“Diamond Dream Trip”

Ranked #30 of 55 Hotels in Maui
New York State
“Diamond Dream Trip”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This trip was part of the "Diamond Dream Holiday" we received by purchasing an ownership through Diamond Resorts International. The 5 night stay was actually next door at the Aston Ka'anapali Shores, but we figured 5 nights just wasn't enough so we used our points to book an extra 3 nights here at KBC. Normally we stay at much smaller all-inclusives in the Caribbean through Sandals so this much bigger resort was quite a change for us, but we were not disappointed. Getting used to the non all-inclusive aspect of this trip was our only major issue, having to pay as we go. KBC is in a great location right on the beach, and the views are spectacular, especially with the oceanview room like we had. We were facing south, so we could see the mountain to the east, the coast south towards Lahaina, and the ocean looking west with both Lana'i & Moloka'i in our field of view. The resort in itself was great, large pool & right on the beach. The beach swimming was ok, as it is quite rocky just offshore, but there were a few spots where you could wade out without the hard ground underneath. The resort staff were very friendly & accomodating, and it was nice being recognized as Diamond owners. The room was spacious, with an extremely large bathroom that had a separate tub & shower with 2 separate vanities. We had a large balcony off both the bedroom & living room, which was great at sunrise, sunset & late at night when you just wanted to listen to the waves. Even though this is a large property, it didn't feel crowded at all. The valet service was phenomenal, with great secure underground parking. Three people we would like to single out for exceptional service are Holly from Special Events, Martha from Concierge, and Grant from sales. They all made our trip even that much more special. It's funny to hear people complain about ownership seminars. If you are just there for the freebies, then you know what to expect. Just sit through it, tell them NO, and be on your way with your stuff. It is their job to try to sell you an ownership. If you've never been through one, be prepared to have a rep try to sell their ownership on you. It's all about your expectations. Our Diamond ownership thus far has been great, and we are extremely happy we purchased it. Just be prepared for the upfront bottom line price, keeping in mind where you are.....HAWAII, where the cost of living is much, much higher than the mainland US. All in all, this was a great experience & we will go back as many times as we can afford.

Room Tip: Try to get a south, west or north facing oceanview room, if available. Unless that doesn't matt...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Parli32
Diamond R, Manager at Ka'anapali Beach Club, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our accommodations and team members at Ka’anapali Beach Club. It is our goal to provide our guests with best customer service and assist in making their stay a memorable one. We look forward to your return!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Kentucky
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had stayed at this resort several years ago when it was an Embassy Suites, so we knew that it had nice large rooms and was in a good location for us and we were not disappointed. The resort has converted to time share but you can still just book a room there without being a member. We were not bothered by the time share staff at all, as you can be in a lot of places like this. We showed no interest and they left us alone, which was nice.
The grounds are well maintained and beautiful. We spent most days at the pool or beach. Since we have been to Hawaii several times, we had already done most of the "touristy" things and just wanted to relax. The beach is somewhat small and you are not allowed to take the chairs down to the beach, so that's a little disappointing.
Overall, we had a great stay, but just be aware that everything in Hawaii is super expensive (restaurants, drinks, groceries), but it's to be expected.
We did have one problem on our first full day at the resort. We had received a notice that maintenance would be changing out the AC filters in the rooms which was no big deal, but when we returned to our room after being out all day, we found that our door had been left open for who knows how long. We called the front desk and they sent security, who confirmed by checking the key card swipes that the maintenance guy had left it open. He apologized but that was all we heard about it. Luckily nothing was stolen, but we really expected that a manager would contact us and we were disappointed that they didn't seem to feel it was as big of a deal as we thought it was.

