“Relaxing Luxury”

Ranked #7 of 77 Hotels in Agadir
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Relaxing Luxury”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife and I just returned from our stay at this hotel on our "mini-moon". Due to email complications with guest services prior to our arrival we were upgraded to a deluxe sea view room which was very much appreciated. Sara the guest services manager also arranged for us to have VIP treatment as a gesture for us as newly-weds - this meant we had fruit and some pastries in our room on arrival. However I noticed that the service was quite good throughout the hotel from the moment we arrived. We got there quite late in the evening and Bouba the evening desk manager was very kind and attentive. We were treated to macarons and mint tea whilst we waited a short time for them to arrange our in room treats. They made flower arrangements on our bed and swan towels at the foot of our bed.
Falling into the bed was like being cuddled into a warm cloud and the duvet was like having another warm cloud drift over you and settle. This wore off after the strong smell of "dry cleaner" killed it after 2 days.
We didn't venture into Agadir and if I'm honest I wasn't really that bothered. I usually like venturing into new territory and exploring the local area on holiday but it wasn't that important for us on this break. Our main focus was to get spa treatments and enjoy the weather. We took a little walk off the resort where we were hounded by merchants trying to flog stuff and stared at by locals. My wife felt very unsettled so we stayed on the resort.
The food was a good standard at the hotel. Not Michelin, but expected of a 4/5* hotel. The food/drink prices are competitive with 5* European hotels so expect to pay in this range. The sunset from our room was beautiful and we were told only 7 of their rooms have a full undisturbed view so we felt privileged to have one.
Around the pool, the pool bar staff will attend to you. There are a lot of areas outside around the pool and I felt like their service was limited to the pool area just outside the restaurant. It felt like this was more out of their laziness than policy. They should tend to all the guests around the pool and not just the ones closest to the restaurant.
I prebooked the spa treatments after contacting the hotel before arrival. Laila who I chatted to prior to our arrival was very friendly and a joy to chat with. She arranged for our last treatments to be done together in our own private room. I also have to commend Fatima the Hammam lady. She looks after all who enter the hammam and her orange and mint cocktail is a refreshing welcome in the relaxation area after a steam. On the day of the hammam experience I was feeling quite tender. I pride myself on having an iron stomach having toured India for 6 months and getting ill one day. I'm not sure what it was (maybe too much sun) but something I ate at breakfast just wasn't agreeing with me. If you like your omelettes, I suggest getting them well cooked and avoid anything left out if you decide to go for breakfast at 10am.
I was really looking sheepish when we went for our spa treatment so Laila fixed me a herbal tea which tied me over till the evening.
My wife loved the constant stream of macarons from the bar staff and the seafood pasta from the main restaurant next door.
I have to say that the hotel was a bit of the dark side indoors and really needs an injection of light in the corridors. It was the same in the room. It just needs more light options for the evening in the room and more light in the hotel during the day.
All in all it was a good spa break at a luxury hotel with excellent service.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony, most rooms have sea view. 7 rooms have full ocean view. Ask for one of the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Always_5starAI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Probably best hotel in Agadir. I got to stay at one of their suites and found it quite pleasant. The decoration is done quite well (if you enjoy hip and modern hotels). Staff was friendly and helpful. Certainly worth a recommendation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Daniel K, Directeur général at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor about your stay at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found the service provided by our Ambassadors of a high quality.

On behalf of all of us, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Daniel KARBOWNIK
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This hotel may have been cool in 1990 but now its black and white and oversized decor is old, tired and even dirty. The hotel is in need of much maintenance. The furniture is broken, nicked and needing replacement. The outside has faded cabanas, bad towels, rusted railings and generally in need of some paint and new tile work everywhere.. The rooms are small and well worn. Overall the hotel is not worth the price and at best a 3 star with 5 star prices. Just tacky and dirty..

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank craigha155019
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa
on tripadvisor.

We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow us to express our sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important for us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Daniel KARBOWNIK
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

While Agadir itself was a bit of a dump, the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa was a piece of heaven.The hotel was the perfect place fo my friend and I (both away without husbands and kids) to relax, eat well and enjoy sunshine every day. The staff were always pleasant and very accommodating for my various food allergies. The spa was amazing and very advanced with an incredible, huge hot tub with fitness equipment in the water. There was a bevvy of heavenly treatments to choose from. The fitness centre was also loaded with modern equipment which we used every day. And water bottles and towels are on hand for you there as well.

Sick of having to deal with taxi drivers who took us on joy rides and argued with us about where we wanted to go, we spent more time than we had anticipated within the hotel grounds. We ate dinner at the neighbouring Sofitel which was beautiful as well, if a bit tired (pool cushions were ripped and well faded and the Asian restaurant's food was horrible). The food at the Sofitel's restaurants, however, was delicious every time. And the home-made juices were delicious to drink by the pool.

While we would have enjoyed a room with an ocean view, our ground floor room (number 006) was quite quiet and had a private little garden. The room was spacious for two people and always exceptionally clean. We received a massive fruit basket and cookies on our arrival and the minibar was free, which was also an added bonus.

Breakfast, which cost about $22 was costly but worth it. Everything was fresh and there was a ton to choose from. We never got sick of the buffet. And they even had soy milk and gluten free products.

Thank you Sofitel for a wonderful, relaxing recharge from our busy lives.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SueB173
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The atmosphere and the design of the Hotel are really unique, the staff is particularly caring and helpful with a smile and a perfect understanding of privacy. I was there for business meetings but I could enjoy the beauty of the room - modern design but warm - and the very good food during lunch breaks. The pool is great - well just saw it !! I imagine that in warmer season an for vacation it should really be a relaxing, enriching place for some days.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Federica T
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My partner and I visited Morocco in early February hoping to find some winter sun somewhere a little different and Agadir did not disappoint. In February, the temperature hovers somewhere between 22 and 25 degrees. We stayed in the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea and Spa for 4 nights followed by three nights in a more traditional riad.

Perhaps the first thing to note is the need to be very clear to the taxi driver which Sofitel hotel you are staying at. There is a second Sofitel right next door to the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea and Spa, (Sofitel Royal Bay Resort), and we ended up in the wrong hotel upon arrival. Also, it's worth noting that Agadir airport is around a 30 minute drive from the hotel. A fair price for the trip seems to be around 200 MAD, (something like £17 stirling), although we'd heard that people were charged anywhere between 150 MAD and 500 MAD. Personally, I thought the white knuckle taxi ride between the airport and hotel was good value for money - the concept of 'road sense' didn't seem to apply while we were there. My partner, however, did go a little pale during the journey so it might be worth trying to avoid any evening rush hour trips, (between 5pm and 7pm), if you're of a nervous disposition!

We thought the hotel itself was excellent, although it certainly isn't the place to go if you're looking for somewhere typically Moroccan. There are nods and references to traditional culture in the design and decor of the rooms and communal areas but, overall, the feel is very contemporary.

Our room, (140), was fantastic. A large shower, (with it's own choice of mood lighting!), has a one way mirror allowing views over the balcony without any prying eyes seeing in. The open plan design of the room leads you from the shower area to the bedroom space. The bed was extremely comfortable and we both slept soundly for the four nights we stayed. There is a free minibar, (stocked with soft drinks), in each room. Our balcony provided the perfect vista to see both the sunrise and sunset, with views over the beach. There is some "waste ground" outside the hotel but it's not an eyesore - just a little unkempt.

We ate in each of the hotel's restaurants. The Palais du Jardin seems to be the premium restaurant and the food was great. I had a cinammon-lamb vermicelli and my partner had a beef hotpot, (Moroccan style rather than Lancashire's finest!). We found it quite a formal restaurant and felt the need to "dress up" to eat there although that may be more of a reflection on us than the location. Also, unusually, I believe it's staffed entirely by females. The main dining room provides good food and is also where residents have breakfast. The breakfast choice was excellent and set us up perfectly for the day's exploring. There is also a restaurant offering healthy choices, (L'Atlantique), which is predominantly a fish restaurant. The food was excellent here too, although maybe a little expensive.

The outside pool space is very relaxing - warm water, plenty of sunbeds and cabanas and very attentive, but not overbearing, staff. My partner did try out the hammam and enjoyed it very much but said that she preferred the more traditional experience she had in Marrakech.

The hotel is at the end of a 7km, (approx) strip which runs the length of Agadir's seafront. It's a lovely, flat walk and there's a developing marina area at the end of it with some good restaurants and tea/coffee shops providing much needed refreshments. Along the walk, there are plenty of restaurants, small shops and beachfront, (none of whom were pushy as long as you gave them a polite "no thanks).

Overall, this is a really relaxing place to stay. The staff cannot do too much for you, (although English isn't widely spoken, it wasn't hard to make ourselves understood), and the surroundings were clean and contemporary. An excellent place to stay for a comfortable break in the not-too-searing sunshine but maybe not somewhere for those looking for a "true" Moroccan experience.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a beach view - spectacular and, in my opinion, better than the garden view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pete_Neath
Grandvaux, Switzerland
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Was there last week on a business trip. Beautiful hotel, very nicely decorated, stylish and modern. Staff were excellent, service was very good. Though the weather was too chilly for me to consider sunbathing or swimming, plenty of people around the pool chilling in the sunshine and enjoying it! I would consider going again in spring with my family for a vacation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business