“Historical, great views, wonderful food!”

Port Edward Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 116 Restaurants in Algonquin
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: View, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This has been one of our family's favorites for 45 years. The rich history of the decor, the themed rooms, gift shop, wine cellar, and great music make it a new experience every time. I have never been a fan of the corporate places, and the unique flare here keeps us coming back. The servers are knowledgeable and fun! They have changed their menus & I have to say, you can't beat the prices. The portions are always very fair, and now you can choose large or small on some items! Always fresh & tasty! Look forward to another visit soon!

1  Thank 94Teresa

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Thye Fish is excellent!!! I go to Florida at least a month a year and this place has as good or better fish. The whole place is very nice.

2  Thank ToddBSportAngler
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Every time we've gone to the red room to listen to the musicians, there are only dirty tables available and we have to go hunt someone down to clean one. Wait staff and busboys are usually standing around talking.
There is one bartender (I won't name names) who is obnoxious with loudly "singing" and slapping a menu on the bar to the beat of the music. Completely annoying!!!!

Reviewed 10 February 2013

The dinner was well-prepared, but the smell is overwhelming when you enter the restaurant. Is it from the koi in the pond near the entrance? Whatever, it is a big turn-off.

Reviewed 19 January 2013 via mobile

I've lived in this area for years and have never gotten the chance to try this place. While a Friday lunch in January might not be the ideal time, i was happy to finally check it out. First to those who say it is too pricey, let me remind you that you are going to a place known for FRESH seafood in ILLINOIS!!! It's not like they're taking the boat out and serving the catch of the day!! I'd be leery if the prices were lower. I had the lobster bisque and the seafood salad, both were very tasty and not badly priced either. The bread could have been better, not really sure what kind it was and it would have been better if they put it on the table as soon as you sat down. The place wasn't very busy at lunch, could have been because they're not open every day for lunch during the winter. Maybe if they had better lunch specials they could stay open all week.

My companions had the salmon and mahi mahi and enjoyed every bit. We shared the chocolate lava cake and it was delicious. Unfortunately, since it was lunch we did not partake in the $5 Long Island Ice Teas. Maybe when i go back for dinner in the spring :)

The menu is really too large but definitely had something for everyone. While the decor might be quaint, it could stand to be updated. I didn't see an outdoor eating area, but hope they have one for warmer months. The service was a little slow and the nautical uniforms were a bit much.

I'll give it another try for dinner when it warms up a bit.