“NEVER AGAIN...DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY”

Motel 6 Des Moines East
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Motel 6 is a discount hotel, but this hole is not worth the $86...pay the extra 20 and stay anywhere else. Hardwood floors, no rollaway..not even an extra pillow or blanket in the hotel, lucky if you get warm water, room stank like dirty wet dog or some gawd awful stench. Oh and you get to pay for wifi- by the day! If i could make this no stars i would...one is too generous

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 'Tefta M
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Des Moines East

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Not much to offer however it's a Motel 6, shouldn't expect much. Very limited television, not even working local channels. Cost for WiFi, very uncomfortable beds, cheap laminated flooring - making it very loud. Spend the extra $20 -$30 and go across the street!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was a bare bones motel.
It was clean, no carpet in room, no hair dryer in room thankfully
the front desk had one for my wife to use.
No shampoo, and no water pressure in shower.
No breakfast food in morning just coffee.
The staff was friendly, price was a little high for this type of motel.
But the location next to Adventure land and the casino/horse track
is what drove the price up I am sure.
Would stay again if nothing else was available.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank slmlrd
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We booked this hotel because we wanted an inexpensive room as we were only going to be there to sleep and shower. I didn't expect much to be honest. However, for the price that we paid which was almost $80 a night before taxes and after the AARP discount, I expected a bit more than what we got. This is barebones amenities. They proudly stated that they provide you with soap. No hair dryer, no coffee in the room, no shower supplies, not even Kleenex. They state they have WiFi - but they charge a daily fee. The tub in our room was in rough shape. The towels are small and thin, and there is not anywhere to hang the hand towel. They knocked on our door to clean at 9am on a Saturday, we politely told them we were still getting ready to leave, they did not come back later to clean. When we discussed it with the front desk person the next day, they were rather rude about the situation and reluctantly gave us $20 per night back. I would not stay there again. Very overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LoriC C
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Very clean and quiet. Staff very friendly and helpful. They charge no extra for pets! My dog enjoyed the stay as much as I did. Looking forward to staying there again. Loved the hardwood floor in my room. Will take my family there when passing through. Five stars

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank hardcase357
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Even though the location was excellent (across from Adventureland, next door to Flying J) our stay here was terrible. I called 2 weeks ahead to reserve a room for my wife and I, due to my health I asked about their pool, was told it was open and operational. Called 3 days before we arrived and again asked about the status of their pool, was told it was still open and operational. Upon our arrival we were informed their pool had not been operational for a period of 3 weeks prior to our arrival. The bed was like sleeping a picnic table with a sheet on it, so hard we did not sleep well at all. Upon our leaving we were informed at the front desk that another Motel 6 (across from this one) the pool was open and had better beds. Why were we not informed of this before we checked in? They offered to discount our stay 50% and put it back on my credit card, 2 days later and it still has shown up on it. I will not recommend this particular Motel 6 to anyone. No microwave oven/ coffee maker/ toiletries/ mini-refrigerator in the rooms. Toiletries can be purchased through a vending machine (of all the nerve).

Room Tip: Go anywhere you like-----except here!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mmel2you
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My boyfriend and I are truck drivers we needed an emergency hotel due to a break down. The room ended up costing 70 dollars which was about 60 dollars over priced. The service was horrific flat rude staff that all looked unprofessional. The room had bad peel and stick flooring that felt like you were going to fall through. The bed was a smelly rock with holes in all the sheets. There were only one set of towels and we were too annoyed with the staff to ask for more. The water pressure was horrible and the toilet barely worked. The only positive was the TV (not the channels) and the sink that was outside of the closet sized bathroom. Do not go here even in an emergency it isn't worth a drop of your money!!!

• Stayed: August 2013