“Lower end of the scale!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 Chicago Southwest - Aurora

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Motel 6 Chicago Southwest - Aurora
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Aurora
Peoria, Illinois
“Lower end of the scale!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

I agree with a reviewer who said this is an inexpensive hotel and thus your expectations needs to be considered accordingly.

Having said that, I had made a reservation for a King room, which later on found out no such thing existed in this hotel, and got a handicapped room (we are not handicapped!) with a bed 5 feet wide, so narrow that was no way my wife and I could fit comfortably. Luckily since our son lives in nearby Batavia, I dropped her off at his house and stayed in the hotel by myself. For the next night they got us another room with 2 beds, thus we managed to stay there the second night.

Although this is an economy hotel with the linoleum floor and no carpeting, there is no reason the the wash sink and bath tub would not drain, and you finish your shower in 6 inches of standing water. It tells me they probably do not clean it properly, otherwise they could have noticed the clogged drain.

The Internet code that was given did not work either, even after calling the front desk and getting another code. So after a while I gave up the hopes of internet and turned the light off and went to sleep. I heard other guests had also problem with their WIFi, so I was not the only one.

I may add the room's HVAC unit was very efficient and quiet, one of the best I have seen in non-central unit. I will think twice to stay in this hotel again, unless it is an emergency and no other place could be found nearby.

I guess it goes with the saying "You get what you pay for".

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hecules-63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Duluth, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

My wife and I, along with our two cats, stayed at the Motel 6 in Aurora, Illinois recently while returning from a trip to Georgia. We stayed in several Motel 6 properties on this trip as they have recently advertised their pet-friendly policies.

Nothing about the motel stands out as being above average or exceptional except that, as one would expect from this chain, that the rate will be among the most competitive out there. Check-in, room features, and condition were all adequate but nothing more. Sleep quality was a bit better than I typically find in a less expensive motel. The HVAC unit tended to run on the warm side even though I had the temperature turned down as far as it could go on the "heat" setting and ambient temperature outside was in the mid-20s. I ended up waking up during the night fairly warm and ended up turning it off. The internet access was an additional fee and was somewhat quirky; it would only allow one of my or my wife's computers to be logged in at a time. The neighboring Fox Valley Motel, incidentally, advertised free wi-fi...this would probably be the weak point of our stay as we ended up paying the extra fee for what we felt was incomplete service (and not the greatest speed). One pleasant surprise, though, was that the room was very quiet given its proximity to I-88 and that Farnsworth Ave. carried a pretty heavy traffic volume at all hours day and night.

One other note, though it is outside the motel's control: For a Chicago suburb of nearly 200,000 population there aren't many restaurant options close to the motel. There is a sit-down-style restaurant next door and a Quizno's across Farnsworth Avenue, but for a considerable distance in either direction on Farnsworth Avenue (which becomes Kirk Road to the north) there is a noticeable lack of restaurants, even fast food. A McDonald's and a Sonic (not my first choice on a cold March evening) are probably a mile or so to the north, but after those there did not appear to be much all the way to Illinois 64 which is several miles north of the motel. I-88 is a toll road, so using it to get to Naperville to the east (which has more options) or Sugar Grove to the west will cost you a little bit if you don't use side streets. Also, the room did not have a microwave or refrigerator...so you might want to plan for supper before checking in or have some snacks with that don't need to be warmed or kept cool.

I'd still consider the Motel 6 in Aurora as it met our needs for a reasonable price. However, don't expect anything more than the basics.

Room Tip: The motel has three floors, with doors opening to the outside. I did not see an elevator. You may...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jahoduluth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

This place is actually nice for a budget motel. The beds are comfortable and police patrol the area frequently. The water pressure is horrible and the wood-like floors stay so dirty because of the lack of door mats. The walls are very thin so you hear all outside noise but as far as hearing the room next to you the sound is very minimal. 39.99 a night you really cant get much better.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the third floor to not catch so much parking lot door slams and all that jazz
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel when visiting Aurora to go to the outlet mall and to go to a concert in Geneva, IL. While the location was very convenient to the mall (right across the street) and only minutes away from Geneva, IL we were very disappointed with the hotel itself. Online when we booked the hotel the Motel 6 website was very deceiving because it said it was a newly updated hotel with a refrigerator and microwave however when we got into our room we found that wasn't true. There was no refrigerator or microwave and the room was not updated other than to have cheap laminate floors and an updated vanity. The first room we were assigned had a big stain on the bedspread, there was urine in the toilet and overall it was very dirty and the air conditioner didn't work so we asked for another room and had no problem in that area. When we got in our new room, the air conditioner worked luckily but the room overall was just clean. There was hair all over the floor which was extremely noticeable due to the light colored laminate (fake wood) floors so I made sure to not walk bare footed in the room. There were only two tiny pillows on the bed and overall I was super disappointed in this room. I haven't stayed in a Motel 6 in years for this very reason but thought that because of the price of the room and the way the website portrayed the room to be all beautifully updated we gave it a try. Never again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lovetotravel7066
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

I should begin by saying that my husband and I are Canadian, and stayed in this Motel 6 after having had an excellent experience with the new Motel 6 in Kingston, Ontario.
This was a much different experience. The Motel 6s in Canada have just been built, whereas those advertised as having "all new rooms" with the "Phoenix look" stateside have simply been retrofitted with the "new look".
The room had the vinyl flooring, new bedspreads, orange paint, and new sink/counter, but some older furnishings were still in the room (outdated, not "retro mod" - believe me, I can tell the difference). There was a small tube television (not the built-in flatscreens of the Canadian Motel 6s), and the tub and toilet were definitely not new. The toilet did not have a lid, and the public-bathroom-style seat had what looked like a few cigarette burns in it. The water pressure also seemed quite low (toilet was reluctant to flush), which did not inspire much confidence.
That being said, the room was clean, sheets were fresh, and the front desk staff at both check-in and check-out were friendly and competent! I suppose our expectations were a bit high, seeing as we'd just stayed at a brand-new property just two nights before.
It is, as other reviewers have said, across from on of the entrances to the Chicago Outlets (we didn't shop there, though - just passing through). A perfectly decent place to stay the night, but it did cause me to change our travel arrangements two nights later - I cancelled with another Motel 6, and booked a different property.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aimee M
Winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

You get what you pay for. We were just looking for a place to sleep for the night, and this did the trick. Our room did not look like the picture (except the flooring), but still no complaints. Very clean, with updated bathroom (but not like the picture shown). We found the bed comfortable. The room quiet and clean. I can see how some rooms may be louder if/when trucks start in the AM. Outlet mall is across the street.
TV is small and basic. Wifi is posted as extra, however the guy at the desk just gave us the code when we asked.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

What can I say about this motel drive on by if you want to get a good nights sleep.My room was in the rear location where they have parking for all the semi trucks many of these must have refrigerator units & are running all night long Nice,so who can sleep!!.The rooms are clean I'll give them that credit.However the rooms supply no shampoo or tissues surprised they furnish toliet paper.TV old reception comes & goes.This is the first motel ever that I've had to pay for Wi F.$3.00 per night & you constantly loose signal.Can't believe this motel what a rip off. Tom Bodett don't leave the light on for me.

Room Tip: Don't get a room in back terrible
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago / Aurora
Baymont Inn & Suites Chicago/Aurora
Holiday Inn Aurora North- Naperville
Candlewood Suites Aurora - Naperville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Aurora - Naperville
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 8 in Aurora

Been to Motel 6 Chicago Southwest - Aurora? Share your experiences!