“Friendly Front Desk Staff !!”

Super 8 Aurora/Naperville Area
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Aurora
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Typically I don't stay at Super 8 hotels, however every other place else was booked. The pretty blonde lady, I think her name is Catherine was so helpful. Without my asking she printed out directions for a restaurant I mentioned I was interested in trying out while in the area. I was shocked at how quickly and efficiently she was able to check in 5 different groups of people ahead of me. The breakfast was blah, and not completely filled. I wanted my receipt upon check out however the front desk clerk in the morning was no where to be found. After waiting five minutes I just left without one. The drapes in the rooms were outdated and the room in entirety seemed dark and dirty. The only reason I will ever come back to this hotel while I'm in the area is for that nice front desk lady Catherine. Her enthusiasm and eagerness to help is refreshing, and she made me feel special!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kate L

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Had clean room, big TV, indoor pool, close parking, nice included breakfast, helpful staff. My sore back loved warm pool water. Hotel is right around the corner from the amazing "Chalkboard" store, Variety of food/pizza places nearby for dinner or delivery.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stay away - stay very far away. If there were a way to rate zero stars I would do so. We ended up at this hell on earth only because it was one of the last places that had rooms available. Now we know why. Our horrible experience started at check-in - the solitary person on duty at the front desk was in clear sight back in the office, chatting away on what was obviously a personal phone call. She occasionally glanced up and looked directly at us (and the other woman waiting at the desk), so she knew we were there. It was only after I loudly asked her if she could please check us in that she (grudgingly, based on her facial expression) was able to tear herself away from her personal business to help us.

As she was working on our check-in, the other lady who had been waiting asked if there was something that could be done about the heat on the third floor - apparently the air conditioning on that floor was not working well. After hearing that I asked if we could have rooms other than the third floor, and her snappy and sarcastic reply was, "you'll get what the system gave you, I'm not making any changes." We should have left at that point, even if it meant sleeping in the car.

The computer gods smiled on us, and gave us a room on the second floor, which wasn't quite as hot as the third floor, but overheating nonetheless. Fortunately, the extremely noisy air conditioner was able to cool the room down to a comfortable level. However, as soon as the noisy a/c quit running, we missed the noise, because now (even though it was approaching 11 PM), the hallway was full of loud, obnoxious running kids, with nary a parent in sight. Great. Back to cranking down the a/c as low as it would go to provide some white noise background.

Next up was the strong odor of cigarette smoke in our non-smoking room. I soon figured out that it was drifting in through the ceiling fan in the bathroom, as well as around the securely locked door to the adjacent room. It was strong enough that after spending a few minutes in the bathroom, I felt like I needed a shower and all my clothes needed a wash. Disgusting.

We woke up the next morning to more loud kids screaming, yelling and running up and down the hallway. The mom standing in the hallway made it clear to us she wasn’t interested in whether her obnoxious brats were disturbing other guest. The seed doesn’t fall far from the tree, apparently.

Next we tried breakfast. The food was what I’d expect and nice variety, including some hard boiled eggs, which was nice. The turn off here was the really, really sticky floor. Ick.

Another minor complaint - when we returned at the end of the day our keys didn’t work. Another hike to the front desk to interrupt the clerk’s personal phone calls to get the card reprogrammed.

Next up was ridiculously loud neighbors in the next room - fortunately it was kids and a dad playing at all G rated. However, the lesson is that the walls in this place are paper thin. If you don’t want your neighbor in the next room hearing your conversation - don’t talk.

All this for the " bargain" price of only $97 per night.

The guy working the counter when we checked out asked how everything was - I told him about the smoke, the noise and the thin walls. Without even bothering to look up he said, "Sorry about that. Here's your bill - is there anything else I can help you with?”

We won’t be staying there again.

Room Tip: Get a room in a different hotel.