GrandStay Hotel & Suites Ames
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsold chicagogrand stayone bedroom suitemini kitchenseparate bedroomsfull size fridgerooms are greathickory parkhome away from homedance competitionextra roomweek staymy sonnice facilitylocation was perfectplace to stayiowa state
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Taking my son to visit Iowa State University and this one appeared to be the closest. Usual sort of hotel of this nature and clean rooms. Corridors in these places always look like they have been decorated by someone stuck in the early 80s. Friendly welcome. Rooms were clean but small and sheets and blankets (why not duvets?). Beds were not the most comfortable. Free Wi Fi.
In the morning we took a look at the breakfast but it was appalling. 2 tables for about 20 people. I tried the round omellette thing, but could only take one bite. We left and found a Starbucks. Would I stay here again? I think i would try somewhere else.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2010

Dear Loluk,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear some of our services did not meet your expectations. I am concerned about the lack of dining space that you mentioned. In fact we do have 6 breakfast tables, all of which accommodate up to 3-4 guests. We also have a lobby area for overflow with very comfortable furniture and tables for our morning rush. The weekend you were staying, we were full and had many guests in the lobby at the same time that morning. Although we cannot control this, we are sorry that it was an unpleasant experience. We serve several hot items on our gourmet express breakfast. We will take a look at the item you mentioned to be sure it can be improved for our future guests. Thanks for your comments, and we hope that you will give us another try in the future. –General Manager, Ames GrandStay Hotel.

Reviewed 10 October 2009

Enjoyed staying here. We stayed here before and have already planned another stay. Very clean and the kitchenette was very well furnished. Was able to make a dish to take to a cookout easily.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2009

The general quality of the hotel is OK and everything you expect from a 2* accommodation. The hotel is let down by unhelpful staff and their very loud air conditioner (it vibrates the whole room when on). Staying on the ground floor meant that you wouldn't want your window open due to the noise outside that starts very early in the morning. The desk in the room is large and well proportioned but close to the fridge which is also noisy. If you are a deep sleeper and don't mind staying in a noisy environment this hotel is fine.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2009

I am so sorry to hear that your stay here was loud and disruptive. I am more concerned that the staff was not able to assist you in the concern and find a remedy for you. Please accept my sincere apology and I would love to hear from you on the more specifics ways the staff could have been more helpful so that I will have the opportunity to review this and make sure that none of our valued guests have that experience. We take pride in taking care of our guests and if we let you down then I want to make it right! I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your feedback. Sincerely, Fredrick Killian GM Ames GrandStay Hotel.

Reviewed 22 September 2009

A friend and I stayed in the two bedroom handicap suite when we went to the sugarland concert in ames. I am in a wheelchair and a right leg amputee.The room was more then I expected as for those of us who know some rooms are not as handicap friendly as others. It had the fold down bench in the shower, the hand held shower head, grab bars in the bathroom where they should be, and was able to get around everywhere in the room, even in the kitchen and the bedrooms very spacious.
The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful with questions and directions. It was a great location close to the campus and shopping and resturants. If you do go to ames you have to eat at Hickory Park great place to eat.
The breakfast had lots of variety if you couldn't find something you liked you have to be very picky. It was very clean and I can't say enough good about this hotel. My friend and I plan on going back soon and taking our children as this room had plenty of room and a great value.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank iowarose27
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Hotel and room were clean and well maintained. We enjoyed the ability to prepare our own meals in our room. The dishes, utensils and cookware were sufficent for simple cooking. Everything nearby (restaurants, discount retail stores, freeway). If I have to be critical, I was displeased with the free wireless internet service. It was infrequently connecting and frustrating. The hotel allows pets, so watch out for pet waste in the grass! I will stay here again if I ever go back to Iowa!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family