“It was the small things that stopped it being great!”
Review of Riad Villa Blanche

Riad Villa Blanche
Ranked #17 of 79 Hotels in Agadir
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Riad itself is lovely and the the food is fantastic !!! I will start with all the great stuff. We stayed in an Elegance room (room309) it was large and over looked the pool with a great sea view. The bed was very comfortable, and bathroom had bath with separate walk in shower room. The toiletries provided were also good quality. As we had the Sun from around 10am we tended to use the sunbeds on the balcony. We used the SPA and we're not disappointed we had 3hr treatment for couples which was magnificent. it started with a Hammam scrub, steam room, jacuzzi, full body wrap and finished with a 60 mim massage. 3000Dhr but worth it. The next point to note is the food is fantastic, the breakfast just goes on and on and you could be there all day with fresh juice and coffee on tap. Their is a wide selection of bread and pastries, choice of eggs, meat and cheese, smoothies, yogurts and Moroccan pancakes, you are not rushed so can really enjoy it. We had evening meal as we were Half Board and not disappointed. The Tagines were well presented, the selection of Fish dishes where superb and if you wanted meat then the beef Bordalaise was scrumptious. The staff in the restaurant and bar where really helpful but spoke very little English which at times was awkward.
Now the areas that they could improve on.
Provide free bottled water in your room, the Wifi was a nightmare all across the Riad, it was so slow and at certain times of the day did not work.... The front desk was useless, they could not communicate with us properly which thankfully I only used them at checkout which was an ordeal in itself due to not being able to settle bill with Amex. Visa worked fine....
There was some refurbishment works going on which started early 7:30am and went on late into the evening. One night they were still working till 12:30am.
Overall this is a great Riad with a great SPA that serves lovely food but was let done by some very basics mistakes.

Room Tip: Choose a high room we stayed in 309 it's was located at the rear of the Riad it looked out onto...
1  Thank awp66

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

It is my first time to do traditional hammam, it was amazing luxurious place.
The price was good compared with services offered 45€ for hammam, massage and hair cutting.
I recommend it for visitors coming to Agadir.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sheriozeid
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The first experience we had, was that the taxi driver appeared 30 minutes to late at the airport - most probably only, as we were calling 15 minutes after arrival at the hotel. The hotel is nicely located, if you look for a calm vacation, but all for sudden they started on the second day of our vacation with noisy repair works, starting at 9 and lasting until 4 o'clock in the afternoon. A request at the reception, how long that repair would take, was never answered and there was also no regret. The spa is ok, but massages are nearly twice as expensive as in the city. Finally our taxi ordered after check out (two days in advance) also arrived just with 30 minutes delay.

To make a long story short - it's a nice location, but the staff has no clue, how to run this kind of hotel right.

3  Thank ClaBW
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with my wife.

My wife is Muslim and it was the month of Ramadan, so being breakfast was included within my tariff i simply asked if she could have her's as her Sohor(Ramadan breakfast at 3am), they said it wouldnt be a problem and what would she want? I told them just to give us the simple things included in the breakfast(Pancakes, Bread, Toast, Marmalade, Cheese, Tea, Coffee, etc)

The first day the breakfast arrived.. there was no cheese, no pancakes, no toast, just simply a bowl of fruit and some croissants. I immediately complained as my wife would be having only this to eat for the next 18 hours and it wouldn't even fill up a dog's stomach.

They said the next day they will issue us some cheese with the breakfast and some pancakes, yoghurt, etc.

next day came.. No pancakes, No yoghurt, No jam and no marmalade or even honey or butter!!! - In other words, we got less than the previous night.

Oh and we got a couple of pieces of 1 Dirham cheese (la vas quile?) the cheapest possible cheese on the island. They couldnt even give us some Brie or Stilton or Cheddar just crappy paste cheese spread which you give to 5 year olds to school.

Terrible Terrible Terrible. Worst hotel so far i have expierienced in Agadir and it is no way a 5 star hotel. I previously stayed at the Sofitel Agadir Thallasa & Spa (opposite here) and it is 100 times better, has its own private beach and i would recommend this to anyone.

I treated me and the wife to the Spa to get a Hammam, Massage and Shave done, the hammam was not a hammam - no steam was involved at all, the massage was mediocre and not to mention the SHAVE!! I complained to the reception staff when i had my shave as my face was covered in blood and they insisted it was my sensitive skin when i live in morocco and always have Moroccan shaves at barbers.. so no, it wasn't my damn skin it was your stupid inexperienced trained staff.

Never will i return and never will i recommend this hotel to anyone.

Think it's best i go check-out now as i was told if it's late i will get charged 500DH!

As stated, If you are new to agadir and like a nice hotel and to be pampered and have private pool/beach access i suggest Sofitel Agadir Thallasa & Spa, And avoid this like the plague.

