“Gone downhill”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Altoona
Seward, Nebraska
“Gone downhill”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I first stayed at this property six years ago and had a really good experience, so I decided to stay here again when I needed a stop for the night. Unfortunately, as soon as I closed the door to my room a roach scurried across the back of the door and back out again through the crack. I was not happy, but decided to try and make it a go anyway and did not see any other bugs when I looked. I also noticed the room was very damp, but the a/c unit would not let me go below 66 degrees and it just wasn't cooling things off enough.

I went out for awhile, came back, and the roach scurried across the door again. I killed it this time before it got away, and was just going to "deal with it", but I then noticed another one crawling up by the window. I couldn't stomach the thought of trying to sleep so I called the front desk and asked for a room switch. She was appropriately horrified and quickly transferred me to a different room.

I did a look around the new room and did not see any bugs, though I didn't look too hard, not wanting to find any. The room was less damp than the other one, but the a/c still would not go down below 66 degrees. I slept ok for the most part. In the morning I tried to take a shower but the water would not turn on no matter how much I worked with it.

I took myself down to check out and the manager there was horrified about my experience. She was very nice. She said you had to pull REALLY hard for the water, and I guess she was able to get it turned on. I guess I was not wanting to break anything. Next time maybe I should not worry about breaking anything.

I have no complaints about the people working there, but the place was not the same that I remembered, and the roaches really did it in for me. I was also told that rooms on the one end (where my first room was) have issues with being damp and will sometimes even have condensation on the floors. I don't expect fanciness with a Motel 6, but I did expect it to be clean, and fairly easily running water to be available. Unfortunately, I won't be staying here again. :(

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

The room was spacious with nice wood floors. Thing is the chairs were also solid wood and small. They were very uncomfortable. The beds were nice and soft though. Would have liked a comforter instead of what felt like a curtain to cover up with. The bedding was clean though, so I can't complain.

The room had a funny odor, not sure if they had been painting or something. The smell was weird , opened the window and bought some freshener. That helped.

Nice 32 inch flat screen, we watched a movie...just wish we had better chairs to sit on. The channel line up sucks.

The bathroom was small, but had a separate sink area that was nice.

There is a Walmart just over a mile away and a few restaurants very close by. Plus Adventureland for the kids right across the street.

It is pet friendly, a big plus. They stay free.

Nice indoor pool area.

Ask for a room facing the courtyard. We had a front facing room and it was really noisy with the truck stop next door and the busy intersection.

All in all it was ok. Price $70 for 2 in summer. WiFi is $3 extra and sure isn't the fastest.

I just hated the smell and the uncomfortable chairs.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank LiveForTravel13
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I was very happy with my stay at this motel 6. It is right across the street from Adventureland so for the price and location was the best in the area. Also having a pool was a plus. It doesn't have an alarm clock in the room but since my phone has one built in that doesn't matter much to me. The rooms were clean and the staff were very friendly. I would recommend this motel if you are in the Altoona area.

• Stayed July 2013
Highland, Kansas
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I have relatives in the area and have stayed at this motel several times. The location is great, but a little tricky getting to (you have to go through the truck stop parking lot to get to the motel's office and parking lot). Except for the no free Wi-Fi, I have found the staff friendly, the place clean and affordable. Oh, I guess I do have one other "complaint". It seems that every time I've stayed there, after the outside doors are locked, someone always props open at least one; doesn't make me feel particularly safe when I happen to have the room at that end of the hall.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Deborah H
McCook, Nebraska
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I am usually not a fan of this chain, but we were traveling and had been on the road (after working a full day) and this property was next to I-80, easy to get to, and didn't look bad. (the only other Motel 6 I would every recommend is by the airport in Lincoln, NE. My husband got the room and it was very reasonably priced, even on Memorial Day Weekend. The hall ways were very well lit, the whole place smelled very clean and the staff was very friendly. When we opened the door to the room, I was blown away. It was beautiful and very big. Hard wood floors and an even a TUB! I highly recommend this hotel to those that "just need a bed" for the night. It was VERY NICE. No breakfast, but good coffee in the lobby, great water pressure in the shower. My only complaints, is that there was not much space by the sink, and we had just a full size bed (after having a King at home---it was small). Will stay again when in the Des Moines area. But would probably get a room with 2 beds for more sleeping space.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

We just spent one night but it was a very pleasant stay..room was very clean and decor looked new...u don't have a refrigerator or hairdryer in room but for the price it was well worth it..will definitely stay again if I'm back that way

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank englandkim63
Milan
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Really nicely updated Motel6. Room was very clean, clearly updated with the bamboo floors. Right near Adventureland if that's where you're headed. Restaurants nearby. Staff very accommodating, allowing me a late checkout. Smoking only permitted in Building B. One disadvantage is it is near the highway so there is some highway noise. The Flying J next door has excellent pizza!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo