“I don't know how to rate this. Beautiful, terrifying, down right crazy.”
Review of Kahekili Highway

Kahekili Highway
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I make it to Maui one or more times each year. On my last trip, my wife couldn't join me, so I decided to do some things that I thought she might not enjoy, including driving around the west part of Maui. Starting at Ka'anapali, the road is in pretty good shape until you get to Nakalele Blowhole. Shortly after passing the blowhole things deteriorate - badly. A two lane highway becomes a one lane road that's more like a gravel road at times. This is a road without guard rails on the edge of falloffs of hundreds of feet. It is dangerous, don't fool yourself. The locals I know that I was crazy to drive this stretch of road. I must agree.

The views are great, but there are better on Maui. There are no particular sites to see along the way, except views of ocean, beach and mountains. Drive to the blowhole then turn around and go back via Kapalua and Ka'anapali.

After reading the reviews and feel you still much go I highly recommend taking the following into consideration:

1. Drive clockwise around the island. This way you will be on the inside of most of the fall offs. Don't start in Kahului.
2. Drive a narrow, small vehicle. I was in a jeep wrangler. This is a good choice.
3. Don't expect to go quickly. This isn't a long drive, it's a slow drive.
4. If your spouse yells at you for doing stupid things, don't take them because they'll likely be freaking out and distracting you at a time when you need your full concentration on the road.
5. Use the facilities before you begin. There's nowhere to stop to take care of this along the way.

You will meet cars going the other way. You'll usually be on a one-lane road. You may have to back up steep inclines or down steep inclines to let someone by. You may have to pull into small areas with plenty of rocks that will dent your rental car to let people by. You will be within a few feet of dropoffs that will kill you. When passing people, you may be within inches of dropoffs that will kill you. To make things more difficult, it rains often in this area. I really don't advise taking this drive.

8  Thank 1960Corvette

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Just in case you want to stop to regain your composure on this cliff hanger - keep your eye out for the roosters who come right up to your car and may want a ride...

1  Thank Mauigirl1945
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The views of the ocean are some of the best you will find anywhere in the world. I was on a work trip and I was the one who drove, but I wish I wasn't. I was driving 5 mph the entire way and I was terrified the entire way. I recommend asking someone else to drive so that you don't have your hands glued to the steering wheel and your eyes glued to the "one lane" road throughout the journey. Also, we went after work and the sun was coming down. It takes about 1-2 hours to navigate all the scary parts of the cliff road (which was the entire road). You don't want to get stuck on that road at night. Plus, it's pointless to go at night, because aside from being extremely dangerous, you can't see any of the spectacular views anyway. Definitely recommended, but be VERY careful.

1  Thank Erica K V
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I should have read all the way through my Maui guide book, then I would not have chosen to drive all the way through the Kahekili Highway. This drive made my heart beating wildly and put me right at the verge of a panic attack. It is no highway!! More like a narrow path up and down the hills with millions of curves and ...oh did I mention...most spots only allow one car. So what do you do if another car approaches you. You hope to find a spot wide enough so it can pass. If not you have to back the car downhill at the worst, around some bends until you find a spot. i had to do that with a huge jeep and it took me forever. Scared that I would run the car either into the rocks on the one side or down the cliff on the other side. I managed, but not without leaving a dent and some scratches at the ar bumper.

This road is not worth it. You cant concentrate on the beauty of the natu, as you are too scared if you make it out of there. If you don't feel comfortable driving backwards downhill, don't do it!

6  Thank ManjaK
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife and I rented a Vespa in Lahaina before setting foot on this adventure. We went all the way up as far as Papanalahoa Point before turning back. Truly beautiful! If we had continued on for a few more miles we would have reached the Olivine Pools and then run into the narrow hazardous road everyone is talking about.

TIP: You can see much of the scenic views by driving north from Lahaina, just be sure to turn around at the Olivine Pools before the road narrows and becomes hazardous. Only keep going if you are truly feeling adventurous!

Lots of great photo opportunities on this highway. I highly recommend it!

4  Thank JandJ2001