“Terrible Hotel.. why #1?????????????? AVOID!!”
Review of Riad Villa Blanche

Riad Villa Blanche
Ranked #15 of 77 Hotels in Agadir
“Terrible Hotel.. why #1?????????????? AVOID!!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with my wife.

My wife is Muslim and it was the month of Ramadan, so being breakfast was included within my tariff i simply asked if she could have her's as her Sohor(Ramadan breakfast at 3am), they said it wouldnt be a problem and what would she want? I told them just to give us the simple things included in the breakfast(Pancakes, Bread, Toast, Marmalade, Cheese, Tea, Coffee, etc)

The first day the breakfast arrived.. there was no cheese, no pancakes, no toast, just simply a bowl of fruit and some croissants. I immediately complained as my wife would be having only this to eat for the next 18 hours and it wouldn't even fill up a dog's stomach.

They said the next day they will issue us some cheese with the breakfast and some pancakes, yoghurt, etc.

next day came.. No pancakes, No yoghurt, No jam and no marmalade or even honey or butter!!! - In other words, we got less than the previous night.

Oh and we got a couple of pieces of 1 Dirham cheese (la vas quile?) the cheapest possible cheese on the island. They couldnt even give us some Brie or Stilton or Cheddar just crappy paste cheese spread which you give to 5 year olds to school.

Terrible Terrible Terrible. Worst hotel so far i have expierienced in Agadir and it is no way a 5 star hotel. I previously stayed at the Sofitel Agadir Thallasa & Spa (opposite here) and it is 100 times better, has its own private beach and i would recommend this to anyone.

I treated me and the wife to the Spa to get a Hammam, Massage and Shave done, the hammam was not a hammam - no steam was involved at all, the massage was mediocre and not to mention the SHAVE!! I complained to the reception staff when i had my shave as my face was covered in blood and they insisted it was my sensitive skin when i live in morocco and always have Moroccan shaves at barbers.. so no, it wasn't my damn skin it was your stupid inexperienced trained staff.

Never will i return and never will i recommend this hotel to anyone.

Think it's best i go check-out now as i was told if it's late i will get charged 500DH!

As stated, If you are new to agadir and like a nice hotel and to be pampered and have private pool/beach access i suggest Sofitel Agadir Thallasa & Spa, And avoid this like the plague.

(Oh the wifi didnt work in my room.. had to go near the door to access the internet a they have 1 router in the whole hotel for guests (ALFA Router)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Richard D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Arabic first
Paris, France
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I agree with most of what is in the recent reviews, good and less so, but on balance I would return to the Villa Blanche if going to Agadir again, unless I absolutely required to be in a hotel with direct beach access. The hotel is indeed beautiful and we had the best meal of our Moroccan tour in its classy restaurant (fine wine list too). They use vegetables from a very special organic farm about three hours south, and it was a treat to have goat cheese and organic lettuce at breakfast to offset all the sweet dishes that kept coming and coming. We ate breakfast in the garden, very intelligently coffee came in a thermos - good thing, as it was hard to get the waiter's attention when we wanted more hot water for tea.

We paid extra for a sea view room, and although we could see (a corner of) the ocean from our balcony, it is far enough that you don't hear waves lapping or wind coming off the ocean. The balcony gave onto a side entrance where some employees came and went, but they were not too noisy and it was not at night.
The room was light, well appointed and quite large enough. Bed was fabulous. Our friends had a ground-floor double that was huge, nicely decorated but very dark.
I did swim in the outdoor pool mentioned by one reviewer - agree that it was a bit strange, as it seems algae had accumulated on the side walls and the water looked green, but we were assured it had been cleaned recently. The pool area was very relaxing except for the smokers. We also tried the spa, which is in the basement and indeed has a tomblike feeling if you are in that kind of mood, which we were not. Jacuzzi was nice and there are chaises longues everywhere. I also swam in the spa pool, which was about the same temperature as the outdoor one (I estimate 27 or 28 Celsius).
Service was good, there were employees posted at strategic locations to help you when you got lost, which I did rather often because things are spread over four levels.
I agree that the ubiquitous candles may be a little OTT. The decor in general is sumptuous, but I wondered who ever used all those tables and chairs in every corner and courtyard.
This French-managed hotel is classy all the way.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karol_Paris
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

A beautiful hotel, with very attentive & friendly staff. We stayed here for a week at the start of May. There were a few conflicting reviews of this place so heres my take on it:

The pool: It is a swimming pool (which does have steps) & was used daily by myself & most of the other customers. It was cleaned every morning & throughout the day. It's not heated, like most outdoor pools which is just what I expected.