Room Tip: Wi fi charge was included in the daily "resort fee".
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank keithjill
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Let me start by explaining the 5 rating I gave the resort. The Ka'anapali Beach Club doesn't compare in a lot of ways to some of the nicer resorts we have visited on the islands. However, I can't come up with anything that we were disappointed with and for that reason they get the "Excellent".
Because of our flight schedule, we spent the first night on Maui at another hotel. We checked out of that hotel around 11am and went directly to KBC. We left our bags with the bellmen and went to the front desk to pre-register. I was met at the front desk by Ruby-lynn who took all the usual information. She was very pleasant and asked if we were celebrating anything. I told her we had just celebrated our 37th anniversary. She said the room would be ready by 4pm. We came back about 4:30 and we're met at the desk by another lovely young lady who's name I can't remember. She went to get our keys and when she returned she said we had been upgraded from a scenic view room to a ocean view, newly renovated room on an upper floor. I know Ruby-Lynn had something to do with this and I never saw her again at the desk to thank her.
When we went up to the room we went straight to the lanai to check the view. It was amazing and we just stood there and took it in. Finally I asked my wife if she had noticed the room as we came in. Neither of us had. The room, however, was obviously newly renovated and was very nice and spacious. The furniture, unlike many hotels, was comfortable and functional. Other than the occasional kids running in the halls, we never heard any noise.
I have to address the whole timeshare sales pitch situation. When we checked in there was a box that you checked whether or not you wanted to be contacted by representatives from Diamond Resorts. I checked no and we were never asked again. If you are ever staying at a resort that is selling timeshares, points, etc. and you go to their presentation for the free gifts, please don't then complain about doing it. Ok, off the soapbox.
I realize that most of the time a trip is what you decide to make it, but the folks at Ka'anapali Beach Club couldn't have made our week any more special. Hey, we didn't even think the pink building was so bad.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael J
Orlando
Reviewed 11 August 2014

BACKGROUND: My husband and I decided to stay here on a whim. We are members of RCI, and in seven years, I have never seen a place in Hawaii up for grabs. This said, when I saw it, I snatched it up! We waited a whole year to visit! LOL.
CONCIERGE: To begin with, I contacted the concierge through email. I probably should have called, but as I am in Florida, I wasn't sure of their timing and when they'd be there or not. Communication through email was a pain, and the person I spoke with would not get too detailed over the phone with prices and such. I thought, "Surely there must be some 'basic compaines' you suggest." I was reassured there were hundreds to choose from, and not to worry. I asked if there was anything I needed to book early due to book-ups. I was assured, no.
This was the case with most excursions, but the one you have to book weeks out in advance (if you care to) is the Old La'Haina Luau. I was really bummed I was given faulty information here. So we "settled" for a Luau at a nearby hotel (a nice 20-30 min walk by boardwalk/beach). It was okay. :/
The upside to contacting them early was that the concierge did set up a shuttle (round trip) for my husband and I from the airport and back. That was really nice. :) I heard many others rented cars. We didn't need to. :)
While at the concierge, we were offered to go on a timeshare shpeel for $100 bonus to use at various restaurants, shops nearby. However, had spoken to someone in the shuttle that they were offered $200. So...don't settle. :) We got $200 and we spent every dime! Along with the bonus - you also get whole-sale prices for excursions. That REALLY made a difference in our budget, let me tell you! The prices dropped to half or a third of cost.
We were also offered a free breakfast buffet if we went to their excursions presentation. FYI: the breakfast at the presentation IS NOT BUFFET! LOL. It's some juice, coffee, and muffins. BUT - they give you vouchers to use at your leisure later. :) I'm not sure if there was some miscommunication there, or not. Just funny. My husband, however, did NOT find it funny. LOL.
We saved the buffet for our last day (as we did not fly out until late at night), and it was very tasty! It had a man whipping up omelettes and other tasty offerings. :) I'm pretty sure there's a buffet package you can buy when you first sign in. However, we did not do this.
BREAKFAST TIPS: There is a place called "Slappy Cakes" near by which we thought looked cute and trendy. DISLIKE! We were completely ignored for 20mintues at the BAR! What?! We made eye contact and tried to ask for a menu, and even some drinks, and the bartender turned his back on us!? Ewww. No thanks. Plus the prices were ridiculous.
We found if you go to the grocery store called: Times, near Slappy and the Beach Club, they serve a really tasty breakfast! If you wait until 10am, they put the "left overs" in bento boxes and sell for really cheap! We bought them and took them back to our room, and reheated the next day. Delish!
TIMESHARE SHPEEL: While on the timeshare, we set a timer on the phone to go off at 90mins. We let man know what we had done and that we would respect his time and give him a good listen, but at 90mins, he needed to respect ours. It was a deal. And it worked really well. He only gave us highlights, the numbers, and when the timer went off, we really only sat an extra 10mins (our choice). We did not buy a timeshare. :)
Well, back to the hotel. The room we stayed in was a "studio"? I still question it as it was HUGE! And it even had a kitchenette! Andother blessing! And laundry on the same floor with free detergent (just call the operator and request it!) :)
ON SITE STORE: Really sweet. The ladies there are very kind, and there are some nice things to buy. We used some of our credits, there. They even let us use it on the fine Hawaiian Drink : 'Ōkolehao Liqueur by MAUI, there. It is VERY high alcohol content, but we figured the perfect drink! We mixed one part drink, and one part POG (Passion, Orange, Guava) juice. If you buy the bigger one at Times, they were having a really good sale. I attached photos of the drinks, in case you are interested. Sure, a Mai Tai is nice. But THIS felt like TRUE Hawaii. :)
RESTAURANT: Nice place. A little pricey. We tried the Hawaiian Pizza. :) Do NOT go there to ask for a spare ketchup packet. LOL. My husband and I had bought hotdogs and Hawaiian Purple Taro rolls (posted a photo) to eat them on. Again, trying to experience some "Hawaii" on our own. LOL. Well - they just wouldn't budge. They would sell them to me. LOL. Ahh well. The dogs and buns were tasty anyhow. But I thought that was a bit stingy of them. :/
POOL: Very nice! Some places for sun and shade. Cute waterfall areas (good for photos). Nice hot tub. Be careful if you choose the "nice looking" spots in full sun looking toward the ocean (near the little beach shower). There are some kamikazee bumble bees, and they are NO JOKE! I left, and they stalked me. For a long time. And then, some other poor, unsuspecting soul got hammered. And again, and again. Don't do it. LOL.
POOL TIP: Don't lose your towel key! (we never did, but they threaten a $50 fine!) Also, at around 6-630pm, when the sun is going down, they have a traditional lighting of the teikis! A man climbs the waterfall and blows a conch shell! That's super fun. :)
BEACH: Nice. A little small. Good for limited walking.
BOARDWALK: If you walk out of the hotel, down the steep little hill, and turn right, you will walk past a hotel and come to another hotel and a gate. If you go in, ask for the gate code, and they will give it to you. That's the shortcut we found to the boardwalk. There is a SUPER tasty restaurant (Duke') - amazing fish tacos, and if you have FourSquare App - you can get a free Hula PIe...mmmm. :) Nice longer walk...and we used this boardwalk and then the open air (free) trolley we found at another hotel to get to Whaler's Village.
WHALER'S VILLAGE: Ehh. Like an open air mall. The good thing is the restaurant: Leilani's. Same owner as Duke's tho. So same food. :/
WHALER'S TIP! If you are a drinker...especially if you love beer (my husband...LOL), you might think to purchase a Maui Brewing TShirt from Crazy Shirts. With it (wearing it), you can go to the Brewing Co. on Wednesdays (I think), and drink for deep discount. My husband loved it. It's nice for non-drinkers, too. :) But they dont' need the tshirt obviously. :)
EXCURSIONS: Soo many. :) If you zip line - get the go-pro (a camera attached to a helmet)...it's totally worth it. Same with the biking down Haneakala. Go pro. Times sells Dramamine (Less Drowsy Formula) for those going on the Road to Hana. We went with a guide as I think my husband and I would kill eachother on such a drive. LOL. PLUS - there are some places only a guide can get you in to! :) My husband and my favorite one - was the cheapest one - funny enough. Simply : parasailing. :) It was beautiful, and at one point the boat slowed JUST enough for us to drop in to the ocean (just legs, and very slowly), and then he sped up again and up we went! It was thrilling and peaceful.
BELLMAN: They are typically nice. However, during the time we stored our luggage (we checked out, and then stayed on premises until about 8pm), something happened and our nice suitcase got cracked. And not a tiny one, either. The bellmen had not been signing their names to the tickets, so ofcourse there was no way to check and see who had "taken care" of it. The security guard claimed he was going to look at footage, and took a statement. I have yet to hear from them (it's been about a month). They had no duct tape, but packing tape. So we made due. If I were you - I'd insist the man taking your bags signs the ticket infront of you. Lesson learned for future.
AIRPORT: Okay during day. At nigth?! HORRENDOUS! No air, all windows open, and TONS of mosquitos...and I mean TONS milling about as if they were at buffet. It was extremely uncomfortable. So get some bug spray, and mentally prepare if you have to leave late.
Okay - I think that's it! :)

