“What a great place!”
Review of The Goddard Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anna
The Goddard Place
Ranked #2 of 3 Anna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We were passing through and found this place! What a lucky find, and a gem. My wife and I had been on the road for 4 days, and as the weather was to get worse decided to 'hole up' at Goddard Place. The wind blew, the snow came, and we were cozy and relaxed. Mary, owner, was like our long last pal. Friendly, kind, accommodating, and always came through with what she said. She steered us to the Blue Boar for dinner! Excellent! I would be happy to stay again..even had a nice little kitchen.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Paul N
There are newer reviews for The Goddard Place

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Honestly ... I have so many great things to say about the Goddard Place, that I don't know where to begin! We were met and escorted to the cabin by hostess Mary McDonald! She is a wonderful hostess and treated us like family. I found the Goddard Place while looking for a weekend getaway place for me and my husband. Perfect! It's not far from the Interstate, but like another reviewer said, you'd never know it! You feel like you are a thousand miles away ... which is exactly what we needed!

Mary didn't forget a single detail -- from toiletries (in case you forget - which I did) to the delicious locally baked Mennonite breads to spot-on tips for where to eat and visit! Mary has maps, menus, and travel booklets to help plan your visit. There is also plenty of information about the nearby Shawnee Hills Wine Trail. Speaking of details, there was coffee and fresh orange juice in the fridge! There is also a microwave, perfect for popping popcorn to enjoy in front of the fireplace.

The shower was wonderful (which is a must on my list) and there were lots of fluffy towels! There is also a whirlpool tub (big enough for two!).

Cozy and immaculately clean, the cabin was so comfortable and homey. We didn't want to leave, even though there is a lot to do in the area! When we did chill, we enjoyed Mary's collection of books to browse.

Now, for the outside. The natural surroundings are so calming. Nestled underneath tall pines, the deck is a great place to relax. From the deck, there is a nice view of the pond. We took advantage of the Adirondack chairs and even sat on the dock for awhile.

Mary is the niece of Jim and Edna who were former hosts of the Goddard Place. She is a very gracious hostess and we can't wait to visit again in two weeks!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mona W
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My husband and I state here for our 15th wedding anniversary. It was our first time to visit southern Illinois and we were so impressed! The cabin was so cozy and immaculately clean. The hosts went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. Our only complaint was that we couldn't stay longer! We have already recommended The Goddard Place to our family and friends and can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Kaylee1006
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We were in Anna for a wedding and wanted to do some wine tasting the next day, so this worked out perfectly. It only took about 10 minutes to get there from town. It's near several of the wineries on the Shawnee wine trail. We sat on the dock by the pond and watched the stars. It's only a few miles off of the interstate, but you don't hear or see it. The cabin we stayed in was clean, comfortable, and nice and cozy. Our hosts were very friendly and helpful. There were rooms in the house as well that we didn't see. If you want a little more privacy, though, this cabin is great.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pearce24601
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Jim and Edna have a great place to stay. We stay there when we are in the area for hunting from Louisiana and my wife just loves it, especially the jacuzzi tub. Jim and Edna go out of their way to make you feel part of their family. Would recommend anyone to stay here instead of staying at the local motels. One stay and you will see what I mean. Billy

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wllmhance
Reviewed 21 June 2010

My boyfriend and I were in town to visit family for a christening. Instead of staying at the overly packed house with the family, we found this hidden gem. Located on the Trail of Tears, The Goddard Place was the perfect get away. I could rest well surrounded by trees, hills, and a private pond. I strongly recommend to have breakfast with owners, Edna and Jim. Not only were they a joy to greet in the mornings, but Edna's cooking leads to a better day!

This cabin is for the couples, or small families, that can appreciate the thoughtfulness and simplicity of quality spent time. (It's also not far from great restaurants and many wineries).

We are already trying to find another reason to be back soon!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2007

We visited this B&B last Oc tober while hiking and canoeing southern Illinois. We are not the usual B&B people and prefer cabins and camping. We rented the cabin that they offered and loved it. We actually saw a bald eagle sitting in a tree over the pond and there were more blue birds than I had ever witnessed before. The whirlpool tub and gas fireplace were wonderful after a hard day exploring the area. The hosts were great! Will return next year!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Ryansmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anna
Hampton Inn Carbondale
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marion
Hampton Inn Marion
Hampton Inn Marion
#7 of 15 in Marion

Been to The Goddard Place? Share your experiences!