“Where is the beach?”

Ranked #17 of 77 Hotels in Agadir
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Where is the beach?”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Arrived late evening at Riad Villa Blanche to a warm welcome from Khalil, a pleasant English speaking young man.My suite was excellent,nicely furnished ,spacious with large balcony.Come the morning I discovered that the hotel was nowhere near any beach,yes you could view the sea in the distance but getting to the beach involved either a very long walk or ten minute taxi ride.The hotel is in a residental area and there are no other restaurants,bars within walking distance.I have a walking disability and my choice of hotel was taken on the information shown on various web sites,so you imagine my annoyance.It is totally unaceptable for any site to give such misleading information regarding a hotels location.Riad Villa Blanche own web site says the hotel is situated a few metres from Agadirs magnificent sandy beach.This is just a shameful lie.When I mentioned this to the managers,it was suggested that this 'error' was a French thing,and that they didn't seem to mind.There was no apology or suggestion of room rate reduction.Surely the cost of accomodation is partly reflected in the location?The Villa Blanche is expensive and I consider this 'error' is just a cover up for a good old fashioned con.So back to the hotel.It is certainly very nice and has good facilities,the staff are friendly and helpful,but be warned there is very little English spoken and that can be a real barrier.Ordering a breakfast can be a challenge and at just about £12.00 for whatever you have,you need to get it right.It was just not possible to get English breakfast tea or hot toast.Obviously no proper cooked breakfast! They just did not understand.The restaurant is very French,a limited menu and again very expensive.In the evenings the hotel is lit by hundreds of small candles,which is all very romantic and pretty,however not very practical as in the bar and restaurant it was almost impossible to read menus or see what you were eating.Combined with allowing smoking almost everywhere I might suggest a bit of a fire risk!So to sum up,a nice hotel,friendy helpful staff,dreadful location and expensive,and very French.Agadir is ok and when you do find the beach,thats not bad either.Will not go back there and would not reccommend.Thats all folks,Shaun Blake.

Location
Sleep Quality
Rooms
Cleanliness

Room Tip: At these rates all rooms should be good!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank Kunastravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Arabic first
Colchester
Reviewed 22 October 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights after trekking in the Atlas mountains.
We found it to be a great hotel with beautiful rooms, nice pool area and good bar / restaurant. The spa was also lovely.
Great service throughout with welcome drinks, and beds turned down every night.
Only downside was location and a good 40 minute walk from centre of town.
Would recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luke B
London
Reviewed 6 October 2011

My wife and I checked in to the Riad Villa Blanche 30th September after spending four days at the dismal Riu Tikida Dunas. What a contrast!! The hotel is stunningly beautiful, immaculately clean, with levels of comfort and service you’d expect from a 4* plus establishment.

On arrival, we were shown to the bar for a complimentary champagne cocktail whilst our check-in was processed before being shown to our room – our luggage was already there.

Our large room was well appointed with an eclectic mix quality furniture and a large comfortable double bed dressed with Egyptian cotton bedding. The bathroom was a spacious stone and marble clad affair with separate WC and walk-in shower, and a nice selection of complimentary grooming products. We had a huge balcony with wicker chairs and table and a pair of sun beds laid out with fresh beach towels and straw sun hats. Plenty of candles in the room for those romantics amongst us.

Dining was a lovely experience – great dinner menu, beautifully prepared, presented and served. Nice selection of not-too-expensive wines. Breakfast was not included and was £14 per person, but what a breakfast! Lots of small courses served by the very attentive staff. Lunch menu was a bit limited, but we did enjoy Panini’s by the pool.

The bar is well supplied and drinks were reasonably priced. All cocktails are made to order (unlike the RTD!) There’s a nice selection of seating areas inside, outside and within the courtyard, so nowhere ever feels cramped.

The Spa too is a must. One overcast morning, my wife and I made good use of the facilities – I had the Hamman Scrub and she opted for a massage, both of which were first class.

If your looking for comfort, attention to detail, good food and great service, this is the place to come!

