“Australian visitor”
Review of Luana Hills Golf Course - CLOSED

More attraction details
Owner description: A beautiful course designed around Mt Olomana.
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This golf course has changed ownership and is now called ROYAL HAWAIIN.
What a wonderful golf course - do not forget to take a camera. Some of the scenery is amazing. The views of the countryside, and the golf holes will blow you away. We played here the day after playing Ko'olua Golf Course - they are a little different - the grass on the greens and the fairways at Royal Hawaiin are more what I was used to in Australia. This course if very difficult - you will loose golf balls, but on the positive side of things, you won't waste any time looking for them - if your ball isn't between the trees, it's gone, into the jungle. Never to be seen again. Do not miss playing this golf course - sensational!
I bought a GolfHawaiiCard and it cost me $75 to play, which included range balls and 20% off apprarel in the pro shop - good value.

Reviewed 24 June 2011

This golf course is unique. the views almost made me forget that I came here to play golf. Every hole seems different. The course is nestled into the hillside. Giant trees, flowers, ravines, streams all are part of the experience. The only bummer is that they do not let you walk the course. I guess the distances between holes are just too long for everybody to walk.

1  Thank gohiking
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Played Luana Hills last week (3/11). This is definitely a unique golf course. The setting cannot really be described in words. Think Jurassic Park. I really am amazed they were able to carve a golf course out of this jungle setting. My wife absolutely loved it.

The downside for us is that we went on a rainy day, and it came down pretty hard at times, which also took away somewhat from the amazing views. Also, the management decided that was a good day to have every maintenance employee working away on every hole while we were trying to play.

In terms of the course itself, it's unique. Not just the setting, but the course itself. It's not really laid out like a traditional course, probably because of the terrain. It may be that "players" won't like the course, because it's not something they're use to. A lot of people talk about how hard it is. I think it's not hard if you're not aggressive. What makes it "hard" and non-traditional is that you cannot be aggressive. This isn't a course where you are rewarded for a good, aggressive shot, particularly off the tee. You have no choice but not to be aggressive. I don't think I used driver off the tee more than once or twice, and on a lot of par 4s and 5s, I used 5 or 6 iron off the tee.

I would definitely recommend this course, just for the experience of the setting. But if you're the type who isn't happy unless he's able to unleash the driver off the tee every hole, you might not like the golf. If you're patient and don't mind placing your shots, you should be happy here. I think it's a good choice for female players, too.

1  Thank dandg34
Reviewed 20 October 2008

Without a Doubt The "PRETTIEST COURSE ON THE PLANET". I virtually had the course to myself, And took 43 photo's of "Eden". I was so relaxed, I shot the best round of my life!! I would recommend "LUANNA HILLS" to anyone who wants a relaxing round of golf , with unlimited photo opp's. However the course is definately challenging, bring lots of balls.

1  Thank dlcourse
Reviewed 13 May 2006

Two different 9 nines, one course. Lots of gimmicks and challenges on the back with a "typical" Dye Design front nine...definitely play this once but other courses on O'ahu will give you a better golf experience