Room Tip: Make sure you get an "upgraded room". They are very comfy. Those are on the uppermost floo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Godoesgood
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is the old Embassy Suites that Diamond Properties bought and converted into timeshare properties. The rooms are renovated to include a mini-kitchen in the living area. It is in a great location in front of Kaanapali beach, service is okay and rooms are fairly comfortable. The rating is only 2 because of a few annoying issues. It takes forever to get common bathrooms to be cleaned. Most of the time, they smell like urine. I found toilet paper almost always out. Elevators take forever to come, especially when you're in the higher floors. Of course the employees are all out to accommodate you. They are trying their best so they could take you in for a sales presentation for their timeshare program. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO ATTEND THE TIME SHARE PRESENTATION ! They promise you no obligation to buy, only takes 90 minutes of your time, plus discounted activities and luaus at half price. It is a trap. Even after you waste 90 minutes ( it took us 2 hours!) of your time and decide you don't want it, they try to sell you a sampler program at no cost to you.BEWARE OF THIS SAMPLER. IT WILL COST YOU AT LEAST $ 2700, without you knowing about it. They will pitch it so that it sounds like they are giving you free 15000 points to try it out, but if you are not careful, they slip in an agreement that you pre signed, then charge your credit card. Sneaky, unethical sales people!

Room Tip: South side has better view of the sunset.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Rod C
Diamond R, Manager at Ka'anapali Beach Club, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
We are thrilled that you found our renovated rooms spacious and comfortable and that our location was ideal for you. If there were any issues with cleanliness of the restrooms in our common areas, we certainly apologize and hope that you reached out to the front desk to resolve these concerns. There is no excuse for this. We understand that just as we have a responsibility to provide you with immaculately prepared rooms, we also have the responsibility of keeping our common areas clean, orderly. While we do offer the opportunity to learn more about Diamond Resorts during a 90 minute presentation, your attendance certainly is not mandatory, provided it is not part of the requirements for your stay package.
We assure you that we do not advocate a pushy sales approach and always treat everyone we encounter with the upmost courtesy and respect. In fact, we encourage all guests who feel inconvenienced to contact our reception team immediately. While sales presentations are for only a specific amount of time, a sales person may extend the time frame should they believe there is interest in purchasing. We appreciate your feedback as it is a valuable tool in improving the guest experience and we wish you all the best in your future travels.
Minneapolis
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The KBC is undergoing a construction update, so I would expect that you may see bad reviews regarding noise.

I on the other hand enjoy the beach access, amenities, food and service, for I am only in my room at night when I sleep , and then there is no noise.

Once completed, this hotel will be on the top of everyone's list - you really can't go wrong here!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Rocklin, California
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The staff at the Kaanapali Beach Club is very friendly. We were greeted by everyone who worked there. This is a timeshare so you have the option to attending meetings where they say they will familiarize you with the island or give you a free gift. If you are not into a sales pitch don't attend. They are very nice about it. The property is great and we were in the pool everyday and in the ocean everyday. They have a restaurant so that is very nice to have right there when you are feeling lazy. For those who like to cook to save money you should know there is no oven or stove. I didn't have a problem with this but I an see some people being disappointed. We got a room overlooking the pool. It appears to have been recently renovated so the future and atmosphere was really nice. Each floor has a washer and dryer and I liked that too. No washer and drier in the room, but not a big deal at all. We loved it. I can very comfortably recommend this property.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family