“CB/MB”

Red Roof Inn Ames
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Ames
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is a nice hotel but nothing exceptional. Good for a short term stay. Location was good if you wanted to be near the Interstate, not so good if you wanted to be close to Iowa State University. Rooms and furnishings were very good. Service was fine. Food at breakfast was of uneven quality. Value (based on the pricing) was so- so. Pool was nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback about your time with us! We are always looking for ways to improve and we will take note on your comments! We have located your reservation, and we know you loved our omelets we had two of the four days you stayed with us! We placed a note on your Hilton Honors profile to ensure we have some made up for you during your next trip to the area. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I hate to leave bad hotel reviews.

I will say that it wasn't a horrible stay. I only stayed here in the first place, however, because I needed to stay in Ames and my normal hotel was not available. So, I gave this place a shot because it was the only one left.

It was clean. Bed was comfortable. I loved the office chair. I am so happy this is one of those hotels that are starting to catch on and putting easily accessible outlets and charging stations bedside and at the workstation desk.

The whirlpool was pretty solid however one of the nobs was broke, and the area where the waterfalls down was fragile, as in, fell apart if you accidentally nudged it. The controls to turn it on require you to completely exit and walk around the wall to turn it back on, if necessary. Little annoying, really, especially since the floors get pretty slippery when wet in the background.

I was wanting to watch something on my laptop, via HDMI. However, that was a complete pain to maneuver. I essentially gave up trying to do it the correct way, and plugged my cable into where the HDMI1 slot was pulling the HD TV from.

Speaking of HDTV, this was the best TV in a hotel room I've had. That's not saying too much, but hopefully this catches on at other locations. Never got the supposed digital TV guide to work, though. That'd be a nice feature.

Internet was pitifully slow. It's time hotels get with the times and actually get some high speed Internet.

The room was fairly small for a king suite, however, I'm not overly concerned about that. I also did not see a refrigerator in the room. So, either it wasn't there, or so hidden I couldn't see it. I only stayed one night, but that's very annoying for long-term stays. For the highest available room at this facility, a refrigerator should be standard.

There was a TON of noise from some horribly bratty kids that literally occupied all of the rooms surrounding me. They spent most of the day/night jumping from room to room and generally being obnoxious in the hallways. Thankfully (sarcasm) their parents were absolutely not the least bit concerned, nor was the hotel management who, just about 20 doors down the hall, definitely was hearing the commotion.

About 20 minutes after checking in, the front desk called my room to make sure everything was going OK. I feel like a rude person to complain about this, but I was a reporter, trying to file a story before deadline. And it messed up my focus and really nothing was accomplished by it.

Overall, I felt the room was overpriced. I normally stay at a much nicer hotel, for less than I paid for one night here. This is a solid and clean hotel. But you can easily find that around the area for much less per night.

I probably won't stay again. I travel to Ames just once a year, normally. Next time if my normal spot is not available, I'll stay outside of Ames most likely.

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor and had a lot of noise from above and some bratty kids next door. I woul...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you your very detailed feedback about your past stay with us in one of our whirlpool suites! We would have loved for you to bring up your concerns prior to check out or right after your arrival so we could have better assisted you! We do have microwaves and mini fridges in the guest rooms, right under your TV, and we do have multiple HDMI inputs to our TV's as well! We are glad to hear you did enjoy our new cable line up we just put in our guest rooms about a month ago! We have located your reservation, and next time you stay with us we will put you on a high floor to help avoid some of the noise issues you had during your time with us. If there is anything else we can do for you please feel free to reach out to me!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Had to find a place with HH points for a family funeral and this was the closest place. This is an older site and furniture needs updating and room had a dry stale smell that was tolerable. Hard to find off the highway with the GPS taking you some where else. I travel 100 nights a year and this would not be a repeat place to go, but acceptable for family needs we had.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your review about our Hampton! We are glad we met your needs for a one night quick trip to the area. We are sad to hear that you might not join us again the next time your travels come to the area. I would love to hear in more detail what we could have done to really wow you as a guest to ensure your continued loyalty! You mentioned a few things that we did drop the ball on, and we are going to work with our team to ensure we correct these! We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is not up to the standard we've come to expect from Hampton. The rooms are smaller, the furniture is cheaper. The pool area is very small,it felt like you were in a fish bowl, No outside area at all. The window in our room was glued shut because it was broken. The glass fell almost into my chest. But the staff was super. They did everything to make our stay as good as it could be. They were great! Very nice. Went above and beyond! They get a 10

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback about your past stay with us! We are very sorry about the issue you had with your window. We are in the process of working with a local window repair company to repair the window in your guest room! We are glad our team made your stay more enjoyable! We are very excited to let our guests know we are building a brand new Hampton Inn and Suites set to open next year. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

They let us check out late and the breakfast was excellent. My daughter loved the pool. No hot tub so the chlorine was not strong smelling nor did it make her eyes irritated. Very friendly staff and very accommodating. Pleasantly surprised!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your past stay with us! Families love our indoor heated pool, and our maintenance team does a great job with the upkeep of it! We are glad we were able to assist you with your late check out and are glad to hear you enjoyed our breakfast! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We like staying at Hampton Inns. The person at the front desk told me that they are building a new one across the highway, so this one will be sold. The only problem we had was our fridge was working, but we just used ice instead since we weren't spending much time in the room. Great breakfast!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for your kind review about your stay with us! We have fixed the mini fridge that was in your room and we are sorry we didn't catch the issue prior to checking in! We are thrilled to share the news with you about our new Hampton Inn and Suites being built. We are planning to have it open sometime in quarter 3 of 2015! Be sure to visit us on Facebook to keep up with all the updates! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Just stayed at this hotel for one night after been driving for 6 hours and had a wonderful night of sleep. The customer service is impressive from the date I made the reservation thru my departure. Very friendly and courteous staff. Check in was fast and check out is just a matter of turn-in the room key cards. The breakfast was very good; the coffee was the best I had in long time. Definitely will recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

We think your review is "excellent in every way"! You covered all the important travel points and we appreciate the kind words about your stay. Thank you for being our Guest - we hope to see you again soon, even if you are just traveling through town and want to grab a quick cup of our fresh coffee for the road!