(Oh the wifi didnt work in my room.. had to go near the door to access the internet a they have 1 router in the whole hotel for guests (ALFA Router)

6  Thank Richard D
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I agree with most of what is in the recent reviews, good and less so, but on balance I would return to the Villa Blanche if going to Agadir again, unless I absolutely required to be in a hotel with direct beach access. The hotel is indeed beautiful and we had the best meal of our Moroccan tour in its classy restaurant (fine wine list too). They use vegetables from a very special organic farm about three hours south, and it was a treat to have goat cheese and organic lettuce at breakfast to offset all the sweet dishes that kept coming and coming. We ate breakfast in the garden, very intelligently coffee came in a thermos - good thing, as it was hard to get the waiter's attention when we wanted more hot water for tea.

We paid extra for a sea view room, and although we could see (a corner of) the ocean from our balcony, it is far enough that you don't hear waves lapping or wind coming off the ocean. The balcony gave onto a side entrance where some employees came and went, but they were not too noisy and it was not at night.
The room was light, well appointed and quite large enough. Bed was fabulous. Our friends had a ground-floor double that was huge, nicely decorated but very dark.
I did swim in the outdoor pool mentioned by one reviewer - agree that it was a bit strange, as it seems algae had accumulated on the side walls and the water looked green, but we were assured it had been cleaned recently. The pool area was very relaxing except for the smokers. We also tried the spa, which is in the basement and indeed has a tomblike feeling if you are in that kind of mood, which we were not. Jacuzzi was nice and there are chaises longues everywhere. I also swam in the spa pool, which was about the same temperature as the outdoor one (I estimate 27 or 28 Celsius).
Service was good, there were employees posted at strategic locations to help you when you got lost, which I did rather often because things are spread over four levels.
I agree that the ubiquitous candles may be a little OTT. The decor in general is sumptuous, but I wondered who ever used all those tables and chairs in every corner and courtyard.
This French-managed hotel is classy all the way.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karol_Paris
Reviewed 13 May 2014

A beautiful hotel, with very attentive & friendly staff. We stayed here for a week at the start of May. There were a few conflicting reviews of this place so heres my take on it:

The pool: It is a swimming pool (which does have steps) & was used daily by myself & most of the other customers. It was cleaned every morning & throughout the day. It's not heated, like most outdoor pools which is just what I expected.

The hotel: Just couldnt stop taking pictures of how beautiful this place is. It's lit by candles at night & is a little dark but that just makes it very relaxing & calm. It smells lovely too. All the time.
Breakfast is masssive & lots of sweet pastries etc. You get used to it, & we missed it when we left

The beach: Is about a 5 minutes walk from the hotel, just down the road & between two other hotels is the start of the promenade. The beach is always being cleaned & we loved it. Villa Blanche don't have their own private bit of the beach but other areas can be used for between 30 - 100 dirhams for the day.

The restaurants:
There are no restaurants close to the hotel (the hotel food is some of the best we've had in Agadir) but taxis are cheap. Its a 45 min walk to the marina which has great restaurants (particularly Le Quay) there are loads on the way but I would say its a 30 min walk to the closest restaurant.

Taxis:
Taxis are everywhere & a trip to the marina will vary but we paid around 40 dirhams each way (around £3)

Hope this is helpful.
We loved this place!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TimJamesGraham
Reviewed 27 April 2014

O.K, I am not going to go on and on about how beautiful this hotel is .... well, it is, but to be honest, a bit over the top and too pretentious for my liking. I loved our bedroom, liked the sea view which I was not expecting, thought breakfast was incredible (again, a bit OTT, but brilliant) and the staff faultless. Here comes the "but" .... BUT, I don't "get" the "swimming pool". When we arrived, we were told that the water was at about 17/18 degrees celsius, which is a bit nippy! Actually, it does not matter, as this is not a proper swimming pool: there are no ladder or steps to get in and the surface looks rough and a bit grotty. But it's not a decorative pool either: there are no pretty fish or water lilies or water effect.... so, what is it? Sorry, but I don't get it. I would like to know whether any customers have actually swam in it. Next in my "but" list: the candles. I like candles, but I do think that you CAN have too many of them and this hotel does. They are all scented as well, which can be overpowering. The inside of the hotel in the evening looked like a tomb.... And I thought that the spa looked a bit like a crypt, dark and quiet, lit by candles with white ghosts (customers in white towelling robes) roaming eerily through it ... spooky!
Next thing on my list: the location. On the hotel website, it says that it's conveniently located for local shops, restaurants and cafes. This is rubbish. The hotel is 6 kms away from the main restaurant area ... I know, we walked it! It actually is a nice walk along the beach, but a bit much as a return journey. So be prepared to have to fork out a few taxi fares, which varied from 15 to 70 dirhams for the same journey (yes, you have to barter...).
Last thing on my list: given the standard (i.e. price) of the hotel, I do think that they should have some sort of agreement with one of the deck chairs providers on the beach or share the Sofitel beach (which was empty), or something ....
Anyway, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy my 4 nights there and it is a beautiful place!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple