“Great stay”

Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Davenport, Iowa
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

I always travel with Holiday Inn Express when I can and this hotel is the reason why. I can expect everything to be the way I need it. From being greeted as a platinum member and being upgraded to a suite and waking up to a variety of healthy eating options. I always choose to stay at a Holiday Inn Express when possible!!

Room Tip: ask for a suite!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FamMan29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Shorewood, MN.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stay at Holiday Inn Express locations frequently. We generally get the suite for the extra room for our family. At this location, the suite was smaller than in other locations we have been at. Usually the suites have the sofa sleeper with a separate TV in a separate room with a door. This one had the sofa sleeper right next to the beds with a tiny 1/4 wall divider and no second TV. The room was clean and the beds comfortable, the breakfast typical hotel fare. My complaint was the rate they charged for the room. We were there during ISU Family Weekend to visit our son. Hotel rooms book up quickly for this weekend. Thus, the hotels can and do charge VERY HIGH rates for this weekend. In our case,the rate was double the normal rate for a weekend. $259/night for an average room in an average hotel in Iowa! OUCH! Not worth it and we won't attend Family Weekend again because of it.

Room Tip: Don't expect much with the suites.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank redheadscuba
Eastern Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

My son moved into ISU and we stayed here the night before. For some reason they have the Cardinals on Fox Sports instead of the Twins. The breakfast wasn't as varied as I've had at other Express locations and the internet connection had some reliability issues. The location is close to the interstate and convenient to campus. Fine place for a quick overnight.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

Had traiing in the area and this hotel was located right off the expressway. Front Desk Staff was very helpful. Room was clean and good sized. Would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

We are a family of 5 and needed 2 beds with sleeper- so our options in town were limited. Of the Holiday Inn Expresses I've stayed at, this rates at the bottom. It wasn't bad- but a bit disappointing compared to other ones I've stayed at.
Our room was on the 3rd floor. Apparently one end of the 3rd floor is smoking rooms, so the entire hallway reeked of smoke and the smell even came in through our door. I didn't realize that smoking hotel rooms were even an option anymore! I really wish the desk clerk would have made that clear to us.
The room itself was fine- but some nastly black mold in the bathroom. They only left 3 bath towels, which I thought was pretty stingy. Same with the pool- where the number of towels was very, very limited. The pool was very, very small and very, very chlorinated and very, very crowded with kids.
Break fast was a highlight of the stay here, where the kids were fascinated by the "magic pancake machine". As always, they have a pretty good breakfast spread.

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor (unless you are a chain smoke!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank citygal07
Amit S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to inform us about your recent stay at our hotel.
I have shared your comments with all of our staff and be assured our number one goal is to assure guest satisfaction. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. I encourage you to call me directly during your next trip. We hope to be of service to you in the future.
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

My family and I were here visiting and we absolutely loved this hotel and their staff. They had the warmest pool I have ever been in and my kids loved the breakfast. Their pancake machine is something I have never seen before!! Hot pancakes in 30 seconds that were delicious! Will definitely stay at this hotel next time I am in town!!

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

I had a great time at this hotel. Staff was on top of everything from the moment I checked in until the time I left. They recommended this great pizza place on main street. The staff was very chatty and made me feel at home! Will be back again next month.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business