“Not a 5 star hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 78 Hotels in Agadir
Glasgow
“Not a 5 star hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Spent a week here last week. Fabulous location on the edge of agadir. 5 kilometer walk to marina. Great beach,a bit dirty or natural? Problems were many. Housekeeping was awful, very hit and miss, they forgot to put towels in the bathroom one day, clean dressing gowns but no belts for them, forgot to replenish tea & coffee each day, no milk for coffee. I complained three times in one day and was assured it would be dealt with. Guess what? It wasn't. The bar tried to give me flat tonic for my g&t's not once but four times, despite my complaint on the first occasion.at the pool one day we ordered drinks about 12.30 pm, when I tried to pay for then the waiter told me I couldn't pay just now because the restaurant manager was away having her lunch! The web site states in suites and junior suites complimentary soft drinks and water in the mini bar throughout your stay, this is not the case, the housekeeping manager informed me that was the case last year ,but not this year. Is that reasonable?My last night the guest manager called me, I outlined my concerns, and he assured me he would deal with it to my satisfaction. Never heard from him again.very poor management, no let me change that, awful management. I hope someone from sofitel reads this and addresses these issues. Is anyone listening?

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Robert A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Saumur, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We've spent another days in May at Sofitel Thalassa Sea and Spa in Agadir.

The weather was great, very sunny, hot, the private beach is amazing, and what a joy to walk in the morning in the waves, through this long and wonderful beach !

The hotel is very modern, with luxury bedrooms, try the ones with terrace on the sea.
The all hotel is very clean, the breakfast at the buffet is delightfull with lots of fresh fruits, morocan pastries, all sorts of fruits juices and everything to get satisfied.
The bar is huge, with elegant furniture, all the gardens are cleaned everyday, it's reallly beautiful.

The staff is nice, friendly and helpfull.
We've had our lunch at the Atlantic, and the staff guys were as friendly as before, the had nice little attentions for us and it was lovely.

It's a perfect getway from stress and work for a week or less, not too far by plane from Europe, with sunny beach and another culture as well.

Room Tip: Suite with sea view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel is a very nice hotel, it is a very modern and beatifull hotel with class and style, the service is top class and the staff is very friendly and will do everything to make your stay perfect,

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Rabat, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I was delighted with this Hotel, It was charmingly decorated.
The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful
Excellent position,the rooms were big,clean and extremely comfortable
Great restaurants, nice swimming pool.
And the spa was a sumptuous experience.
I highly recommend and will definitely stay there again on my next visit to Agadir.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Afaf85
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife and I just returned from our stay at this hotel on our "mini-moon". Due to email complications with guest services prior to our arrival we were upgraded to a deluxe sea view room which was very much appreciated. Sara the guest services manager also arranged for us to have VIP treatment as a gesture for us as newly-weds - this meant we had fruit and some pastries in our room on arrival. However I noticed that the service was quite good throughout the hotel from the moment we arrived. We got there quite late in the evening and Bouba the evening desk manager was very kind and attentive. We were treated to macarons and mint tea whilst we waited a short time for them to arrange our in room treats. They made flower arrangements on our bed and swan towels at the foot of our bed.
Falling into the bed was like being cuddled into a warm cloud and the duvet was like having another warm cloud drift over you and settle. This wore off after the strong smell of "dry cleaner" killed it after 2 days.
We didn't venture into Agadir and if I'm honest I wasn't really that bothered. I usually like venturing into new territory and exploring the local area on holiday but it wasn't that important for us on this break. Our main focus was to get spa treatments and enjoy the weather. We took a little walk off the resort where we were hounded by merchants trying to flog stuff and stared at by locals. My wife felt very unsettled so we stayed on the resort.
The food was a good standard at the hotel. Not Michelin, but expected of a 4/5* hotel. The food/drink prices are competitive with 5* European hotels so expect to pay in this range. The sunset from our room was beautiful and we were told only 7 of their rooms have a full undisturbed view so we felt privileged to have one.
Around the pool, the pool bar staff will attend to you. There are a lot of areas outside around the pool and I felt like their service was limited to the pool area just outside the restaurant. It felt like this was more out of their laziness than policy. They should tend to all the guests around the pool and not just the ones closest to the restaurant.
I prebooked the spa treatments after contacting the hotel before arrival. Laila who I chatted to prior to our arrival was very friendly and a joy to chat with. She arranged for our last treatments to be done together in our own private room. I also have to commend Fatima the Hammam lady. She looks after all who enter the hammam and her orange and mint cocktail is a refreshing welcome in the relaxation area after a steam. On the day of the hammam experience I was feeling quite tender. I pride myself on having an iron stomach having toured India for 6 months and getting ill one day. I'm not sure what it was (maybe too much sun) but something I ate at breakfast just wasn't agreeing with me. If you like your omelettes, I suggest getting them well cooked and avoid anything left out if you decide to go for breakfast at 10am.
I was really looking sheepish when we went for our spa treatment so Laila fixed me a herbal tea which tied me over till the evening.
My wife loved the constant stream of macarons from the bar staff and the seafood pasta from the main restaurant next door.
I have to say that the hotel was a bit of the dark side indoors and really needs an injection of light in the corridors. It was the same in the room. It just needs more light options for the evening in the room and more light in the hotel during the day.
All in all it was a good spa break at a luxury hotel with excellent service.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony, most rooms have sea view. 7 rooms have full ocean view. Ask for one of the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Always_5starAI
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Probably best hotel in Agadir. I got to stay at one of their suites and found it quite pleasant. The decoration is done quite well (if you enjoy hip and modern hotels). Staff was friendly and helpful. Certainly worth a recommendation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Daniel K, Directeur général at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor about your stay at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found the service provided by our Ambassadors of a high quality.

On behalf of all of us, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Daniel KARBOWNIK
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

This hotel may have been cool in 1990 but now its black and white and oversized decor is old, tired and even dirty. The hotel is in need of much maintenance. The furniture is broken, nicked and needing replacement. The outside has faded cabanas, bad towels, rusted railings and generally in need of some paint and new tile work everywhere.. The rooms are small and well worn. Overall the hotel is not worth the price and at best a 3 star with 5 star prices. Just tacky and dirty..

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank craigha155019
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa
on tripadvisor.

We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow us to express our sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important for us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Daniel KARBOWNIK