“Self certified 5 star! No way!”
Review of El Aurassi Hotel

El Aurassi Hotel
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Algiers
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

I would love to know who gave this hotel 5 stars. Don't get me wrong it's a lovely hotel that has recently been modernised to a very good standard,which I would easily give it 4 stars. But what lets this hotel down is the staff, if your not French speaking they look at you in disgust even when you try. Front of house staff are very unprofessional and are on mobile chatting whilst you wait to be severed, the coffee shop on the main floor D being the worst. The porters are really good and alway want to help, sham the rest of the staff aren't.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen S

Reviewed 4 October 2013

First of all, I really cannot understand the bad reviews from others since I don't what they expect...
Anyways, I flew out of Dubai for a 3 nights escape to catch up with my wife in El Aurassi and despite minor challenges, all went perfect!
I was in room 927 (top floor) with the usual breathtaking view of Algiers.
I spent also an entire day at the pool which is awesome with a 5 meters depth!
For the deposit, you may choose the option "No Post" which means that you'll settle on the spot any consumption.
Finally, it's by far the best in Algiers compared with the others such as the Sheraton which is way too old now as well as very far, or Hilton or Sofitel...
I advise to prepay your booking online to avoid hassle of method of payment.

Room Tip: Ask always for the last floor (9th) and the sea view rooms at the end of the corridor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BenicioDelToro77
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Businessman with a lot of travel experience writing these.

This is the first time I had to write a comment about o hotel, so people had to know about my experience...
Already stayed there 3 different occasions (I had to) and 8 nights all together.
You cannot bring any food or beverage from outside. Even you put them in your bag, they scan everything on x-ray machine. Security(!)
Tap water is not drinkable so there goes euros for bottle of waters.
In my last stay I was asked to pay 75000 dinar (750€) in advance to stay 2 nights, even though it was now my fourth time (I had to) in the hotel and paid a lot of money so far myself and company employees. My colleague was also asked to pay deposit.
Deposit means for them, full payment of the stay and expenses that you "may" make.
Deposit applied randomly, so you may be the lucky one.
Breakfast is not included, and you have to pay 25€ for just for breads, coffee, overcooked eggs and cheeses.
Restaurants open at 7 PM, do not get hungry before 7PM.
People at the reception "acts" like they can understand english but they definitely cannot.
They look at your face and speak in "french" with attitude (they are not even french, ı do not understand the attitude part)
Hospitality is 50 years behind from any other hotel in the world.
Rules are changed and applied based on the employees decision.
I know book for any other hotel now. better location better place, better hospitality

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Hugo H
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Colleagues and I have stayed at Sheraton Club Des Pins, Staoueli and the IBIS and Grand Mercure near the airport. Our party were obliged to move out of these others because they were full. I told everyone that I was booked in at the Aurassi and only found out I had no reservation when I attempted to check in. One of my colleagues had made a last minute online booking which the hotel honored and extended to two more guests at the same cheap rate.

Not only was this welcome, but the front desk staff were friendly, helpful and sufficient in number to handle such situations. This absolutely does not apply to any other hotels I have stayed in in Algeria! Better than that our rate was cheaper than the Grande Mercure and over 150 euros per night cheaper than the Sofitel where I should have showed up and whose website allowed me to cancel my reservation without charge.

For view, amenity and central old town location the Aurassi is fantastic. For exactly the same reasons it is not ideally located with long traffic jammed rides to anywhere becoming a part of our stay.

Unlike any of the other hotels mentioned, the Aurassi is modern, hi-spec, and actually approaches the stars it boasts. Food and drink in the casual bar was as extortionate as any of the other hotels but we did not care. There are stores and kebab shops in walking distance, so we generally ate elsewhere and did not try the highly rated restaurant.

Decent air conditioning, in room broadband, very nice rooms (even the ones at the back have a sea view), private balconies - this hotel is apparently where government and civil service people stay. I can see why. My stay was back in May/June and it is Sept as I write. I cannot quite recall but I am not sure if there was wireless broadband throughout the hotel.

Part of my delight at staying here was that our lowered expectations for hotels in Algeria did not apply here. When I went back to GM it was to a sagging bed, broken bath plug and insufficient a.c. but the location, regrettably, dominates when the workplace is more easily accessible.

Room Tip: all rooms have a sea view - even the cheaper ones at the back; it is not the over the harbour view b...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank lipeshends
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Attended a conference there together with my colleagues from abroad.Very big halls, good multimedia equipment.
Rooms were very spacious, each with a nice balcony overlooks the city.
Staff were very kind and helpful. Food in general was tasty. Too much of cakes and western style desserts, would have loved trying real authentic Algerian cuisine.

The hotel is very huge.Ample car parking is available. Have not tried the swimming pool.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank nader y
Reviewed 3 August 2013

it's an excellent hotel, fully renovated, near the city center.the rooms are very good with a nice decoration. They have a nice swimming pool and the stuff is very friendly, free wifi, a variety of tv channels. it is better to book a room with a sea view even if it's more expensive.
beware, in ramadan almost all the restaurants are closed. food is not that good and is very expensive.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank bobbogaz
Reviewed 9 July 2013

A nice surprise because I had read so many bad reviews of hotels in Algiers and so I was really expecting the worst. We arrived early evening after a long transatlantic flight and a long stop over in Paris so was looking forward to a nice room and a good bed. The check in was swift, professional and very warm; we got a fantastic room -with a great view on Algiers' harbour, the whole city, the Mediterranean sea and the mountains far away... Stunning! Room was nicely decorated in a modern style, new, spacious. Not a lot of amenities (no coffee maker, of course no mini bar, no wifi, no ice cubes etc) but that did not really bother us as we are used to more European/Asian hotels which generally do not have the standard north american amenities. All the personnel speaks great French. While service can be slow in the restaurants, if one speaks a bit of French and makes the effort, I found that service could be very warm and waiters were more than willing to give you extra helpings of soup, talk very pleasantly -and even be very funny and helpful to my young daughter. All personnel greets you very warmly in corridors. There is a choice of restaurants; we liked the Algerian one -personally because they serve a great Chorba Frick soup-. There is also a good swimming pool but the choice of shops in the hotel is limited although there is a bank -useful given the difficulty of getting access to an ATM which will accept our cards in the city!- and also a newly opened bookstore.with a good range of various books including art and history ones on Algiers and Algeria. The hotel is not very close to central Algiers but is still within walking distance (easier on way down than on way up!) and the concierge can help arrange for guides to the city. Again, had very good service at the Concierge.
Price is high but overall had good experience and would return if I planned to return to Algiers. Just by way of quick comparison: we went to the hotel formerly known as the St George -an old Turkish palace with great gardens- for a quick lunch and look around and were very glad we stayed at the Al Aurassi: there prices were much higher and service was borderline contemptuous.
Also: one hears and reads a lot about the potential/actual danger in Algiers; in the 4 days we were there we had nothing but kindness and a warm welcome (that in spite of being a "pied noir"!). The city has great architecture, wonderful old palaces that are being renovated, parks, steet life etc.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view on Algiers port are stunning -worth the premium
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family