“Good enough!”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Altoona
Delmar, Iowa
“Good enough!”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I and 2 small children (ages 1 and 3) stayed on Valentine's weekend in a balcony west room. I had been checking for over a month for a room at both here and the Ramada Tropics but both were booked. I luckily found a room 4 days before..and then another room for some friends the day before due to some cancellations. I booked online with ease (the last time I stayed here I could not get the website to work but I called and they still honored the online price).

Check in was at 4 p.m. however they allowed us to check in around 2:30 despite the hotel being completely sold out. Check in was fine and they made arrangments for us and our friends to have a room directly across from each other. Our room overlooked the West courtyard and our friends overlooked the east courtyard. Our room was a little more outdated than theirs but both were fine. Bed seemed comfortable and clean and the fridge worked fine. The room was very warm (even after turning the thermostat very low) and I think this was due to the heaters that are in the courtyards. My kids liked to be on the balcony and would leave the sliding door open (which was broken and too hard to close anyway). If I were to stay again though I would probably choose a standard room. The pools are open until 1030 pm which is too late for my young family who is in bed by 9. It is very loud even with the doors shut. Another thing is our key did not work in our room two different times which meant we had to haul the kids down to the lobby for new keys. After the 2nd time they sent maintenance up to change the battery in the key reader. And we had no problems after that.

Soon after checking in we ordered some appetizers and pizza from the lounge. Food was great and done within 20 minutes. We were able to eat at some tables right by the pool.

There are 'lifeguards' on duty. The gentelman with the knee brace deserves a shout out as he was very helpful and friendly. He got us towels and was concerned when my son was coughing from swallowing too much water :) There was another gentelman though who we first spoke too upon arriving. We tried to ask him how to order food and it seemed he did not know anything about the place. He even went as far as to say he has never swam or stayed in the room and he has never even been on the rides at the park and that it is "just a job to him" and that they dont let him do those things anyway.

My biggest compaint for the weekend was that the entrance to the zero depth pool was VERY slippery. Both lifeguards were kind enough to come and warn me right away which I do appreciate very much. They said it had been recently painted. I told them they should have a rubber mat there (or at the very least a sign). It was a very big safety problem.

Another note, we ordered some drinks and juice for the kids at the swimup bar. That was fun and the bartendere was a nice guy.

We also ate breakfast at the buffet in the morning and the waitress-cute little lady whose name started with an H (different name) was so sweet. She even gave my son a nickel to throw in the fountain.

checkout was at 11. I wish it was noon so we could have swam longer since it didnt open until 8:30.

Overall, I wish this hotel would update themselves. It is getting a little old and rundown from the carpet to the railings to the unsafe cement. I enjoy the atmosphere and the pools are pretty nice for little kids and it is the only "waterpark" type hotel besides the Ramada in the area and both around the same price. The ramada has great water attractions as well and the rooms are very nice but it is a little smaller if you are sitting around the pool and hanging out with a larger group.

