“Unclean rooms, Odd layout, Unhelpful staff”

Baymont Inn & Suites Ames
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I regularly stay at Comfort Inns, and I was very disappointed with my experience here. I arrived at the hotel after a two-and-a-half hour drive, and the woman at the registration desk told me that there was no restroom for guest use. I did the bathroom-dance in the lobby waiting for another party to check in before it was my turn. (I debated leaving to find somewhere nearby to use the restroom.) After checking in that group, the clerk offered to let me use the staff restroom. (Why didn't she offer that in the first place? "Insurance reasons.")

The room was a fine size, and the best were comfortable, but the room was not clean. The carpet appeared dirty, and there was very obvious black mold in the bathroom, and the finish was missing on several parts of the bathtub. The ceiling was also peeling, with pieces of paint/texture hanging from the ceiling. When I checked out in the morning, the clerk seemed shocked that there was mold in the bathroom. (Either he was faking it or the cleaning crew is doing a poor job keeping administration informed.) During my stay, I passed three different clerks in the lobby, and I was never greeted by any of them. (Not even a smile or nod of the head to acknowledge me.)

I had plans for breakfast with friends, so I didn't stay for the continental breakfast. I did go into the very small breakfast area to get a piece of fruit for my drive home, but I didn't eat my apple because it looked like the fruit wasn't washed before being put out. Gross.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Inkapaul
There are newer reviews for Baymont Inn & Suites Ames

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We will probably not stay at this hotel again. Our sons room on the second floor had sticky carpet. Like pop, juice, whatever was not cleaned up. Our room had black mood growing on the baseboard in the bathroom, on the grab bar at the tub and above the bath. The breakfast was ok. I question the pool area and wondered how clean it was. The hall carpets appeared to be dirty. When I talked to the manager re: these issues he said it is hard to keep good help. I would not stay there again. The desk attendant when we registered was very nice. Breakfast area is way too small.

Room Tip: Keep looking for a place to stay.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2013

stayed here for the first time Sept 2013. This is a nice clean hotel right off 35W. El Azteca mexican restaurant across the street was great. staff when checking in did not go out of the way to help. asked for an upgrade and before she even looked said I know we can't do that. Being a choice Platinum member I know she could have at least pretended to look. then when she did find my name asked about my stay. just very short I will stay again and hope that staff is better trained.

Room Tip: All roons have 32" Hd tvs Nice pool and Hot tub looked great
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Like other reviews this place is average clean close to interstate we did not hear road noise from our room and it was facing road. The price was good for when we stayed the Iowa state fair was going on so many of other places were full or at a very high rate. The only bad thing i could think of this place is breakfast area is VERY small only 4-5 tables

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dfbf3131
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Hey its a normal Comfort Inn. They had rooms when it seemed like everything else in town was full. Not my first choice but it was ok for one night.
Next to the Interstate and could hear the road noise somewhat.
Not much to say since I was only in the room for 6 hours.
Staff person was pleasant and knew their job well. Check in was quick.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor (but no elevator) away from the highway and at the far end away from the lobby.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank dennish414
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

The motel is OK but wouldn't stay again. The location is good, it does have a pool and breakfast, and it isn't filthy. But the entire place smells musty, floors were sticky, rooms not that clean, and pool area needs maintenance. Desk attendant at check-in was not very friendly or approachable. There are several nicer hotels in the area for the same price or better, so i would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I travel alot for business & leisure. I usually shy away from Comfort Inns-but all hotels in the area were sold out. I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Rooms were in good condition & clean. Beds were very comfortable. Hotel was in good condition. Staff was very attentive, friendly & professional. There were a group of high school kids staying there also. When someone checking in next to me made a comment about the kids causing alot of noise. The desk staff person informed them that the chaperones had asked the front desk to notify them if the kids got too loud and they would take care of it. The high school kids were not a problem.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business