The hotel: Just couldnt stop taking pictures of how beautiful this place is. It's lit by candles at night & is a little dark but that just makes it very relaxing & calm. It smells lovely too. All the time.
Breakfast is masssive & lots of sweet pastries etc. You get used to it, & we missed it when we left

The beach: Is about a 5 minutes walk from the hotel, just down the road & between two other hotels is the start of the promenade. The beach is always being cleaned & we loved it. Villa Blanche don't have their own private bit of the beach but other areas can be used for between 30 - 100 dirhams for the day.

The restaurants:
There are no restaurants close to the hotel (the hotel food is some of the best we've had in Agadir) but taxis are cheap. Its a 45 min walk to the marina which has great restaurants (particularly Le Quay) there are loads on the way but I would say its a 30 min walk to the closest restaurant.

Taxis:
Taxis are everywhere & a trip to the marina will vary but we paid around 40 dirhams each way (around £3)

Hope this is helpful.
We loved this place!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank TimJamesGraham
London
Reviewed 27 April 2014

O.K, I am not going to go on and on about how beautiful this hotel is .... well, it is, but to be honest, a bit over the top and too pretentious for my liking. I loved our bedroom, liked the sea view which I was not expecting, thought breakfast was incredible (again, a bit OTT, but brilliant) and the staff faultless. Here comes the "but" .... BUT, I don't "get" the "swimming pool". When we arrived, we were told that the water was at about 17/18 degrees celsius, which is a bit nippy! Actually, it does not matter, as this is not a proper swimming pool: there are no ladder or steps to get in and the surface looks rough and a bit grotty. But it's not a decorative pool either: there are no pretty fish or water lilies or water effect.... so, what is it? Sorry, but I don't get it. I would like to know whether any customers have actually swam in it. Next in my "but" list: the candles. I like candles, but I do think that you CAN have too many of them and this hotel does. They are all scented as well, which can be overpowering. The inside of the hotel in the evening looked like a tomb.... And I thought that the spa looked a bit like a crypt, dark and quiet, lit by candles with white ghosts (customers in white towelling robes) roaming eerily through it ... spooky!
Next thing on my list: the location. On the hotel website, it says that it's conveniently located for local shops, restaurants and cafes. This is rubbish. The hotel is 6 kms away from the main restaurant area ... I know, we walked it! It actually is a nice walk along the beach, but a bit much as a return journey. So be prepared to have to fork out a few taxi fares, which varied from 15 to 70 dirhams for the same journey (yes, you have to barter...).
Last thing on my list: given the standard (i.e. price) of the hotel, I do think that they should have some sort of agreement with one of the deck chairs providers on the beach or share the Sofitel beach (which was empty), or something ....
Anyway, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy my 4 nights there and it is a beautiful place!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jojo50London
Hayfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel based on reviews given on Trip Adviser.
We were not disappointed. It was everything we hoped it would be and more. A small (28 rooms) boutique hotel that ticked all the right boxes.
It is a beautiful modern Riad with efficient, lovely staff dedicated to providing first class service throughout.
Breakfast on the lawn by the pool was a pleasure not to be rushed! Days spent relaxing by the outdoor pool, visits to the Spa with its heated indoor pool and gym. Pre-dinner drinks in the plush bar before moving on to dinner in the small chic restaurant where excellent food and service made it a very enjoyable experience.
Attention to detail is evident everywhere. Lots of roses and in the evenings
candles are lit throughout the Riad creating a cosy intimate atmosphere. We stayed for three weeks and would vote this to be one of very best hotels we have stayed in. Nothing was too much trouble.
Every top class hotel needs a special person to complete the experience. Yassine, Thank You.
We look forward to returning.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Brian H
Torquay
Reviewed 4 April 2014

As others have stated, this hotel could be so much better, if only the service was improved. We stayed for seven nights in March, and at over £300 per night, I just expected more. The pool area was particularly disappointing, looking dirty and un-cared for. The room was OK, but again a bit tatty in places with missing lights, scuffed walls etc. The advertised English language TV channels were unavailable, air conditioning out of order, no table or chairs on the terrace, bottled water not replaced etc. etc. The hotel building itself does look very nice, but to me it's the service and attention to detail that make a good hotel, not a building.

A point to note is that the hotel is a long walk from the main centre/restaurants/bars and is located on what looks like a part finished residential street, with lots of building works etc. around it, after a few days, this became a pain.

All in all, disappointing for the price paid.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carsten F
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 30 March 2014

INCREDIBLE. AMAZING. UNREAL. CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK. This was the most beautiful riad we had seen all over Morocco. From the paintings to the statues to the crown moldings to the chairs to the lamps, to the rooms, this place had it all. Very very nice staff, incredible tasting food, and quite possibly the most unique hotel ive ever seen. It reminds me of the Versace Mansion in miami. Good bathroom/large jacuzzi/large bedroom/nice tv. Its really a fascinating place to stay. 1 min walk from beach. Breakfast is great around the pool.

The restaurant was the best we found in Agadir, we went twice.

Room Tip: We had the cheapest regular room and it was fantastic.