“City boys became Maui cowboys”
Review of Lahaina Stables

Lahaina Stables
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Historic Horseback Ride Lahaina
Ranked #119 of 493 Outdoor Activities in Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: We do horse trail riding. We do a AM ride, ck in is 8:30 AM. We do lunch ride, with complete fresh deli lunch. Ck in is 10:30 We do a sunset ride, which, because of the caring lengths of the days, ck. In changes throughout the year.
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We decided to go on the sunset ride and was by far one of the best experiences we had during our recent trip to Maui. After brief introductions to our horses, my son and husband easily walked their horses across the street to join the other riders. I met my horse, Dixie, and easily mounted her after following one of the cowgirl's instructions. Anxiety and panic quickly came over me and the cowgirls were soooo understanding of my fear. I knew the cowgirl sensed my apprehension and I was thankful for it. She didn't pressure me to continue with the ride. (Thank you Mary and Jessie!!!)

Alas, the boys continued without me and 2-1/2 hours later, I see them coming back with the largest grins across their faces! The city boys have become Maui cowboys!!! My 7-year-old especially loved the riding adventure and wanted to come back the next day for more! My husband said that the cowgirls took special attention in making sure our 7-year-old was ok. They were in the back of the group heading toward the mountains and returned in front of the pack (one of the cowgirls always nearby). There was no trotting - just a relaxed horse walking. The boys had so much fun...a true father-son quality bonding time...priceless!!!

Thank you for such a wonderful experience - for the riders and non-rider alike! We will definitely be back!!! (and next time, I will ride!!!)

All reviews
"trail mix"
in 5 reviews
"granola bars"

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Spent 11 beautiful days in Hawaii, went on a number of excursions and did a wealth of activities... this was not only the WORST of the lot, but just plain bad.
Signed up for the ride the same day I went. The hotel concierge actually had to wait on hold for a period of time so the stable could confirm there would be enough guides for the number of riders. They confirmed there would be two.
Arrived for the "sunset" ride and there was one man there handling some horses. I stopped briefly as he chatted with a couple and he didn't address me, so I went inside the building and found no one there. Was I supposed to check in with someone? Is there procedure before a ride? Who knew?
I went back outside and just stood there as the man chatted with the couple. After a while a group of women arrived. At this point we're already 10 minutes late to start the 2 hour ride.
After finally being directed to go and fill out paperwork on a table on the porch, the guide said his co-worker had been in a 5-car accident after running down the mountain to get a snack. Really? Ever driven in Maui? There are just a couple of two-lane main roads. If it'd happened on one of those half the island would be tied up... but I digress. Needless to say there was only one guide.
After finally coming up into the building and asking for vouchers and paperwork the guide started getting folks mounted on the horses -- which during the extended wait we'd watched as one had an impromptu bucking fit and another almost tumble to ground after nodding off.
Finally started the ride more than a half hour late (you'll realize why this is so important at the end.) The so called "ride" is actually through a residential neighborhood -- though the homes are spaced out and on sizable pieces of land, it's still a neighborhood!!. Of course my horse was the hungriest of the bunch and always wanted to stop and eat, but that afforded me opportunities to get up a nice gallop to catch up with the pack. Apparently the guide was very chatty, but since there was only one folks in the back of the pack couldn't hear what he was saying.
Halfway through the ride we stopped to get the horses water. While the horses drank we were ushered over to a picnic table covered with bird poop. The guide pulled out a tablecloth, that I know hadn't been washed all season and wasn't anymore clean than the exposed-to-the-elements-table, and poured a stack of granola bars and bottles of water out for the group.
We saddled back up and headed down the mountain. The ride okay... until the end. You see since we hadn't gotten started until very late the last 15 minutes of the ride was in the PITCH BLACK! Got back to the stables and could barely see to dismount.
I'm being honest when I say this was an AWFUL experience, that if I'd let it could have ruined my trip.
If I could give Lahaina Stables less that one-star I would. Horrible!

10  Thank Deborah G
nightlifemaui, Owner at Lahaina Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Responding to a review, written by an individual who rode at my ranch 11.5 months ago can be a challenge; researching her accusations is next to impossible. She doesn't mention guides or horses my name? And guides and horses do change, memories fade.
Why would someone waite 11.5 months to write such an unfavorable review?
First and foremost: OUR RIDES DO NOT RIDE THRU A NEIGHBORHOOD! Check out the last 25 reviews below this one. We do pass thru 4 50 ac farms, passing within a stones throw of coconut and mango orchards. One home, just as we leave the ranch is approximately 100 yards from our trail. Over the course of a 2 hr. ride, we pass between 150 and 300 yards of 2 additional home (both with lovely dragon fruit and bamboo trees. The remainder of the trail is along mountain ridges, looking down (way down) at 2 ac. lush agriculture lots. We also ride along another mountain ride and into a lush mountain valley at about 1,500 elev. We do allow the horses to drink clean mountain water, while we serve snacks and water. And it is possible that the day this person rode, we had a dirty tablecloth on which we placed snacks and water. As for getting back after dark; I want all my future guest to know that this is possible. The sunset ride can be tricky. Several variables; including guest arriving late, slow downs on the trail, caused by 2 leggeds, or 4 leggeds having an unforeseeable event can thro off the timing by 10 to 20 minutes. When that occurs, mother nature is unforgiving & on these rare occasions we do get back after dark. If this is a grave concern, please try our Historical Morning ride or our Lunch Ride. Happy Trails,
Ray Fuqua, owner

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

On our last day we decided to do a ride. After looking at various options we chose lahaina stables because they were close, they allowed our 7 year old to ride, and they had good reviews! Sweet horses, salty cowboys, nice view!

2  Thank Lisa P
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Our guides, Seth & Mary, were very attentive to our group. Our 6 year old was completely at ease, our teens were entertained and my 75 year old mom had a great time. I felt very safe with all of our children and both Seth and Mary went to great lengths to make sure everyone felt comfortable and enjoyed themselves. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

1  Thank Cara P