All reviews front desk room was clean place to stay hot breakfast other hotels in town nice stay internet channels
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Our stay was great. We were in Ames for a aunt's funeral and had to book last minute. The staff at the Hampton were very helpful not only for us but our extended family as well. The 1st night when we walked into our room there was a beautiful bouquet of flowers from the hotel extending their sympathy to us for our loss. This to me was a very kind gesture, going above and beyond customer service. I will make the Hampton of Ames my #1 place to stay in Ames.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for your great review! Our entire team was very sorry to hear about your loss and are glad we were able to help you and your entire family during your trip to Ames! Providing great guest service is what Hampton is known for! (We even gave it our own name - Hamptonality!) On behalf of all your friends at our Hampton Inn Ames, we are thrilled to hear we are your number one choice and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Just overall sub-par compared to what I am used to. Checkin staff did not seem adequately trained. The rooms are very small. Halls smell like stale smoke. Breakfast fruit was uneatable (old/mushy) , Out of coffee, the area pool was so hot that it was uncomfortable, The fan in room was very loud and temperature hard to regulate. When I arrived Temp was at 78 degrees... I like it at 65. Temp was 70 degrees at departure at 9 am... Positives: The breakfast lady was very friendly.

Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback about your past stay with us at our Hampton! We strive for 100% guest satisfaction and we were sad to see we didn't meet your expectations with your heating cooling unit in your guest room, our breakfast items, front desk staff, and our swimming pool. Again, thank you for letting us know so we can work with our team to try and resolve these issues. We have reached out to you via email so we can honor our 100% Hampton Guarantee. We would love to have to back as I assure you this is not the usual experience at our Hampton! Our entire team looks forward to seeing you again for a more enjoyable experience next time your travels bring you to the area!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is a very nice small Hampton Inn. It is very warm and inviting. Lobby is small and quaint. Desk staff very welcoming and helpful. They had a map of Iowa State Univ. which is where we were heading and the gentleman at the desk gave us perfect directions. The rooms were clean and comfortable. It was very quiet as well considering the parking lot was very full. The breakfast was small but good. They had several cereals, breads, muffins, waffle maker, yogurt and fruit. The hot breakfast consisted of an omelet, potatoes and sausage. I look forward to staying at this location again.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you for letting others know about your time with us at our Hampton! I'm very excited to share your review with our team. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us during your trip to visit Iowa State University! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

The hotel was clean and the staff very helpful. Our meeting went well and the hotel staff was very accomodating. The WiFi could have been quicker in the meeting room, but I have found this to be an issue at many hotels.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

We loved having you here and are glad you selected our Hampton not only for your past meeting but to stay with us as well! We have forwarded on your comments about our internet to our Stay Connected by AT&T support team to see what went wrong during your time with us in our meeting room! Thank you again for providing us with feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I spent one night at the Hampton Inn as I could not make it home after work due to a snowstorm. The check-in staff were very efficient. What a nice surprise to see warm soup and cookies waiting for guests if they chose not to venture back out into the awful weather!
My room was on the first floor and was very clean and suited my needs. Very comfortable king size bed, large flat screen tv, refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker available. Free wi-fi in the room. This is an older hotel, but has been remodeled. However, the walls seem a bit thin and could hear noise next door and in the hallway at night. My room door didn't seem to fit very well in the door frame and jiggled as people walked by. Thank goodness for the deadbolt and security latch!
I did use the exercise facility--one treadmill and one elliptical. The treadmill and elliptical were both Precors and were in good working order! Pool was small but adequate for the size of the hotel.
Breakfast the next morning was good. Hot items included cheese omelets, sausage, make your own waffles and a breakfast bagel sandwich. Cold cereal, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, breads and pastries rounded out the menu.
I prefer to stay in Hampton Inns when traveling. Was very thankful that this hotel had a spare room for my last minute booking! I would definitely stay here again if Mother Nature decides not to cooperate when it comes time for my commute home from work!

• Trip type: Travelled solo

We love to really "wow" our guests and our team was excited to offer our guests fresh soup during the most recent blizzard that came through Ames! We can't wait to summer to arrive! Our team was thrilled to hear your review about our hotel, and we are sorry about the noise issues you had during your time with us! We have undergone many changes the past few years and we look forward to continuing to better our Hampton by using your feedback! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Ames!