“Pot Pie Heaven”

Description: (630) 898-3448
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Pot Pie Heaven”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Fantastic place to eat. The dough is flaky and crisp on the outside and moist on the inside. The filling was full of meat and vegetables. I love to eat as my ample gut will attest to and it wants to go back, a lot.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank KeithShaftoe

Montgomery, Illinois
“Great Meat Pies and Beef Pasties!”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Not your run-of-the-mill pot pie, for sure. I don't know exactly how my wife stumbled across this place, but I'm glad she did. We have tried all of the pies except the chicken and mushroom and all were excellent. A light, croissant-like crust hides a succulent and filling center of gravy-laden meat or vegetables. Depending on your taste, there is something for everyone.

The pies seem small at first, but they are definitely filling. If you like curry, the spicy versions all contain it. If not and you are looking for something more "American," try the cheeseburger pie. If you want a no-meat dish, the vegetable versions are excellent. Fans of lamb will find the spicy lamb to be an excellent choice, but it is a special that is not on the menu so you will have to ask if they have it. It is also a little more expensive than the other pies.

The beef pasties seem to be of the same crust as the pies but are rolled into long closed-end rolls. They look like they are a little bigger than the pies so they might be a better deal. If you are looking for a filling, easy to eat on the run lunch for $3.99, this is your best option.

The people are very friendly. If you want the history behind the South African meat pie or why they opened the place, they will tell you all about it.

Let's get something straight, though. This is not a restaurant. It is a storefront that sells take-out. To be sure that you get what you want, make sure to call 30 minutes ahead because they only have a small display cabinet to select from.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Matthew L
Aurora, Illinois
“Certainly lives up to hype from newspaper reviews”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I've had this place on my "list" to try .. unfortunately it is not located in area we frequent all that often. We were in the area today, and tried it . . . much to our delight! My husband tried the spicy steak pie and I tried the pasty . . both outstanding. I found the spicy steak . . spicy, not not overly so. We are looking forward to trying the different pies in the near future.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank ljtheodore1122
Peoria, Illinois
“At last, a Real Southern African pie shop!”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Tripadvisor has the wrong data for this shop, which is a South African pie shop run by the Naidoos from Durban. Splendid South African style meat pies and vegetarian pies. We sampled most and were so happy that we bought a couple dozen frozen to bring home!

There are a couple of small tables, but really the shop is for take-out.

These are savory pies; strangely unfamiliar to most Americans. My wife loved the cheeseburger pie, whereas I liked the curried pies and especially the sausage rolls, made with a beef sausage concocted by the Naidoos. Not exactly the same as the southern African version I grew up with (of course) but very fine nonetheless. The beef pasties and chicken and mushroom pies are good choices if you are not into curry, but the spicy pies do not overwhelm.

I hope tripadvisor changes the data on this great shop.

I heartily recommend! They are in process of organizing shipping for those expats needing a pie fix.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Danioro
Iowa City, Iowa
“Very Good Lamb Kabobs!”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We love the lamb kabobs here! The koftas are good also! Its a great place to walk into because the smells take a person from hungry to ravenous! We usually do take out here when we are too tired to cook...There is a small area to dine in if you want too.

• Visited December 2011

Been to The Pie Boss? Share your experiences!