We really enjoy going to the Dells and it takes us a little less time to get there but the cost is quite a bit more. I'm sure we will be back to the Adventureland!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Ashley S
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Ashley,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. We appreciate your detailed account of our staff and of everything we offer. We apologize for the slippery zero depth pool entrance and are working with our Maintenance team to better this issue. We are delighted to hear your overall stay with us was one that would bring you back in the future. We look forward to seeing you and your family again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed for one Saturday night in January with our girls ages six and three. The website says check in is at 4 pm but we showed up at 1 pm and were allowed to quickly check in.The hotel was clean and well cared for and the staff was friendly and attentive. This hotel has two different indoor courtyards and between the two there are three pools and two hot tubs. Our kids enjoyed the east courtyard the most. It has a kids activity pool, a pool with a swim up tiki bar and a large 28 person hot tub. the west court yard has an L shaped pool and a hot tub ( Which was Scalding hot!! I will give two thumbs way up for the guys dressed up like referees! They patrolled the pool areas and did a great job keeping all the kids in line without being over the top. If they saw some one running or being unsafe they blew the whistle and then nicely explained to the offending child what they had done wrong. This place was crowed and the referees were a nice touch!There were a lot of large families gathered there celebrating late Christmases on their balconies over looking the pool which added a really cool vibe there. A lot of the adults ok ALL of the adults were drinking but I never saw anyone drunk or out of control. Everyone was mild mannered and having a great time swimming with their kids. I would recommend this place for families with kids 12 and under. The younger kids will love the pools and swimming in general. Things I would not do again if we went back would be order room service. We ordered a pizza and while it was delivered promptly and the quality was ok we could of ordered a for delivery from an outside pizza restaurant for a lot less money!! All and all the 119 a night was a great value and it was a nice way to spend a very cold weekend! The kids loved it and I am sure before this winter is over we will go back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will hopefully return before the winter is over. We hope that your next stay is even better than the first. Thank you again.
Carlisle, Iowa
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I had my wedding in the two upstairs ballrooms this past weekend, and it started out really rough. First, the events coordinator wasn't on site to make sure everything was going smoothly. The sound wasn't working at first in the ceremony room and we had no idea how to work any of the equipment. Once the reception started, we started dinner, which were heavy appetizers priced for 200-225 people, and we ran out of food halfway through everyone getting a chance to eat. Barely 100 people got to eat. They did accomodate and bring more food, but that's when the rudeness started. I was approached by a female worker telling me they wanted to shut down the reception as a whole because of "outside beverages." Keep in mind that it's about 7-8 and they had run out of beer at the cash bar. They came up at about 9 or 10 and offered to tap a keg that they had sitting behind the bar, but wanted to charge $5 a cup when a bottle of beer that had more in it was only $4. The drink that caused this dilemma was one person, who had paid for a room as well and bought the pop from their machine. I will admit outside alcohol did eventually get brought in, but only because they had none. My step dad got upset that they came to me for the issue and went up to them. It got heated and both parties were yelling and cops were threatened to get called. Four managers again pulled me to the side and told me I had to control my reception or they were calling the police to have him arrested and shutting us down. I kept telling them I had nothing to do with it and wasn't paying attention to everyone else on MY wedding day. My husband came over and was talking to the manager and the manager informed my husband that there was a reception going on downstairs and they had paid more money than we had. That comment should NEVER be brought up in any type of conversation with a client who is also paying a sufficient amount of money to you as well. Even more so THE GROOM! He then told us that they were leaving it to the Altoona police. They left, and we had a really good night. I got past the rudeness and enjoyed my wedding night the best that I could. Overall, it is a nice place and everything, but the staff is unprofessional and extremely rude if something isn't going as planned. The only nice person was the bartender and he felt terrible that they had run out of alcohol and wouldn't restock with the three other bars in the hotel. My wedding night wasn't a complete "disaster" by any means, but I wouldn't suggest having a big meaningful event here unless you can control 200+ people and can deal with the unprofessionalism. And you better hope there isn't another party paying more money than you because you will here about it. I heard they're sending us an apology letter with a free night stay and free dinner, but we haven't decided if we'll actually use it. We also left our unity sand in the ceremony room after miscommunication as to who was picking it up, and got it back yesterday and it was obviously shaken up. The sand was no longer in layers. That's not something that you can just "redo" but either is a wedding night.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Jordyn W
Prosper, Texas
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife and I are originally from Iowa, born and raised and this past weekend we made the trip back to spend some time with family. Unfortunately we picked the weekend of the Iowa/Iowa State Football game in Ames so we were forced to stay in a hotel between Des Moines and Ames in Altoona. I specifically picked the Adventure Land Hotel because it was rated 4+ stars and because of my recollection of that property from the 1970s when it was built. Unfortunately, the hotel doesn't appear to have been updated since its construction in the '70s. Now while that is a bit of an exaggeration, it's not much of a stretch to say it is extremely outdated and reminded me of the Winchester Mansion with it's maze of hallways and disjointed connector halls and elevators. Our room had no outside windows or doors and was about as bright as a photo darkroom. The towels were tiny, the shower looked and worked like they purchased it at the Dollar Store. We paid $200/night for a room that was more like a $70/night room. The room was clean and the cleaning staff friendly, courteous and conscientious which is the only reason I didn't give the property one star instead of two. I have spent my life and career traveling the United States and the world on business and this is truly one of my more disappointing stays at any hotel, ever.

Room Tip: My advise is that if you want a nice room go to a different property
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ron M
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Ron, We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your stay at Adventureland Inn. We apologize your stay was not as justified as you were expecting. We value your constructive criticism which will in turn helps us better the quality of our hotel. Each year, we go through every room on property and make improvements to ensure that each guest enjoys their stay with us. We appreciate your thoughts and will use that on the inspection of this room to better the quality of the stay. Thank you again.
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Nice room, we had a room pool side and it was noisy but that was expected. Plenty of room there, and clean enough. Rooms do cost more than what I think they should, but not to over the top. Pool was good, but again best suited for younger kids. Food was good, fair priced. Overall good experience and will be back i'm sure.

Room Tip: West side pool seemed quieter, East has the swim up bar.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
We'd like to take the time to thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us with the exception of the noise and the room prices. We do offer a coupon on our website and special promotions on our Facebook page for room rates on certain dates. We hope your next stay is more enjoyable than the first. Thank you again.
Ralston, Nebraska
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

This was a great place for the weekend. We spent a day at the park after we checked in to the hotel. We got a shuttle ride to the park, so didn't have to pay for parking at the park. Plus we got dropped off at the gate. We had a family suite, poolside, which was great for the small kids in our group. The "referee" at the pool was very friendly, but kept the kids in line! We had breakfast at the buffet. The food from the buffet line was not very warm, but that was the only complaint we had for the entire visit.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Judy68127
Judy, We'd like to thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us. We're thrilled you enjoyed the shuttle to the park and our breakfast buffet. We value your thoughts and opinions and appreciate your feedback. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed here for a family wedding. Front desk staff were helpful with early check-ins and gave us vehicle passes to visit family in Adventureland Campground.

Booked 2 junior suites poolside. We were pleased with our rooms. They had good amenities and were clean and new.

Disappointed in the pool areas which were billed as a waterpark, but really had only a couple water features. Although the kids had fun for there for our one night, we have stayed for less money at hotels with nicer waterparks.

The hotel itself is large and rambling. Obviously they have built on over time. Long walks from the rooms to the front. The ballroom we had for the wedding ceremony and supper was very nice.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your stay with us and value your thoughts on our property. We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed our Junior Suites along with the ballroom for the wedding. We can understand your disappointment in the pool areas if it were billed as a waterpark. We try to explain our pools as water amenities so that there is no confusion as to what our pools offer for water features. We thank you again for your review and hope to serve you and your family again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altoona
Best Western Plus Altoona Inn
Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Altoona - Des Moines
Hampton Inn & Suites Altoona - Des Moines
Prairie Meadows Hotel
Prairie Meadows Hotel
#1 of 10 in Altoona
Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Altoona

Been to Adventureland Inn? Share your experiences!