...most spots only allow one car. So what do you do if another car approaches you. You hope to find a spot wide enough so it can pass. If not you have to back the car downhill at the worst, around some bends until you find a spot. i had to do that with a huge jeep and it took me forever. Scared that I would run the car either into the rocks on the one side or down the cliff on the other side. I managed, but not without leaving a dent and some scratches at the ar bumper.

This road is not worth it. You cant concentrate on the beauty of the natu, as you are too scared if you make it out of there. If you don't feel comfortable driving backwards downhill, don't do it!

6  Thank ManjaK
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife and I rented a Vespa in Lahaina before setting foot on this adventure. We went all the way up as far as Papanalahoa Point before turning back. Truly beautiful! If we had continued on for a few more miles we would have reached the Olivine Pools and then run into the narrow hazardous road everyone is talking about.

TIP: You can see much of the scenic views by driving north from Lahaina, just be sure to turn around at the Olivine Pools before the road narrows and becomes hazardous. Only keep going if you are truly feeling adventurous!

Lots of great photo opportunities on this highway. I highly recommend it!

3  Thank JandJ2001
Reviewed 6 May 2013

My Mom wanted to see Lahaina, where she stayed the last time in Maui and I found this awesome route on my iphone where were could drive along the coast to get there. The road kept getting smaller and smaller and more and more rugged. Next thing we knew there were cliffs with no guard rails and warnings for single lane roads. Is was MUCH more scary AND scenic than Hana in my opinion. It would have been much better if we were driving clockwise where we were always hugging the mountain but that was not the case and it was quite intimidating. At one point there was a blind curve on a single road and I literally screamed when a car slowly peaked around. Luckily, they backed up but can you imagine backing up on a mountain with no guard rail. ? Anyhow, if you are adventurous and want something off the beaten path this is for you ( just please go clockwise.) :)

5  Thank Jenwalsh7
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I found myself taking this route with no idea how rugged and perilous the route was - as many have mentioned, the standard issue tourist maps make it appear that this is just an ordinary state road, and a faster route from west Maui to Kahului. It may be a shorter distance, but at 5-10 mph, it is far longer trip. That said, it has incredible views. I was fortunate to be driving in sunny clear weather, and I encountered only two other cars the entire trip, so I did not have to worry about passing on the very narrow road. Downsides: 1) the driver will have little opportunity to enjoy the views, because there are few places to pull over, and driving requires all your skill and concentration; 2) takes two full hours from West Maui to Kuhuli.

4  Thank Michael O

Been to Kahekili Highway? Share your experiences!