“You can do better”

Ranked #7 of 77 Hotels in Agadir
New York, New York, United States
“You can do better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

If you love the beach, then i guess stay here. BUT, it wasnt great. The rooms are small, the service is pretty bad (much better everywhere else in Morocco), and the waitstaff are frankly annoying. I was hounded by more than 1 "pool server" for extra gratuity. One worker even told me he needed $$ to get home bc he didnt have any (i told him that wasnt my problem). This is not what you want to deal with on vacation. I asked for a nice car to the airport (they offered a volkswagon), i asked for breakfast by the beach (they said ok, then i waited 30 min with no service and finally left), i asked for Hookah by the pool (which they refused), AND they couldnt find me suntan lotion anywhere? Bizarre.

The hallways are extremely dark, the food at the hotel restuarants was awful (tasted like all inclusive cruise food), and to make matters worse they FORGOT my wake up call at 6am the day i was leaving. Thankgod i set the alarm on my phone.

There are much better places to stay in Agadir.

Room Tip: The regular rooms are so tiny you can only sleep in them.
2 Thank CLonds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

After a stressful year my boyfriend and I decided to treat ourselves to a two week holiday in a luxury hotel and we chose this one based mainly on the facilities and location. The decor of the hotel is spectacular and we were very impressed upon our arrival. We we got to out room we requested a double bed as opposed to two single beds ( mattresses) pushed together so they moved us to another room to find the same two single mattresses. When we aired our grievance they moved us a third time to to the same bed type so we gave up at this stage after a long flight.

The facilities are fab and there are very few children around which for us is a bonus. The daytime food although delicious is very pricey so after a few days we felt we would have to venture further a field to eat.

I had 5 treatments in the spa while I was there and the spa was gorgeous although the service was awful. One of my full body massages which was supposed to be for 1 hour ended up lasting twenty minutes, having been brought to the treatment room twenty minutes late and then left in the room for a further ten minutes to change and the masseuse finished at ten to the hour to give me time to rest. All in all I was thoroughly disappointed and I expressed this to reception where I was duly ignored. I felt quite stressed after the experience and having a background in hotel management when I bumped into the General Manager I told him about my experiences and he explained how hard it was to get staff and made no attempt to either apologize or make recompense for the disastrous experience. Truly I would have been happy with an apology.
I did have a wonderful holiday which I feel was due to the company and the surroundings and little to do with this supposedly luxury hotel. Perhaps the worst experience we had was when we dined in the hotels fine dining restaurant where the staff forgot to serve us until the chef arrived out of the kitchen with the food in his hands and we opened and served our own wine as the waitresses giggled in the corner. I would understand this if the restaurant was really busy but we were the only patrons at this time. It was extortionately priced but we were treating ourselves so please do not waste your money in this restaurant. As mentioned earlier the decor is stunning and the facilities are fabulous but overall we felt deflated after our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank vonserelli
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

The facilities look nice until you realize that everything is subject to an extra charge which is almost always outrageous and never purely nominal. This is the only luxury hotel I have ever been at that charges guests to use the fitness and spa facilities (other than massages and special services, of course).
Also, I was travelling with a friend from Senegal and he experienced strongly racist reactions from much of the staff. This hotel is as far from the center of town as it could possibly be, but bills itself as "centrally located." And even basic amenities such as tea and coffee in the lobby bar are priced way above and beyond the norm for Morocco.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank 563Tom
colchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We felt safe and looked after at this hotel,yes it was dark inside but the room we stayed in was light and once we had figured the lighting out it was fine. The reception staff were most helpful. the restaurant staff very good and chefs skilled . We ate in most days as the one evening we ventured out we felt a bit unsure of the standard of hygiene and parking arrangements. No scores on the doors rating here. There are parking guardians who are licensed according to the Rough Guide and you just give the 3 Dhm when you leave . But at first no one explains that and it is a bit un-nerving. The food in The Market restaurant was good, not outstanding but inventive plentiful and a lot of choice. Many dishes were freshly made. We enjoyed it all, breakfast was one of the best . The room with a large patio was fine. The bed was the best, [Sofitel beds are superb], big with large pillows and I slept for longer than ever . The housekeeping was a bit erratic as someone else has said, missing towels ,milk pods, gowns without belts and the room not made up one day until 4pm but it was spotlessly clean each time. Great shower and clever arrangement of room . I was disappointed with the beach and whilst we were there no one ventured onto the beds arranged there. It is roped off but the sea is not suitable for swimming in,far too rough with fierce undertow. However the pool was amazing, huge and and whilst we were there we were the only 2 in for most of the day. It is heated and though the weather was warm not hot I think most of the other guests wimped out. I loved it and stayed in over 40 mins before exhaustion took over. The pool attendants were very efficient and as the hotel only appeared one third full we were well looked after. There were plenty of beds /loungers but not too crowded , we went to look at the hotel next door but glad to be back It felt more family orientated but rather crowded around the pool. The only down side was it took us two days to locate all the restaurants. A map in the room folder would help. A good winter break and the staff looked after us well.

Room Tip: Confusing web site gives poor indication of the placement of rooms.
Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Spent a week here last week. Fabulous location on the edge of agadir. 5 kilometer walk to marina. Great beach,a bit dirty or natural? Problems were many. Housekeeping was awful, very hit and miss, they forgot to put towels in the bathroom one day, clean dressing gowns but no belts for them, forgot to replenish tea & coffee each day, no milk for coffee. I complained three times in one day and was assured it would be dealt with. Guess what? It wasn't. The bar tried to give me flat tonic for my g&t's not once but four times, despite my complaint on the first occasion.at the pool one day we ordered drinks about 12.30 pm, when I tried to pay for then the waiter told me I couldn't pay just now because the restaurant manager was away having her lunch! The web site states in suites and junior suites complimentary soft drinks and water in the mini bar throughout your stay, this is not the case, the housekeeping manager informed me that was the case last year ,but not this year. Is that reasonable?My last night the guest manager called me, I outlined my concerns, and he assured me he would deal with it to my satisfaction. Never heard from him again.very poor management, no let me change that, awful management. I hope someone from sofitel reads this and addresses these issues. Is anyone listening?

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Robert A
Saumur, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We've spent another days in May at Sofitel Thalassa Sea and Spa in Agadir.

The weather was great, very sunny, hot, the private beach is amazing, and what a joy to walk in the morning in the waves, through this long and wonderful beach !

The hotel is very modern, with luxury bedrooms, try the ones with terrace on the sea.
The all hotel is very clean, the breakfast at the buffet is delightfull with lots of fresh fruits, morocan pastries, all sorts of fruits juices and everything to get satisfied.
The bar is huge, with elegant furniture, all the gardens are cleaned everyday, it's reallly beautiful.

The staff is nice, friendly and helpfull.
We've had our lunch at the Atlantic, and the staff guys were as friendly as before, the had nice little attentions for us and it was lovely.

It's a perfect getway from stress and work for a week or less, not too far by plane from Europe, with sunny beach and another culture as well.

Room Tip: Suite with sea view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel is a very nice hotel, it is a very modern and beatifull hotel with class and style, the service is top class and the staff is very friendly and will do everything to make your stay perfect,

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com