I make it to Maui one or more times each year. On my last trip, my wife couldn't join me, so I decided to do some things that I thought she might not enjoy, including driving around the west part of Maui. Starting at Ka'anapali, the road is in pretty good shape until you get to Nakalele Blowhole. Shortly after passing the blowhole things deteriorate - badly. A two lane highway becomes a one lane road that's more like a gravel road at times. This is a road without guard rails on the edge of falloffs of hundreds of feet. It is dangerous, don't fool yourself. The locals I know that I was crazy to drive this stretch of road. I must agree.
The views are great, but there are better on Maui. There are no particular sites to see along the way, except views of ocean, beach and mountains. Drive to the blowhole then turn around and go back via Kapalua and Ka'anapali.
After reading the reviews and feel you still much go I highly recommend taking the following into consideration:
1. Drive clockwise around the island. This way you will be on the inside of most of the fall offs. Don't start in Kahului.
2. Drive a narrow, small vehicle. I was in a jeep wrangler. This is a good choice.
3. Don't expect to go quickly. This isn't a long drive, it's a slow drive.
4. If your spouse yells at you for doing stupid things, don't take them because they'll likely be freaking out and distracting you at a time when you need your full concentration on the road.
5. Use the facilities before you begin. There's nowhere to stop to take care of this along the way.
You will meet cars going the other way. You'll usually be on a one-lane road. You may have to back up steep inclines or down steep inclines to let someone by. You may have to pull into small areas with plenty of rocks that will dent your rental car to let people by. You will be within a few feet of dropoffs that will kill you. When passing people, you may be within inches of dropoffs that will kill you. To make things more difficult, it rains often in this area. I really don't advise taking this drive.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.