I’ll be back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Des_Munn
Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Just returned from a week at The Riad Villa Blanche-perfect surroundings for adults to unwind and relax. Would not recommend it for children and teenagers as there isn't much to do in the hotel or neighbouring area- but a real chill out for my husband and I.
The suite was impeccably clean as was the whole hotel and very well maintained. The terrace for room 207 was amazing with a real log fire which was lit at our request most evenings. The only problem was running a bath as it took about an hour to fill as the bath taps did not work and the only way of filling it was by using the shower hose- we did report this on the first night but nothing was done about it.
We only ate dinner once in the restaurant as the food was not to our liking and there was no english translation so we found it difficult to make a wise choice when ordering. At this point I'd highly recommend eating at the Sofitel which is a five minute walk away -it's buffet style with a huge choice of lovely food for approx £30 pp- not including drinks. To eat at the Riad is even more expensive with a fraction of the amount of food and drink prices are very steep too.
I feel I need to mention the very limited room service menu which is only available once the restaurant is shut at 10.30 pm and along with the mini bar, prices are rather expensive( eg £10 for miniature bottle of vodka and £4 can of coke).
My final gripe is the very hard and uncomfortable sun beds -( although it was lovely being supplied with a clean beach towel and straw sun hat every day) a couple of hours laying on them was more than enough.
I would like to finish on a positive note- the standard of the rooms and upkeep of the hotel was second to none and it was the most peaceful and relaxing holiday I've ever had.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lorraine G
Belgium
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Just returned from staying 3 nights in Riad Villa Blanche.
I booked this hotel for our business trip because I did not want to stay in a huge beach resort.

This Riad has 28 rooms and is in fact more of a small hotel but it does feel like you're staying in a friend's villa with a lot of butlers to tend to every need.

We had a welcome drink in the bar while the check-in procedure was done for us.
We booked a standard room (tradition) and got a room on the 3rd floor. Nice, big and airy rooms: big double bed with good mattress, hard pillows, bedside table and lamp on each side, cosy sofa, chair, pouffe, enough closet space with electronic safe and minibar, WC and bidet separate. Nice bathroom with bath and separate (rain)shower and double bassin, big towels.
The room is indeed decorated in a combination of traditional and contemporary artwork.
Big balcony with 2 chairs and table, not much view; trees and roadside but there is not much traffic passing and I spent a few relaxing hours there out of view.

Breakfast is served on the table; fresh orange or grapefruit juice, coffee or tea, fresh baked croissants or chocolate rolls, 3 types of pancakes (2 typical Moroccan and 1 European style), eggs the way you like - soft boiled eggs comes with ready cut soldiers, too many different little pieces of cake.
I took a plate with the cake pieces back to the room as it's impossible to eat it all and it's a pity not to eat it...

We didn't try the Spa but should have according to friends who did.

Restaurant: the food is absolutely amazing thanks to the French chef who serves fusion food, French cuisine combined with Moroccan. Reasonably priced too: expect to pay 450 DHS for a Moroccan Menu (amuse bouche, starter, main, dessert). Not big portions but very tasty and even my husband left the table without going hungery.
When I asked for a small change in the menu it was no problem at all to adapt it to my wish.

The beach is a 10-minute walk away and the Riad has a nice swimming pool with lounger chairs and parasols. Towels and even a straw hat are provided!

Towels and bathmats are replaced 2x daily, which is not really eco-friendly. Personally I do not mind reusing a towel twice so maybe putting up a little note as in many hotels is done nowadays to save water and our earth might be appropriate and it still leaves clients the choice of having their bathlinnen changed after each use.

Attentive staff, smiles, loungy music and easy going attitude: it makes this place a perfect hideaway!

Children and pets are allowed but I do not recommend bringing them to this hotel; there are no facilities to really please them.

Our next visit to Agadir will definitely include a stay in Riad Villa Blanche again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank DesertroseBe
Reviewed 19 September 2011

A simply stunning riad! Fantastic and with staff that look after every little detail to make your stay out of this world. I have never staid in a nicer place with more focus on you. Not even in 5-6 star hotels. I especially loved that they went into ur room at night fall and lit all the candles, so romantic!
Choose this riad if you want a bit of paradise. Trust me you won't feel like leaving the riad while you're there.

• Stayed June 2011
London
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We stayed at the Riad Villa Blanche for 5 nights in September 2011. We had a great stay at this beautiful boutique hotel which surpassed our expectations. The decor throughout the hotel was beautiful and the rooms were equally as impressive and larger than expected.

The staff were excellent and helped in creating a friendly and relaxed ambience. Perhaps the only room for improvement in hospitality would be the staff having a bit more knowledge about day trips in and around Agadir (e.g. to Souss Massa national park etc). However in fairness to them they were more than happy to call local taxi firms and source knowledge elsewhere for us.

The highlight of our stay was dinner at the Riad's restaurant, the food (mainly French cuisine) is excellent and this is evident by the number of external visitors to the hotel coming to dine.

Overall an excellent hotel which appeals to those who prefer a more relaxed, less generic environment to the big hotel chains. Rightfully number 1 on trip advisor!

n.b - for those arriving to the hotel by grand taxi, they may not know the hotel location so direct them to the Robinson resort.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple