“Buyer Beware!”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Where do I begin? First, I am a fan of this chain having very positive experiences in the past. But this location was just not up to par! I reserved a room well in advance asking for a single queen bed and requesting a room on the lower level. Upon arrival, I was told that all single queens were on the 2nd floor other than the HC accessible rooms. I said that was OK, but the HC rooms were all sold out. The 2nd floor would not have been bad but the place HAS NO ELEVATOR. I wasn't about to drag luggage up the stairs so the alternative was to have a lower level room with a KS bed at a higher price. I wasn't happy about this but after driving all day, I was not in a mood to argue so took it. I will state, however, that it was a comfortable room, but I was just not happy with the way the whole thing was handled.
The breakfast was the standard fare and most of the front desk crew were pleasant and helpful. And, the pricing could not be beat for the Ames marketplace. Quite a savings here, if one is willing to contend with other irritations, issues, etc.

Room Tip: I would recommend not relying just on the internet site for reservations. I would call the property...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave R

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

The room was nice and staff was very friendly!! Breakfast choices were subpar but ok compared to nothing - the pool was ok, small and no hottub. Would recommend for the price and the location right off if the interstate and distance from Des Moines.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I had very low expectations for our stay here and even those weren't low enough. We were in Ames for a graduation and never would have chosen this motel ourselves, but family members had reserved a block of rooms, and we felt it would be rude to stay elsewhere. As you read this, please bear in mind that our two-night stay cost more than $300.

First, although the rooms had been reserved for months, the staff gave away one of our rooms because a party arrived who couldn't handle stairs (the motel has no elevator). So, some of our family were shuffled to the second floor, splitting up our group.

Then, when handing me our key cards, the woman at the front desk loudly declared my room number for all to hear––a potential safety issue no matter where you are.

When we opened the door to our room, we literally took a step back because it stunk so badly. The musty/stale smell was almost overpowering, so we immediately opened our window. Unfortunately that wasn't an option for the entire stay because we were on the ground floor and the motel was next to a busy road––so safety and noise issues prevailed. The smell actually woke me up a couple of times because it permeated everything. I must add that it was our choice to stay near family and not to ask for a different room. Given that it was graduation weekend, we assumed it would have been difficult to accommodate a request for a different room anyway.

Then we had a difficult time getting our suitcase into the room because the carpet was rolling up in front of it. Not good first impressions.

When I washed my face, the washcloth had two quarter-sized holes in it. How do you fold something and miss that? And speaking of thin...if there is such a thing as ½-ply toilet paper and tissues, that’s what they use.

I will say that the front desk staff were helpful in getting an iron and ironing board to our room. However, the first iron didn't work. Also, given that the woman who brought the ironing board was looking for a place to hang it, we figured some rooms must have come already equipped with an ironing board and iron. We also discovered some members of our group had mini refrigerators. We didn't and wished we had. This hit-or-miss amenities set-up is poor business.

When we went to breakfast the next morning, I asked a housekeeping staff for a "do not disturb" sign because we didn't have one and we didn't want anyone in the room while we were eating. Breakfast was OK––mostly carbs.

It was inconvenient to have breakfast end at 9:00, especially on weekends. That might be nice for staff to get it over and done, but several of our party arrived very late the previous evening, so making it to breakfast on time was difficult.

Our family group remained in the breakfast room until about 10:00. We went to our room, changed clothes, and left at 10:45, making sure to take the "do not disturb" sign off the door. I left a tip for the housekeeping staff and placed it by the note asking them to see if they could do something about the terrible smell. (It seemed to be exacerbated by the air conditioning unit.)

We got back at about 2:30 to change our clothes again. The room still hadn't been made up, but we figured it was a busy graduation weekend, so surely they'd clean the room and address the stench problem later that day.

At the graduation party, some of us began comparing our experiences and everyone said their rooms stunk, so we began to suspect we would just have to live with it.

Imagine our surprise when we got back at 8:00 and the room still hadn't been cleaned. My husband told the front desk staff. The response was “it was a hectic weekend,” and they asked if we'd had a "do not disturb" sign out. We had––until 10:45––and the housekeeping staff stayed until 1:00. They just plain messed up. We were offered $10 off our bill to make up for it. When my husband said that was not satisfactory, he was told the only option was to speak to the manager the next morning.

When we got up to leave the next morning, the manager still hadn't arrived, so no one had any power to do anything. Granted, we left at 7:00 (skipping breakfast and opting to get something decent on the road), but if a business insists that guests have to have breakfast done by 9:00, then either a manager should be there plenty early or employees should be empowered to provide customer satisfaction.

When we got home, we washed every article of clothing we had––even the unused ones in the suitcase––to get rid of the smell. We were extremely unhappy with the experience and will never stay there again, even if it means not being close to family.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank VNE
Reviewed 15 April 2014

evening front end staff was excellent. no one around in the morning when we wanted to check out. no one keeping up breakfast room either. out of coffee for a long time.
there is only one restaurant (Mexican) within walking distance and 5-6 motels. This one was $10 cheaper than Super 8. Pool not operational.
Large room, very clean, strong shower, lots of large, fluffy towels.
Noise until 1 a.m.and other neighbors up at 5. Doors slam noisily.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I recently stayed at the hotel and there was bed bugs in my room. I was offered to move to a different room but I honestly didn't want to stay in the hotel. However it was really late and the guy behind the front desk seemed he was having trouble with the computer. I ended up in a smaller room with stains on the sheets. Breakfast was ok. I was surprise they wash their dishes in the sink though. Very unappealing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank xavialonso27
Bansri A, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you for taking your valuable time out and providing us with your feedback .I apologize for your experience, I did research on your case and unfortunately we did not find any such complaint reported to front desk or housekeeping staff during the reported stay period. However, you would be glad to know that we did conduct through check through a professional pest control company and we did not find any problem with any of our recently rented rooms. We take our customers comfort and safety very seriously and follow all health rules and regulations diligently. We definitely want to make this right with you and would like to get more information from you, please feel free to contact me directly through Motel Phone or via Email : Econolodgeames@gmail.com

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Christmas Day in a college town- room, property, and breakfast better than the Quality Inn next door that we moved from- and significantly cheaper. A very nice surprise considering the place of Econolodge in the Choice Hotel group.

Room Tip: Avoid the pet wing if you aren't travelling with one.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Bansri A, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for providing us the feedback. It is very important to see how our guest felt about their stay and I am very glad that we were able to meet your expectations.we would love to have you come back and stay with us in future when you are in this area again to provide you with even better service and Stay. Thank you and have a wonderful New Year :)

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Room was small with bed almost up against the wall on one side. Air conditioner/heating unit was extremely noisy. Traffic noise was very loud. The room we got was not what we were promised on our confirmation. We got a full size bed instead of a king size.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank unhappystay560

Dear Guest- I apologize for any inconvenience during your stay with us. We definitely want to make this right with you please feel free to contact me at the hotel # 515-233-6060.I would be more than glad to resolve this issue and see if there was any misunderstanding as all we have for room types is either Queen or Kings.It would be our pleasure to have to you stay with us again when you are around, for a much better experience. Thank you for providing us your feedback, as it helps us immensely.