“Paradise in the Pacific”
Review of Hamoa Beach

and up
Road to Hana: Luxury First Class Private Tour
Ranked #108 of 378 things to do in Maui
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I'm picky with my beaches and easily rank Hamoa Beach as amongst the most beautiful in the world! We spent an amazing early day there. Tip..go early if you stay in Hana before the day trippers come! We had the beach practically to ourselves until noon!

1  Thank laurastegeman

Reviewed 8 May 2014

This place is a little slice of heaven. I have been to about 30 beaches in my life in Mexico, Italy, Spain, all over the United States and including others in Maui but this is my favorite so far, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The trees run right up to the beach providing natural shade at the back of the beach, especially in the afternoon. If you look up at the hills from the right angle, you will see no signs of civilization, making you feel like you might have just shipwrecked on a desert island. The beach was never overcrowded and early in the morning you could be the only one on it. The crowd was a nice mix of locals and tourists. The sand is a black and white mix providing a unique color that mixed beautifully with the blue water. The waves were big at the end of April, probably 4-6 feet, which was great for body surfing and body boarding.

All this being said, I understand some of the negative reviews, because It would not be a good beach for small children or inexperienced swimmers to swim at (although it could still be great to hang out at). Even experienced swimmers need to use caution.

4  Thank kkongs
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Hamoa beach is a wonderful place to enjoy the afternoon. There is so many great things to do and see in Hana.I always make this one of my stops when visiting.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Nice beach but definatly not the nicest in maui. The tides were really strong, not that good for swimming but good for watching surfers.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

On your way out of Hana after your long drive, it will take you about 10 minutes to get to Hamoa beach. This is without exception one of my favorite places on all of Maui, and considering we have been to Maui and Hana over 8 times, we can speak with some authority.

Staying in Hana for at least 3 days is recommended. This way you can leisurely see all the great spots this beautiful part of the world has to offer. I suggest you pick up a copy of MAUI REVEALED, as we learned everything from this book. Very accurate and great directions. The primary attractions of Hana are;

Ohe'o Gulch - 7 Pools area and Bamboo forest 4 mile hike.

Hamoa Beach area

Red Sand Beach area

Venus Pool area

Wai'anapanapa State Park

Drive down past the gas station about 10 minutes and you will see the very small sign for Hamoa beach on the left......and yes it is a left turn ( kind of obvious because thats where the water is ! ). Drive down a little bit and you'll see a small parking area for Hamoa on the left, with this amazing beach right in front of you. When we are in Hana, we want to spend a few days just here since its so beautiful. Spend at least half a day. If you are staying in Hana, dow the road a bit from the dirt parking area of Hamoa you may find fisherman with the days fresh catch. They will filet the fish right there for you and then you go home and cook them up. Amazing! Hamoa beach actually consists of 2 separate beaches which are connected through a loop road that circles around the waters edge, off the only main road. They are about 5 minutes apart, and I suggest you visit both. The one I have supplied photos for here is my favorite.

A word of caution is to beware of powerful rip tides, whether you are an experienced swimmer, surfer or parent....BEWARE. I almost bit the dust in one and if it were not for my 17 year old son pulling me out of one and just dumb luck, we both may have died that day. Swim in the center and toward the shore. Don't go too deep as it does carry you out. Watch out especially for your little ones. As you can see from the photos, when my daughter was little we simply kept her in the waist high water which is plenty of fun for hours.

9  Thank mrtylerdurton

Been to Hamoa Beach? Share your experiences!