“would not return”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Athol
Log Spirit Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Athol B&B and Inns
renton
“would not return”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I totally agree with the previous post from denver I was going to post all the things I did not like about this place but I have decided never to stay there again and not recommend the b and b to my friends. I was told the b and b was for sale .

Room Tip: do not stay in the spring room no hot water
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank robert t

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I was so hoping to love this place. I give it kudos for a beautiful setting. Staying here means that you are exposed to the relationship turmoils of the hosts, Robin and Lew.

Robin is the abrasive, easily irritated host. She is constantly barking at her co-host, Lew. Robin acts as if she is carrying the weight of every action on her shouders. This makes her irritable towards any guest asking a question.

Lew's efforts to help her with answering questions are met with her visable scorn and eye rolling at his stupidity. I felt sorry for the guy after this happened forr the 6th time at breakfast. From loudly correcting him, to put downs, it gave most of us a upset stomach while eating.

One guest mentioned she did not usually eat overally sweet things at breakfast. Robin took this as an insult and became irritable towards this guest, telling them " You should have mentioned any food concerns" The guest tried to explain that they were only voicing their experience. It as if any comment that was not positive, was unacceptable. Not accomodating at all.

. I saw some guests ask Robin a question, which clearly furstrated her. She barked at them to wiat a while as she had no time. When Lew tried to assist the guest, Robin tole him that he did not know what he was talking about. This is embarrassing for the guests, to have Robin publicly humilate Lew. His face got red and he flushed. Not the atmosphere for a relaxing breakfast. Lew has some hearing loss, which makes this situation all the more unfortunate to witness.

I also did not feel that the breakfast routine was relaxed. It is right at eiight. We were on time, but others who were late were shown displeasure. You felt forced to eat everything or face questioning on why you didi not eat something. A few younger guests did not eat some fruit and were disapprovingly questioned on why they did not eat all their dish. One young boy asked for something additional. He pointed to some food in the kitchen area. He was told this food was for later and therer was noting additional for him to eat.

Good grief, let people enjpy their food. Stop the arguing with your partner. Stop the deep sighiing, as if the guest's very presence brings on overwhelming stress.Stop the slamming of pots and pans. I paid good money for this????

Stop all the silly little signs all over the place "Don't use the guest bathroom" " Don't toucj this" "Do not steal the soap basket" It made us feel asi if we were staying with our overlly critical , stuffy relatives that were obligated, but not happy, to have us stay with them. this is the kind of place where your behavior is regulated by the hosts. Lots of rules to follow.

Honestly, I could hardly wait to get away from this dynamic. I suggest the hosts hire more help, get some counseling and examine if they are realistically able to handle the responsiblities of a bed and breakfast.

\

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank meriem a
Snohomish, Washington
Reviewed 11 November 2010

My wife and I brought our 3 teenage nephews with us to Idaho to go to Silverwood Amusement Park. We decided to stay at Log Spirit after doing some research on the internet. The internet did not do it justice. We were NOT disappointed one bit. Robin and Lew were amazing hosts and the grounds were to die for. The gardens, the waterfalls, and especially the rooms. We were a little worried about staying at a B & B with having 3 teenagers and no TV, but Robin and Lew were very helpful with this. We played games, sang with Lew, threw a football in the front yard, and spent great quality time with our family walking around the beautiful grounds. But I would not do any reviewers reading this any good if I didn't mention the amazing food that we ate while there. Again, having 3 teenagers, our concerns quickly went away when Robin assured us that she would help us in any way that we needed. Our time at Log Spirit was amazing and we can't we to go back next summer. We are looking forward to making this a yearly visit to Log Spirit.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank uncledwa
idaho
Reviewed 5 March 2010

the setting was peaceful, beds comfortable. food to die for

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank want2danse
Calgary Alberta
Reviewed 29 August 2009

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Log Spirit Bed and Breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Robin and Lew were very welcoming and attended to all our needs and interests. The beds were comfortable, breakfasts tasty and the company interesting. The grounds are well cared for and the B&B provided a quiet break for our holiday.
The area has lots to offer - many lakes, beautiful views, wineries, interesting shops, good restaurants.
We are looking forward to returning to this area of Idaho and to the Log Spirit B&B.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JanicePM
Arlington, Wa
Reviewed 8 October 2008

While the place was beautiful, our 3 night stay (which we ended up leaving on the last night) turned into somewhat of a nightmare for us even after we got home. I am only addressing what I feel are the main issues here....

When we got there we were greeted by Lew who had been drinking a beer. While I have no problem with having a beer he ALWAYS had one with him except for in the morning at breakfast. In any case, we arrived only to find we did not get the room I had specially reserved for my family. I told Lew this and he said it was the room I reserved and then changed his mind and said he would give us the room we requested. However I knew I hadn't requested the room he mentioned either. Unfortunately I had left the conformation at home and it wasn't until then that I could prove it.

