“you cant beat this place”

Hilton Garden Inn Ames
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Start with great staff - add an exceptionally clean property and then add cookies in the afternoon and you should not miss this if you are in ames, iowa.

on the west side of ames and campus of isu about 5 miles away from I-35 but must be the best place in the city

Room Tip: try to get on the north side away from the highway
1  Thank JSH80634
AmesHGIGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your review. It was truly amazing to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. It is so rewarding to the team to know their hard work and effort pays off when they are able to perform at their best. Let me thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our property!

Reviewed 17 November 2011

I booked an overnight stay in Ames, IA on 11/16/11...the place to stay is Hilton Garden Inn Ames, IA located at 1325 Dickinson Ave, Ames IA. 50014. I travel a lot for work, a big part of my job is customer service and this team knows the right way to treat their customers, I had some room issues when I checked in and Rachel (front desk associate) took care of me no problem or hesitation she was "empowered" and knew exactly how to manuever around an obstacle to satisfy her customers, also their were some issues with the resturant the Fredrick Killian (General Manager) came in and ensure all of the customers in the resturant that was affected by the resturant issue were taken care of and ensured we were satisfied with how they handled the situation, I have never seen the attentiveness, customer support and willingness to satify as this team! I will definitely continue to stay at this Hilton location going forward as I will visit this area often they are personable and truly make you feel like they care and your important to them almost like family! I would highly recommend them to any travelers coming to Ames and friends/peers of mine, this team is an asset! Thank you for providing great customer service! its only too often we never hear the great service we are provided! and I thank you!!!!

1  Thank Vivian M

On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your review. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts, and takes the time to let us know our strengths and our weaknesses. But, it's only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services we provide. It means so much to the team to hear that your stay was Awesome! Let me thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our property!

Reviewed 12 November 2011

Rooms were clean. Staff was very friendly. Room service was good (had a hamburger one night and chicken Caesar salad the second). It's close to the highway (but no highway noise), about an hour from DES moines airport. Pool looked pretty small. It was very nice overall but nothing special about it stands out.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank PeppeWrangler

On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your review. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. I would invite and welcome any specific feedback in the way of "options" you would suggest that we could have available for you. Our goal is to be the hotel that has everything you need right where you need it so please let me know if there is anything we can do to improve your stay. Let me thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our property!

Reviewed 9 November 2011

This is likely the nicest hotel in Ames and not very far from campus. Rooms are very nice - include a fridge and microwave. Breakfast was great and made to order.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your review. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts, and takes the time to let us know our strengths and our weaknesses. We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services we provide. Let me thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our property!

Reviewed 31 October 2011

I am writing while staying at this hotel - I have been here for 8 nights now.

First the many positives:

1. The $10.95 all your can eat breakfast is great - let's see what did I have so far - onion omelette, cheese and sausage omelette, pancakes, french toast, french toast with banana bread, sausages, scrambled eggs - they will cook your breakfast to your liking. And the portions are huge. I should also mention the large selection of scones, fruits, danishes, and so on.

2. The rooms are big and comfortable. Very modern and up to date. The staff is great. There are cookies every afternoon (freshly baked) at the reception.

3. Nice 24 hr pantry with a number of options on drinks and snacks.

4. Great bar area and restaurant in case you don't wish to go out for dinner.

5. Did I mention great service - we arrived early for our check-in so it was taking a bit to get our rooms sorted out. She (I wish I remembered the name) asked us to sit down, and walked over after a few minutes and offered us anything we would like to drink (on the house).

6. Very nice and comfortable bed and pillows.

The minor flaws:

1. No room service on Sundays or for breakfast. Not really a flaw - it's their policy, and I should be okay - it's just that the day I wanted it, I wasn't well and didn't feel like going down for breakfast.

2. I left a "please change the linen" card on my bed, and came back to see that the linen weren't change (they were the next day after I asked the reception to look into it).

3. Also, a feedback to the hotel, if they read this - when we call the room service number, and you are not on service, the message shouldn't say "we are busy attending to other customers, please call later" or something like that - I tried calling a few times before calling reception to find out that the room service is not available on Sundays. It should simply route the call to reception - or have a more appropriate message.

