“Comfortable Stay”

Holiday Inn Express Ames
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My wife and I stopped here for a night on the way back to Missouri from Minnesota. Check in was quick, and the person at the front desk suggested several local restaurants for dinner. It was a slow night, there were probably only 10 cars in the parking lot, so it was very quiet. Room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was decent, they had fresh cinnamon rolls, cereal, yogurt, a pancake maker, and eggs. My only complaint is that at about 9:30pm all but a few of the TV channels quit working. We were too tired to care at that point, and I forgot to mention it at check out, so it wasn't a big deal.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
PatriotHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel on Tripadvisor. The Holiday Inn Express prides itself on delivering service and quality worth 5 stars. It is the goal of the team to exceed your expectations.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the guestrooms as well as the the breakfast. On behalf of the team at the Holiday Inn Express Ames, Iowa, we hope that the next time you are in the Ames, Iowa area, you will give us an opportunity to provide you Five-Star Service.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This Holiday Inn Express in Ames is a very decent Holiday Inn Express which I believe is on par with other Holiday Inn Expresses. Like all other 2.5 star hotels, this hotel is great for short trips which you aren't spending a lot of time in the hotel. It was very comfortable and the staff was very welcoming. The room itself was clean, inviting, and comfortable. One issue I noticed with the rooms was a few lady bugs were wandering in the bathroom but it can be MUCH worse than that. We didn't use the pool but it looked like any other hotel pool. Clean and can be fun if you have kids. Note there is no hot tub at this hotel. One thing I love about stay at Holiday Inn Expresses is the free breakfast in the morning. The Ames location did not disappoint! Our morning they had pancakes made fresh by an automated machine, warm cinnamon rolls (so good!), biscuits and gravy, bacon, cheesy omelettes, cereal, oatmeal, etc. It was a very nice stay for another great weekend back in Ames and would return again to the Holiday Inn Express Ames!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I checked in for 1 night while in Iowa on a business trip. The hotel seems to be a little outdated and needs a little refreshing/remodeling. Room was ok...but not quite as nice as most Holiday Inn Express locations. Room was clean and comfortable. Desk chair needed to be replaced as it wobbled. Breakfast bar was good, as usual in any Holiday Inn Express. But the service was excellent. Was greeted as a hotel reward member and received a call shortly after check-in to make sure everything was ok with my room. They also asked if I needed dinner suggestions for the night. Service was the high point of my stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed one night.
We needed to book a suite because the hotel didn't have available any 2 QUEEN BEDS NONSMOKING. A little more pricey that we expected.
The room was nice, large and clean with a small kitchen, a pull out couch.
The bathroom was very clean.

Front desk staff was very courteous and helpful .
The help us to find a great place to have dinner and provided us a map.

The continental breakfast was just fine, with the usual offerings.
The coffee was not good, actually pretty bad.
The staff working in the dinning room were very helpful.

The hotel has great location, right off of I-35 in Ames and near Ames downtown.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Checked in here for 2 nights of rest and relaxation after some heavy on the road time. The hotel is pretty standard. Not great but not bad. I basically wanted to just chill out and watch tv before Getting back on the road. It says it has 80+ channels on the list but most of them came up as "channel unavailable" half the time and other times none of the channels would work unless you turned off the tv and then turned it back on again. I have had issues with a lot of hotel TVs in the last month, even at 4 and 5 star hotels. With all of the technology available now, why do hotels still used such shoddy and inconsistent cable delivery systems? It's pretty disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear Brian L,

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at our property, As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. We would like to apologize for the problems that you had experienced regarding the television service during your stay with us. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate department where great attention will be paid to the matter.

Thank you for taking your time to inform us with this information. We hope to have the chance to serve you better again in the near future.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed on a reward night, so I cannot comment on "value" relative to cost.

The good/great:
There was a cheerful elephant made of towels on the bed and a note from management welcoming me to the room.
1. I was happy with the cleanliness and decor in the room (215), the indoor swimming pool, the elevator and the breakfast area. I think the bathroom was very clean and bright.
2. The breakfast had a good variety of choices, both hot and cold foods, and even a machine that deposits pancakes on your plate with minimal effort.
3. The location is good and there's an Arby's right next to the hotel.

The cons:
1. Mattresses were too soft. Yes I know that mattress firmness is a personal preference, but I could feel my mattress was "dipping" towards the center - and that doesn't make for a comfortable sleep.
2. Staff is generally courteous, but needs to improve communication within the employees. I telephoned my request for a crib over a day in advance, and asked for towels for 4 people about an hour before my arrival. Both requests "fell through the cracks".

Suggestions:
1. Make some microwave-safe cups and plates available to be borrowed by guests. I wanted to boil some water and the hot water dispenser (in the breakfast area) was empty. I would have gladly used the microwave in my room to boil some water, but the room or the front desk did not have any microwave-safe utensils.
2. Install some mattresses with quantifiable firmness (e.g. a Sleep Number) in a few rooms and let guests request firm mattresses during reservations.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Good location, right off of I-35 in Ames. Front desk staff was courteous, and the room was very clean. The continental breakfast was just fine. I only made a quick overnight stay here while driving through, so I can't say much about the other hotel amenities, but I would definitely stay here again. The only negative was that I could hear noise late at night and early in the morning (kids running in the hall, doors opening and closing...), but you'll find that at just about any hotel of this type.