“A little pricey but good”
Review of Ranallo's On 3rd - CLOSED

Ranallo's On 3rd
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Des Moines, Iowa
“A little pricey but good”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We were given a gift card for this place and decided to go on our wedding anniversary. We were impressed with the atmosphere, staff and the food. It is a bit pricey but we will probably only use it for special occasions. We don't recommend this as a child friendly place. The wines we had were excellent.

USA
“Special occasion only due to price”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This is one of those places that my wife and I use on a special occasion such as a wedding anniversary. The service is usually quite good. The food is excellent although as others have noted a bit overpriced. I will give the bartender an A+ for his Southern Comfort Old Fashions. They are the best that I have found in the Des Moines metro area.

• Visited June 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
“Good food but a bit overpriced”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The service was average and the food was good. The menu is a bit overpriced. We took friends from out of town. Not sure we will go back.

Staff needs to be more outgoing and friendly.

Ames, Iowa
“Multiple visits”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I first came upon this restarurant by accident. Sat in the bar had drinks aps and a great time. Took my wife again good but not as good as before. Took 17 people for dinner from work after a meeting. One waiter for 17 people, ordered wine and they were out of a specific kind. Slow service. Went last last Tuesday night, sat in bar, bad service, watched the bartender, cook and a waiter do three shots together. Female bartender was not very good. Other people in the bar made comments about the help drinking. I drive 30 miles to go there. To bad it couldn't last. Not going anymore.

Ankeny, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WOW!!”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

So my wife and I had heard so much from friends about Ranallo's but just had not had a chance to make it in. We had NO idea what we were missing. We were greeted as we walked into the lobby by the bartender who asked us if we would like the bar or the main restaurant, we chose the main restaurant wanting the "date night" experience. Our waitress was friendly and knew the menu well and was able to help us pick out some of the restaurants specialties. My wife and I enjoyed a bottle of pinot noir that the waitress recommended and it was Delicious and reasonably priced. We started with an appetizer, the calamari, which was perfectly cooked and the thai chili sauce was a nice combination of spicy sweet. Now for the entrees I ordered the 8 oz. beef tenderloin with deburgo sauce medium rare, my wife ordered the large sea scallops that she had heard so much about. The fresh bread came to our table with our salads with Ranallo's signature creamy parmesean dressing and they were both excellent. a short while later our entrees came out, my steak was cooked to perfection a perfect medium rare, the mix of regular potatoes with sweet potatoes in the augratins was a refreshing change. My wife's scallops were also cooked perfectly I really enjoyed the few tastes she allowed me to have. I must say we were very happy with our overall experience at Ranallo's and will definitely recommend it to friends, we wish we would have listened and got there sooner!! Cheers!!

Visited March 2013