“Dirty, not at all helpful” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Super 8 Ankeny/Des Moines Area

Super 8 Ankeny/Des Moines Area
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Ankeny
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Dirty, not at all helpful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We booked through Priceline and the person working at the desk(who said she was the manager) said she could not give us another room as it had been assigned by Priceline. They don't assign a ROOM NUMBER at any hotel but we got no where with her. The room smelled, the handicapped seat in the shower had mildew as did the grout in the shower. The refrig was making a loud buzzing sound. We left in disgust and stayed and PAID for another hotel. Priceline would refund us $30 and said the hotel set that amount. The "manager" claimed it was Priceline that would not refund the full amount. So they collected all that room tax when we didn't use the room. Isn't that fraud?

Room Tip: Pool was also closed. I would stay away from this place
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RunBuster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Ottumwa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife, daughter, and I stayed here in April 2012 for a softball tournament. We stay at lots of various hotels, etc. when on the road doing these events. The team chose this hotel for its price, pool, and free breakfast. I will cut to it and say DO NOT STAY HERE! The rooms were dirty, smelled bad, breakfast was bad and unclean, pool didn’t work, fire alarm went off at 6 am for 10 minutes, towels were thin as toilet paper, bedspreads were old and had cigarette holes). Our room was cheap, but we wouldn’t stay here again if it was free (and I consider myself a frugal guy!). Wow, our impression of Super 8 has gone to the NEVER AGAIN category! Heed the warning!

Room Tip: Keep away from the whole place!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Chris B

Travellers are raving about these Ankeny hotels

Mountain Lake, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We have stayed here as a family in order to go to the World Pork Expo held every June at the Iowa State Fairgrounds. The hotel is okay, but they really need to work on keeping a clean, orderly business. The pool area had construction and was not clean, but useable. There were ripped water noodles on the floor. The breakfast was decent. The following year we chose to stay at the new Holiday Inn Express across the interstate. It did cost more, but it felt cleaner and was more organized.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MomofSix94
Clinton, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

Room card machine was down, clerk had to escort us to room and let us in, pool was out of order, there were dirty socks and a dirty toothbrush left on floor from previous guest. Room had not been vacuumed it was visibly filthy. There were BOOGERS smeared on wall by bed and in bathroom. They did give a discount of $20 but it should have been free. If it wouldn't have been so late we would have packed back up and tried to find another hotel. It was disgusting and over powering smell of Lysol, everywhere.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jennifer K
Duluth, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

When you first walk in the Lobby and breakfast area are very nice. When you round the corner to go to your room, notice the dust and crust around the edges of the carpet. DIRTY!! There was only one other car in the parking lot on a New Years Eve. That should have told us something.. Anyway, we got checked in a room. She gave us a room that faced the wall off the pool building.. She switched us after complaining. The next room had white putty or something to repair a hole on the door. The carpet was DIRTY. The bathroom was small, towels paper thin and water that went from hot to cold. The matteresses appeared to be newer, but it was like sleeping on a board. I didn't want to stay there so I asked if I could use the computer to find another hotel. Guess what? There was no internet as advertised.. Our grand daughters used the pool, but it was dirty and the water was so cloudy you couldn't see the bottom of the pool. The breakfast was OK.. I would never recomend this hotel to anyone, ever.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Scoobydoo43018
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

We travel a lot and this hotel was truly our favorite. The front desk host was helpful above and beyond the call of duty, she really impressed us. The room itself was clean, comfortable, spacious and luxurious. The hot tub was better than any other we have encountered. There are great restaurants within walking distance too.

• Stayed September 2010
Merrill, iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights and when we got our credit card bill we were charged for a third night. I've contacted their bookkeeper several times now and she continually gives me the run around about my bill. I even sent her my c.card statement via email to their email address on their statement and she says she does not get it. She's even told me she does not have record of my extra charges. I'm still waiting to get it resolved. From now on I'll give them a check! Bruce

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple