“Great 5 star”

Hotel Riu Palace Tikida Agadir
Ranked #3 of 77 Hotels in Agadir
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Another trip to a Riu. Went to morrocco in March 2014 and we were well impressed. The hotel just oozes class as u walk through the lobby. Check in was really quick and desk staff were great, the room we had was lovely and very spacious with the sitting room down a couple of stairs, the staff are really courteous and can't do enough for you especially round the pool. The food is all good and a very good selection especially the cake department. Entertainment was very good and laid back, the drinks at the bars are all major brands and measures are decent, overall this is a great 5 star Riu, will be back.

10  Thank David1209
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Tikida Agadir

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Spent 7 days at the Riu Tikida Palace from 03 march to 10 march 2014
I was disappointed on arrival at the hotel that there were no porters to bring luggage into the hotel, however they were prompt in delivering to room. The wait to check in was far too long. It would have been better if we had been given the registration forms on the coach from the airport, this surely would speed things up.
The rooms are very comfortable and the tea and coffee making facilities were a real plus. I was surprised there was only room service except for breakfast. Also we expected towelling robes in the bathroom and lots of toiletries but there were very few treats
The staff are a credit to the hotel, they work very hard to please their guests and succeed in making a positive difference to the holiday.
The hotel is situated opposite the beach and has a lovely promenade that extends to Agadir's marina, which is well worth the walk. The location of the hotel is ideal for the resort centre and a the city. Agadir is purpose built resort and to see the real Morocco its important to venture further a field to places like Marrakech, , Taroudant, Asilah , Essaquira and many more.
The food is fantastic, there is so much choice. Every day is a different theme ie; Spanish, Chinese, , Italian. etc I wouldn't bother with the Moroccan or French restaurant as there is so much variety in the main restaurant including Moroccan and French cuisine it seems silly to miss out on a wider range of food. What I did find annoying about the buffet was the gannet mentality of some of the hotel guests, we decided to eat later to avoid these people, it was like they had never seen so much food and were desperate to make sure it wasn't going to disappear
The pool area is very comfortable with loungers every where and great service from the bar staff, The only down side is the music around the entire pool area is played far too loud and in spite of our efforts to get it turned down it eventually was turned up and we left the pool, it would be acceptable if the music was relaxing but it was not.
The weather was a bit dodgy during the week we experienced sun, mist, rain, wind , over cast, never a day when it was completely sunny. Not sure if this is typical for Agadir during this time.
All in all we had a very enjoyable holiday in a beautiful hotel that I would highly recommend .
The reason I only gave it a 4 star was for the things I felt let the hotel down loud music around the pool, lack of room service , porterage and bathroom treats, small things but for me give an edge to making a hotel really luxurious

Room Tip: I noticed the hotel was flat everywhere and would be ideal for wheel chair users or people with walk...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank gretagarbo_10
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed in many hotels before and i can see that hotel was good enough to make our acomodation as comfortable as enough to have a good.holiday the reception was in high service of colaboration and orientation and i loved that bite as i like comunication i recomend that hotel highly for good stay .

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank stan-che
Reviewed 28 March 2014

WOW where do I start...

I have worked in travel for years and it always amazes me when I go to a hotel and have such a good holiday. I have travelled all over the world and have never been to a hotel where everything went to clock work. The team at The Riu Palace Agadir work tireless to service all the guests.

I have been lucky enough to have visited many Riu Hotels and class myself as a bit of a Riu Expert. I love the brand and they way they think of every little need.

Lets look at some points about the hotel, now I use walking sticks and a wheelchair so I have tailored my review to share my experiences of this.

Check In:

Fast and very helpful, they will asked you first what language you speak and from there on you are away. The hotel has a large number of French holiday makers at this hotel.
Room keys are the card format... Please please keep these away from your mobile phones, I can not tell you the number of times we have been backwards and forwards to reception as I left it in the same pocket as my mobile.

Food & Drink:

The are not shy on the amount of alcohol they give you. I had a vodka and Coke one night and I think it just about enough coke in it to turn the Vodka dark!!!

Cocktails are lovely and worth a try, the beer is very drinkable as well :)

Food there is plenty! you will not go hungry at this hotel. From breakfast in your room (free of charge) to lunch in the snack restaurant down by the beach to dinner in the main buffet restaurant. WOW I think I have put on a few stone...

The have special restaurants you can use as well, just book the night before in the main restaurant with the head waiter.

Pool:

The pool area is like any other hotel, pool towels are put out very early, there is always someone on hand to get you another bed and put it in the right place where you want it.

