“Nice Motel 6, clean, grassy areas for pets”

Motel 6 Des Moines East
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Really nicely updated Motel6. Room was very clean, clearly updated with the bamboo floors. Right near Adventureland if that's where you're headed. Restaurants nearby. Staff very accommodating, allowing me a late checkout. Smoking only permitted in Building B. One disadvantage is it is near the highway so there is some highway noise. The Flying J next door has excellent pizza!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 January 2013

I stopped here Oct. 2012 as I was driving down to Missouri. I was looking for an inexpensive, but comfy place to rest my head for a few hours before I hit the road again. This was my first stay at a Motel 6, and I was not impressed. The room was uninviting, and felt like I was sleeping in an empty dorm room. The bed was really uncomfortable, and there wasn't an alarm clock. When I went to take a shower in the morning before getting back on the road, I found that there was no shampoo or conditioner anywhere to be found! I do have to say that the price was nice, as all other hotels I had checked were well over $100/night.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank jbee1111
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Let me start by saying that this is a Motel 6...so you shouldn't expect the amenities of the Hilton (or the price). That being said, this is the nicest Motel 6 I've ever stayed in, likely because of the clearly recent room upgrades/remodeling. Everything in the room appears newish and it is coordinated to give off a modern vibe (see photo). As said, not many amenities - no fridge, microwave, and like other Motel 6's I've stayed at, no clock in the room which I don't understand. Also the bathroom is tiny. Even so, the room was nice, bright, a great value, great location right next to a 24 hour diner and right off the 80, and they allow pets with no pet fee (most hotels charge a $15-20 nonrefundable fee). The motel did not smell like smoke or pets. Also there are new plasma TVs in the rooms. I went in Winter so did not use the pool. No breakfast but again this is a Motel 6 so I didn't expect one.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Tet1023
Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

I found the corporate owned Motel 6 a nice value and is newly renovated. Great on the run location, but not a long term stay establishment. My stay was the Sunday night of Labor Day weekend. The pool is clean and very nice, although I did not enter the "bathing" pool...

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Cwdonahoe76
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stopped at 11pm at this Motel 6 without any expectations, and we paid their regular rates. When we walked into the room, we saw clean remodeled rooms, which made the night/ stay great.
The only issue is that in some parts of the motel there is cigarette smell, but not in the room.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Cold tile floors in rooms. No lobby bathroom for kids. Small lightweight towels, no towels in pool area, no free breakfast, lots of rednecks as clients. Oh Boy! Breakfast next door way below average waitress no teeth. Yummy

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Upon arrival we had a very friendly desk clerk. She was very fast and efficient. We were on the second floor which is ok for me, but they do not have an elevator. When we got in our room they had painted put in new fixtures, sink and towel holders. The mattresses seemed to be changed from the last time we were there also. This hotel does not have carpeting in the rooms which will help cut down on transferring bed bugs, fleas and ticks since they allow pets. They also had new televisions in the room also. The pool area was clean and the water was warm. I would suggest that this hotel provide towels in the pool area since you have a limited amount in your room and if you ask for more be prepared to turn your used ones in before getting more. Other than that it was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends