“Superb Hotel”

Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa
Ranked #7 of 79 Hotels in Agadir
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This is an excellent hotel. Stylish, calm with exceptional service from attentive and friendly staff. There are some excellent touches like the mini bar being restocked every day with free soft drinks and water. We were offered a choice of soft drinks to take with us 'for the journey' when leaving the hotel, which indicates the care they take of you.
The only disappointment, for us, was the Le Market restaurant where we experienced cold food and poor service. But I can only assume it was a bad night. Next door is the Sofitel Royal Bay which is more lively than the Thalassa which you might or might not like. The SoGood restaurant was exceptional and good value considering the quality.
The hotel is at the south end of the promenade which is quieter but a few kilometres from the 'centre' of town and the Marina. Taxi's are cheap. However the further away you wonder from the hotel the 'less sophisticated' if feels. But Agadir is a quality beach resort. It is very easy to spend the whole day at the Thalassa, and we would have loved to have stayed another week, a rare recommendation from us.

You do have to make sure you are understood as English is third language. We booked a trip to Taroudant at the hotel and asked for an English speaking guide. The guide spoke no English.

The stylish rooms come with a kettle. The bed is very, very, comfortable. The free Wi-Fi has to restarted on your device after 12 hours as it disconnects. Room service is ultra quick.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel and I truly liked it.

The hotel is nicely situated at the sea with a superb terrace and beautiful sea views. The rooms are well appointed but slightly on the small side and with indirect sea views. A complimentary mini bar with soft drinks is a nice gesture, but given the room price one shouldn't expects less.

All staff are very friendly and helpful. You really feel welcome at this place. Especially the night concierge is a lovely guy.

I only had dinner on Friday evening, and this was a buffet. Before entering the restaurant I thought I'd landed in a private function in the hallway but was quickly greeted by Mr. Raphael Mukarji who invited me to this weekly cocktail function they arrange for their guests. Mes compliments Mr. Mukarji, bien fait! You feel treated like a real guest.

The buffet was slightly disappointing. Starters consisted mainly of salads. My first bite in the fish fillet ended up with bones, so it was my last bite as well. The chicken however was boneless, as
was the fillet of beef and both nice. Both the rice and potatoe dish were bland. Desserts were plenty and I had an average piece of cake (which looked far better than it tasted) and a good pear tart. Some room for improvement here for the singing head chef. Prices of wine are quite hefty, but this is what you can expect. However, MAD 70,00 for a small glass of Moroccan white is steep. Breakfast buffet was very nice, especially while sitting outside. However, this to comes with a price.

One complaint though, the airconditioning in my room didn't function properly.

All in all this is a 5 star hotel with 5 star prices. However, I'll rate it 4 star for the time being, as there is room for improvements. But at the same I would love to come back and add the 5th star to my next experience

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LaurentPerrier
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I am a Platinum card with Sofitel and I was very disappointed with that one been just open.
It is something missing...Lost of details are not right, starting with the deluxe room quite small.
When I arrived in my room, I had fresh fruits who were not fresh but rotten!
The flower in the bathroom was dead and not change for 1 week. The furniture on the terrace is very basic(white plastic chair..)
The food is correct with a good choice on the buffet, staffs are very attentive and try the best for you, thalassotherapy is find but the staffs are trained here and not coming from professional school.
Overall I am not sure it's a five stars hotel but honestly if you go around and compare, this one is definitely the best in Agadir, so don't compare with any other five stars hotels in the world.
The best thing was the duo singing at the bar, Barbara and Kevin, I just will go back to the hotel to see them!
If I look the tripadvisor people putting a five stars, I can see than must of them are not traveling much.
And the price is not that chip for that level.
Lots to do in that hotel, so don't expect too much.

Room Tip: Don't be bother to pay more for sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank JerseyLB
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We initially booked the Royal Bay Resort, which was super disappointing and we therefore decided to move to the one next door. The hotel overall is much better than the Royal Bay but the service is terrible. The guest service barely picks up the phone when you call them and the concierge is not up to the standards for a 5 stars/luxury hotel. The commonly used excuse from both the staff of the Royal Bay and the Thalassa is that we are in the week of Eid so they are short on personnel... like this was our problem!!! Besides, we come from a country that celebrates this Muslim holiday, too and not once had we to face this ridiculously poor service. Overall, it just made us want to go back to Marrakech where we felt the value for the money we spent was much higher. I would not recommend Sofitel in Agadir and we will certainly not come back ever!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Laily_B
Reviewed 14 October 2013

After booking next door Sofitel Royal Bay Resort with Thomsons we were very very disappointed and moved to Sofitel Thalassa Sea and Spa Hotel next door. Fabulous hotel, excellent food in the restaurants and around the pool. Lovely pool area and service and private beach. The bedroom was good with an amazing shower and comfortable bed. Zara our cleaner was very efficient and polte.Another advantage was the mini bar was restocked every day with water and soft drinks free. Not much to do in Agadir but a beautiful beach and a great place to go for some sunshine before winter.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger C
Reviewed 9 October 2013

What an amazing place and hotel. The beach is right at your door step and the hotel restaurant serves amazing food. Great value for money. The spa and Hamama is an experience not to miss. Agadir is a lovely city offering great food, good night life, great shopping and so much to see and do.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra C
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here with my son last week. We stayed for 3 nights for a short break and it was just what we needed. The hotel is away from the hustle and bustle of the promenade and has a private beach with very comfortable beds that have cover for when it is too hot. It is much quieter and just what we were after. The whole hotel has a very luxurious feel. We were fortunate to be upgraded to a prestige suite which had the most amazing view of the sea from the massive terrace. The management at the hotel were exceptional, especially Bouttanya and Ousman. We felt very well looked after and had a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are so special
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family