“Great Again”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Iowa
“Great Again”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This is my third stay and I have been impressed every time. No, there is no free breakfast, which is slightly inconvenient but they do have an okay restaurant on premises. 3 quick fixes would make this place perfect. 1. Train the bartenders how to make mixed drinks-they are all really friendly and professional, just not well trained. Buy a mixed drinks book so they can look things up! 2. Open the fitness center 24/7, many hotels are doing that now and it is extremely helpful! 3. Extend the pool hours (and turn the pool heat up just a bit). When a pool opens at 8am and closes at 10pm, there is not much swimming time for business people! I love it when hotel pool hours are 5am-midnight! Great location and I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
PatriotHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center At Isu, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor. The Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center takes each review as a way to continually improve how we deliver exceptional service and quality.

We have presented your suggestions to Management in the hopes of extending the Fitness Center hours and the pool hours. We do feel that this is a valued added amenity to the business traveler especially after a long day at work.

We invite to you to visit us again when you return to the Ames, Iowa area. Our goal is to achieve a 5 Star rating the next time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Spent one night there while visiting Iowa State with my son. The property seemed relatively new, was very clean and the service was excellent. The rooms were quite spacious and the beds comfortable. I thought the breakfast options were great and prefer menu service to a continental even if I have to pay for it. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
PatriotHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center At Isu, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to rate the Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center on Trip Advisor.

The hotel strives to deliver 5 Star service and quality to each and every guest every day. While we are disappointed we did not meet this goal with you, we hope to "try" harder the next time.
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I was pretty disappointed when I found out that they do not offer a free breakfast. I turned down a hotel right across the road because of the reviews it has received. However, if I would have known that Holiday Inn does not offer a FREE breakfast i would have gone to the cheaper one and received the free breakfast with it. Complete Bummer. Will not stay at another holiday inn again..

Room Tip: Does not offer free breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center At Isu, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Chuck4154,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We would like to apologize for your disappointment that we do not offer free breakfast. You may check out our hotel restaurant that offers a variety of food at an affordable price. We also have room rates that comes with breakfast. We assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Modesto, California
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed here on the way to Boone railroad museum. It is a college town and closest big town. The property is off a freeway and easy to find. Easy check in and check-out.
The front staff was very nice. The room was big enough (I think that it is considered suite) for 4 adults and a baby. They had a crib, too. The property has a pool and we were able to get extra towels without problems. We had encountered a hotel that had no towels for number of us. So we were happy about this.
The room has a coffee maker (makes a cup). As always, I ran water at first. It was dirty. I could not get rid of coffee grind in the hot water so I gave up. I would not drink coffee or tea in the room. We were able to get hot water from the hotel staff.
The hotel has a cafe for breakfast and dinner. We got a map for restaurants from the hotel. If you are willing to drive, there are quite few restaurants. The map was pretty accurate and helpful.
Bathroom was not so big. But sink was outside the bathroom. it was convenient for the family. All of us noticed black mold on the shower curtain. The two big spots. it was just disturbing.
In the morning, we used $20 coupon to eat at the cafe. We paid about $10 for four adults food and coffee. Other Holiday Inn we stayed offered breakfast buffet, so this one is different.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center At Isu, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear funisgood2010,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 May 2013

After a long day of driving I needed a quite place to rest. I found and checked in to this hotel. I was very pleased to find a very friendly staff member at the front desk. My room accommodations were very clean, quite, and comfortable. I do highly recommend this hotel for your overnight stay.
Mr. & Mrs. R.T.

Room Tip: If you are on a road trip and need a place to spend the night, this hotel is a very good choice.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Trinidad
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. Although it was a business trip . The service and the breakfast is very good. The staff is very accommodating. Early check in is possible. the room was very comfortable.

Room Tip: You can ask for an early check in.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark B
Iowa
Reviewed 29 March 2013

All of the employees there were great! (Joanna, the bartender-especially AWESOME!) I was able to get into my room a couple of hours early, which was a decent size and almost clean. There were a couple of crumbs on the floor in one corner and the shower curtain needed to be bleached. The air conditioning wasn't working but they had a maintenance person come fix it the next day. There is a nice running trail in front of the hotel that goes right to the University, which is only about a mile away. The fitness center was okay-2 treadmills, a bike and something else (which I never use anywhere cause they look scary) and some free weights. Kind of a small room packed with this equipment so it's hard to do anything else in there. The pool was beyond freezing cold and so was the kids area. The hot tub was great but it would be nice to have the pool area open later than 10pm. The only thing I ate here was the french fries (and they were yummy!) but the other food I saw people eating looked great!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business