There is one more small flaw, which I have talked about below in the room tip.

I fully recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: There are some rooms directly above the indoor pool (201, 203, 205 - i think) - i was in 203. The pr...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your review. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. I am so sorry that you experienced even the "tiny flaws" as these are truly the items in my opinion that count the most. I assure you I have shared your comments with my team and we will work hard to get them corrected. Let me thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our property!

Reviewed 26 September 2011

I stay at the HGI in Ames about 6-8 times a year and bring customers with me each time. The staff is always welcoming to me and my entire group each time I visit. My room is always clean and quiet and on the first floor as I request in my profile. The breakfast is always fabulous, no one goes away hungry! Thanks so much for your hospitality. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank CarolinaGirl205
AmesHGIGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2011

I am so grateful of your kind words as we strive to make every guests stay and experience as you have described it! I am so glad that we can meet and exceed your expectations and if you find yourself ever not feeling that same great feeling do not hesitate to reach out to us and let us make it right! Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

Arrived at 2:45 pm; just before the 3:00 pm Official Check-in time. The lobby was empty. Not a soul to be found. A phone call brought somebody out from the back to the Registration Desk and a room was made available.

My Hilton HHonors Club profile requests a QUIET room on a high floor away from elevator, ice machine and vending noise. This hotel takes such requests seriously because I was given the last room on the end of the hall as far away from elevator as possible. Unfortunately this room was next to a stairway that leads to the pool area and parking below, so hall noise and door slams were annoying.

Perhaps I also need to add to my profile: no internal connecting-room-door because noise from the next room was noted when staff were in there cleaning the room at 10:30 pm, with conversation in language other than English. (Perhaps no rooms at this property are quiet because there is some road noise from Highway 30 just outside the hotel, and this is a college-town with loud cars and music.)

Safety and security are excellent. Property is clean and extremely well kept. The pool area and fitness room are very clean and stocked with small towels. My hotel room had plenty of electrical outlets to plug in all of the electronic gadgets and rechargers. In my room, the toilet rocks and is not screwed down tight to the floor. Staff are very pleasant, but seem to be few in number. For example, on arrival, many of the room-doors on third floor were propped open with the swinging metal security latch, and housekeeping did not finish until after 10:30 pm. On my second night, my room was not remade until after 6 pm.

Some things you should know if you stay here:
1. Elevator #2 makes a loud grinding noise just before stopping at 3rd floor, and then the doors are slow to open…leads to panic that you may be trapped!
2. Breakfast is the only restaurant meal; evening is only room service, not dining room, and prices/service charges reflect this level of service. Very small bar is open in evening.
3. Usually a “perk” for Hilton HHonors Club members will be two free bottles of water at registration desk or in the room. Had to ask if this welcome gift was offered at this hotel in order to receive bottled water.
4. USA Today was placed by the door Tuesday morning, but not on Wednesday morning. No papers were visible in the hall, so I guess that employee did not show up for work that morning! So do not count on a morning paper to read.
5. Verify hours in advance if you plan to use the pool or fitness room. For example, the pool hours in the room Welcome-book are listed as 6am to 11pm, but the check-in Welcome-folder says 6am to Midnight (fitness room included). Both must be wrong because the pool entrance door says 9am to 10pm. The fitness room is listed in the room Welcome-Pbook as 24 hours, but hours posted on the door are more limited.

Room Tip: Ask for room on front side of hotel to avoid Highway 30 noise.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jamesham
AmesHGIGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

I am terribly sorry for the short comings you experienced in our hotel and I wanted to reach out to you and share that we are always striving to deliver the best experience to our guests and when we fall short we definitely work on making it right and offering better coaching for our team to not have the mistakes we can avoid not repeat. I would like you to reach out to me or my guest agents to update your Myway profile so that we can take care of the location you need to be placed in the hotel. As to single out the other concerns would be un beneficial to you so I would like to also offer on that call some form of compensation for you. Whatever you feel that would look like we can discuss at that time but I want you to know that I cannot take back what took place but I can own it and be responsible for the future.

I look forward to your response. 515-233-800.