The bar staff around the pool could be a bit quicker at coming around to give you a top up or maybe this was just me and my partner were quick drinkers :)

Pool water was a lovely temperature and for March it was lovely weather.

Entertainment:

The entertainment team work so hard to please everyone and the shows they perform are top quality for a hotel team. There is also visiting acts that come to the hotel as well. It does not start till 9:30pm and I must admit when the curtain goes down its like a mass walk out as everyone leaves at the same time.

Others:

Hotel has free WiFi around the pool area and in the main reception area. Great for keeping Facebook updated with all the photos of the lovely hotel.

Shop: Hotel has a great shop, we got cigarettes from here as we tried to go out to the shops in front of the hotel but we got hassled as soon as we got out the front door.

Me and my partner had such a good holiday we have already booked another Riu in 3 months time...

Long will we go to Riu :)

Harry

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the beach on the left hand side as this was the best area. Higher floor room...
3  Thank harryrwales
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Just returned from a great week at the Riu Palace Tikida Agadir and as a hotel, can thoroughly recommend it.

The positives - and there were a lot - as we saw them were:

Plenty of other people have commented on this - the staff are brilliant in all areas of the hotel. They are all very friendly and accommodating, and the vast majority speak excellent English despite it being a 3rd or 4th language to them. Even the ones who weren't as fluent were still perfectly competent and understandable, so there is no issue with this. You will also receive excellent service even if you don't tip and we certainly didn't see people receive preferential treatment based on them tipping or not.

Pool Area
There are 2 main outdoor pools of good size, one of which is heated which was a good thing as the other one felt VERY cold! There are also 2 pool bars, but if walking to one of these is too much effort for you, don't worry as the bar staff also come round with a drinks trolley. Providing you are down by the pool by 10am then you'll have no problem getting sun loungers, although parasols will be more tricky. However the pool staff are excellent at finding additional loungers / parasols should you need them. It's worth noting that there is also a good sized indoor pool if the weather is bad, but it was great while we were there so didn't need to use it.

Restaurants: Breakfast / Dinner
Breakfast is taken in the main buffet restaurant up until 10.30 (although there is apparently also a smaller selection in the snack restaurant by the pool after this time). There was a really good selection with cereals, cold cuts, pastries, breads and the usual cooked options, including freshly cooked omelettes. Sparkling wine is also available if you want it! Also, as many people have said, the orange juice is excellent!
For dinner there are 3 options - the buffet restaurant which is open from 7-10pm, or 2 a la carte restaurants with 7pm or 9pm sittings. You need to book the a la carte restaurants with the head waiter as you exit the buffet restaurant either at breakfast or at dinner on a previous evening. A few comments on each option:
Buffet: Lots of variety and quality was good but generally not exceptional, although in my experience buffets rarely are. There is always a small Moroccan section which to me seemed to be the best quality (perhaps understandably). One point definitely worth mentioning though was that we arrived at the hotel at about 11.15pm due to our flight times, but they keep a small selection available in the restaurant so that you can still get something to eat, which is a great touch.
Moroccan A La Carte (Marrakech): I really liked this - the theming in the restaurant was good and while the set menu options were relatively limited, still gave decent options. All rounded off with Moroccan pastries and sweet mint tea (which I think I got a bit addicted to!).
Fusion A La Carte (Krystal): I've eaten at one of the Krystal restaurants before at the Riu Palace in Aruba and thought this one was not quite as good as that one in terms of the quality, but still good. Some of the combinations may seem a bit strange but there are safe options on there too - you can essentially get a steak for main if you like.
Overall though the a la carte's seemed pretty quiet and I don't really understand why, as the quality is definitely better than the main buffet restaurants. I think you get a better 'meal' aswell rather than having bits of everything in the buffet - that could just be me though. I definitely recommend you try both though.

Room
We booked a junior suite and in general it was excellent - very big and well furnished with safe, a big Samsung TV, separate wardrobe / changing area, huge bathroom with bath and separate shower cubicle, big balcony with sun loungers as well as a table and chairs. There is also a mini bar with 2 x cans of coke, fanta, sprite and beer as well as big bottles of still and sparkling water. It wasn't perfect though - I'll come onto a couple of downsides in the negatives section.