The first mornings breakfast was good and conversation flowed among the guests, but Lew kept making comments about the kids not eating what was prepared. He was very sarcastic and I felt totally inappropriate for a host who is getting paid whether or not everyone eats everything on their plates. There were a total of 4 children under the age of 10 and 2-3 over that. I knew the other parents were not happy with the remarks he was making and one couple mentioned so when we ran into them at Silverwood. If you are going to allow children at a B & B, then serve something that they would eat too, not something fancy for adults.

The next morning Lew offended my husband when we came out for breakfast to where my husband refused to stay out there and eat. Robin had heard what Lew said and came up to me and asked if Lew had offended him and tried to justify it. We decided to leave that night after the theme park closed and not to deal with any more from Lew the next morning at breakfast.

When we got home I discovered my husband had packed the lodges striped towels and not ours that I had brought with us. An honest mistake, I emailed Robin right away and let her know we had them and I would get them back ASAP. She was relieved as she said they were frantically looking for them and didn't have a clue where they would have gone.

Little did we know I would have kidney stones by that evening that took 5 weeks to pass. During this very painful time, I received several impatient emails from Robin requesting the towels and "was I going to keep them and make them buy a new set or what" and though she did end up sending me a prepaid box to send them back to her, I couldn't drive because of the pain shows I was getting while waiting for the stones to pass.

In a few weeks time I received letter from Robin letting me know my credit card had been charged for the towels. I emailed Robin and let her know that what she did was not legal and also how we felt about our visit there. I let her know I not been honest enough to email her in the first place and tell her we had the towels, she wouldn't have been the wiser. In the end after our money was refunded for the towels, but we were not apologized to for Lews behavior, the wrong room or offered our money back for leaving one night early or any compensation for not having the right room to begin with. ALso, when you are told that they provide futons for the kids, they are not futons, they are more like mats you would have your daycare kids sleep on at naptime, though a bit thicker. They lay on the floor, not on a frame like a futon or at least any futon I have seen.

Stayed August 2007
6 Thank Leesie2008
Seattle
Reviewed 14 June 2006

Drove 5 1/2 hours to arrive with a friendly welcome and tour of the facility. Reserved the Midnight room with the private jacuzzi outdoors which was the best part of the stay! The breakfast one morning was eggs benedict with a peach rhubarb crisp for appetizer fresh pressed apple cider and another fruit juice, coffee, or tea. The second morning was strawberry shortcake, fried battered apples-apple fritters, cranberry and chocolate chip scones, and ham with juice, coffee, or tea.

Unfortunately Robin and Lew scheduled the local open house for the same weekend as well as an afternoon tea the next day, so they seemed rather harried and overbooked. Robin also operates her own salon down the street as a second full-time job in addition to being a full-time BNB hostess. While the facility and grounds are peaceful and relaxing with no TVs or phones in rooms, this weekend felt like the center of a three ring circus with the guests being one show, the open house another, and the tea time a third show all running simultaneously. Even other guests pitched in to help prepare for the open house and tea time. As guests of the facility, we felt time would've been better managed if they closed the accommodations to focus on the local events or rescheduled the open house and tea time during a more vacant weekend as only one of the five rooms was unoccupied during our stay... a pretty full house!

Robin says she's the tornado, while Lew is the Breeze. While the metaphor suits the owners, not sure the message to the guests is appropriate for a relaxing peaceful getaway. We felt rather swept up in the hassles and a little in the way as well.

We approached Robin for a coupon/voucher for drinks to a local Rib Ranch where her brother is a chef, on another guest's recommendations. In the midst of her chaos planning and baking for other events we felt ignored and left without the coupon, but rather an invitation to come back for 4 course turkey dinner at $20 per person that night. Rather than return to chaos, we chose the Rib Ranch and were pleasantly surprised.

Upon our return for the night, we asked for directions to another local destination to which the owners defered to another guest again, perhaps another unwelcome interruption.

The facility is a simple, rustic log cabin surrounded by a covered porch, irises, a herbal garden, and a cascading water fountain out front. The rooms are pleasant, the bathrooms basic with a toilet squeezed uniquely sideways between a chest of drawers, sink, tub/shower, and teriffic views of the constellations from the private outdoor jacuzzi which needed some maintenance as the bubbles weren't working. The library stashed with books, videos, and games, and a piano and karaoke machine offered some entertainment.

Though I'm sure none of the problems were intentional, the owner's preoccupation to an additional agenda during our stay contributed to a less than ultimate experience. Not quite the peaceful relaxing getaway we expected.

11 Thank BahaneAnda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athol
Stoneridge Resort
Days Inn Coeur d'Alene
#7 of 22 in Coeur d'Alene
Hampton Inn & Suites Coeur d'Alene
La Quinta Inn & Suites Coeur d' Alene

Been to Log Spirit Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!