“Average hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Ames
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Service is not so good, peolple at reception are not so gentle.
Room was clean and confortable. Hotel is placed in a nice position, near shopping centre.
The price is high compared to the service that they offer

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

Dear RamonDedor,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. I am glad that you liked our location. I am sorry the service you received was less than satisfactory and i want to assure you that this is not our norm. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make it right.

Irish V.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Stayed here for one night in October after attending an event at Iowa State. Hotel is just about a 10 minute drive from campus, right off I-35.

Our reservation was a Priceline bid. When we arrived, we had been booked into a 2-queen smoking room. Being non-smokers with a 3 year-old, we indicated that we preferred non-smoking if available. They had no non-smoking, 2 queen rooms, but the guy at the desk did some checking and after a couple minutes, upgraded us to a Junior Suite. It was very appreciated by us - not only did we get the non-smoking room, but had some extra space for our 3 year-old as well. A+ in my book.

We used the pool twice. It was warm by pool standards, which is fine with me. It was a little warm in the pool area, but it also had windows so we could open those and get some cool weather in to offset it.

The free breakfast was very good - very wide selection. Loved that they had hard boiled eggs and chocolate milk in cartons. All of the usual fare and a few unique items.

The internet speed was a tad bit slow, but more than adequate. Large selection of TV channels, but yet another hotel with no NFL Network :(

Love the fact that the rooms came with fridges/microwaves, and what was more impressive was the tiny little area they took up. It was just a small nook, so it wasn't in the way, but had the necessities plus a sink.

Great hotel - great service. Absolutely a place I will stay again when back in Ames.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kuch1000
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I got this hotel for cheap on the Priceline Negotiator at 60 dollars so if you can get that, I would do it. I checked in and it was quick and easy. My room was clean. TV, Fridge and Microwaved all worked. The Internet was slower than slow. I used my phone as a wi-fi hotspot and that was faster (I checked on speedtest.net) than the internet. I went down to use the pool, but there was no hot tub and got bummed out. After going to bed, there are no shades that cover the window and get rid of darkness so I slept with the sign and this bright light right in my window all night. Woke up to kids doing karate in the hallway (Not the hotel's fault). The breakfast was good and they have a pancake maker that was awesome.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the highway.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Room ws ok until my wife went to shower. No way to get water out of the shower head. Drain was soooo slow. Coffee maker didn't work. Talked to the person at the desk and he said all he could do was a 10 percent rebate. He said he couldn't do any better since we already had a government rate. He should have wiped the charges out completely. Never stay there again, but fortunately our experiences at other Holiday Inn properties have been much better.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Dear Ellie1704,

Irish V.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

Stayed here during iowa state fair and had a great time. Didn't have deal with the outrageous prices in des moines and spent some quality time with friends here. It was a little hard to get a room some of the days but they made sure I was taken care of. Will be back next time!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Nice property, but the staff requires that you hand over your drivers license which they make a copy of. No other hotel I've ever been at, anywhere, has ever asked me for this. They said its company policy. Value your private information? What to avoid identify theft? Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Dear Chuck H,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience or difficulties you may have had during check-in. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Karen G

Reviewed 31 August 2012

0 friends
Ross H.
Tucson, AZ
8/30/2012
I got robbed by someone on staff.  I left my prescription drugs that I need hidden in my room and most of them were taken from a zipped bag hidden behind clothes. The desk clerk refused to even give me the managers name, let alone the name of the staff that had access to my room.  I called the police and gave a report.  I was here for a trade show and was not only ripped off by staff, but was also ripped off by the hotel. It's about a 90.00 room that they jacked up the rate to 239.00.  The manager has refused to to talk to me about the incident of theft with indifference.   Since my complaint the room service has been deplorable.  They made the bed, but left garbage around the room adding insult to injury.  It's the only place in town I could get a room as there is a large trade show in town.  If I had a choice I would have moved.  But no rooms were available anywhere.  The so called breakfast is sub par.  Coffee and toast is the best they offer.
 STAY AWAY!   It's bad enough that I was robbed, but management just blew me off.  Please don't give your money to this hotel.
 Even the officer that took the complaint confessed that in reality I would receive no satisfactory outcome.
 The management did not so much as give me a sympathetic response like we are sorry this happened and We will look into it.  Nothing at all.  The only reaction from them was to refuse to discuss it.
 I realize one bad employee can ruin the reputation of an establishment.   But the real jist of this is that management blew me off in a most unprofessional manner.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this dishonest hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank 2flush
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Dear 2flush,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am most disappointed and concerned to read your comments. I would like to address your concerns in further details. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information regarding your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Joel B