Negatives

So despite all the positives listed above, I've only given 4 out of 5 rather than the full 5, and this is mainly down to one reason - lunch. This is taken in the snack restaurant by the pool and while the food itself is fine, if you go at any point after 1pm, which we usually did, then you have real difficulty getting a clean table and we had to ask the staff to clean tables for us on a number of occasions. I should point out at this point that they weren't standing around doing nothing (which would have affected my comments on service above), they were busy but just seemed to have a lot to do, so could benefit by having more staff in this area. Don't get me wrong, this didn't affect our holiday enjoyment, but in a 5* hotel I expected better than to experience this issue on a number of days.

Room
As mentioned, a couple of things could have been better with the room. Firstly, the mattress was very hard, bordering on uncomfortable initially. However I can't say that this affected my sleep, but I can't say that it was as comfortable as you often get in top end hotels. The other thing was that, as far as I'm aware, all junior suites are on the 'outside' of the hotel and therefore overlooking a public walkway, rather than on the 'inside' overlooking the pool. It's a small point, but for the supplement paid I was hoping for a better view.

Personally, I certainly wouldn't let either of these 'negatives' put you off booking, although I don't think I'd recommend the junior suite if you want a good view - go for a pool view standard room instead.

Finally, just some comments on the resort, while there isn't much to do there, we found it pleasant enough. It's about a 30 minute walk along the promenade to the marina (turning right out of the hotel), but there isn't much to the left other than hotels. A lot of locals use the promenade and beach but you don't get hassled like in some places like Egypt. To give an example, in the hour where we walked to and from the marina, I think we were approached by 5 or 6 people trying to get us to buy something or go into a bar, but if you say no thankyou then they leave you alone. I can't think of many resorts we've been to where you'd get less 'hassle' than this.

Overall, if you are looking for a relaxing holiday in a high-quality hotel, then I'd certainly recommend the Riu Palace. If you've already decided to come to Agadir then we certainly didn't see any other hotels along the promenade that looked as good as this one.

Room Tip: The view from our junior suite wasn't great - consider just going for a pool view standard room...
12  Thank Andy L
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Went for a week 6/3/14 lovely hotel staff attentive food good. However there was only 2 restaurants
open so bit of a disappointment but buffet was good with plenty of choice. The only thing In the buffet they should label what is vegetarian and use green handles on spoons etc for vegetarian dishes especially with pizza. Would use the chain again and would recommend the hotel. The assistant manager was always available and listened to feedback. Thomson rep was lovely.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank diannealanLancashire
Reviewed 20 March 2014

In short:

Definitely recommended, great weather, excellent service and a good selection of food.

If you want the details......

We Have just returned from a week at the Rui palace., there are some Good deals to be had on the Internet after a few minutes of searching.
We had  Hassle free flights and a short 25 minute transfer to the hotel. Set back from the beach and promenade the hotel has a grand entrance hall with reception set in one side and various other rooms leading from it. The bar being  set in the far corner of the room. Some reviews said it was featureless and too large, however we thought it was well laid out considering how many guests may frequent it during peak season, it was fit for purpose. Comfy sofas at the bar and quick service from the waiters, offering a good choice of local beers and wines plus premium uk spirits. The cocktails are made from the standard syrup with spirits added so pretty average but nice none the less.

The staff could not have been more pleasant from start to finish. I had read a few reviews saying that the top floor (4th) was good to aim for as it has nobody above so may be a little quieter and has good views of the pool or sea. I emailed asking for a high floor before travelling and were lucky, getting room 4143 with a view out over the sea. The room itself had a huge bed, two doubles pushed together to make one, but suited us fine. A small lounge area with sofas leading to a simple balcony. The bathroom was large and had a good sized bath and wonderful shower.  The rooms are well decorated and were cleaned everyday to a high standard. A selection of beers and soft drinks are topped up in the mini fridge too.  A few of the fixtures and fittings could have done with a little maintenance or screw tightening but nothing major. Some complained that the wifi was not available in the rooms but it mentions in the info booklet to contact reception if wi fi is needed in the room. Although it is freely available by the pool and in the lobby.

The pool complex has an unheated, refreshing cold pool, a heated warm pool and a little jacuzzi, all clean and inviting. Surrounded by a selection of four poster beds and comfy loungers. It says no reservations but you would be advised to maybe put a towel down on your way to breakfast or you may be out of luck if you go to the pool anytime after 9am. The pool bars offer drinks throughout the day and once lunch has finished the snacks are left out until dinner time. Recent reviews mentioned tipping but I saw nobody tipping at the pool bars. We gave tips to the waiters at dinner if they had gone out of their way while serving us, although the standard of service is very high anyway. We changed some notes for smaller denominations when we were checking in so that we had some tip money spare.

We attended the welcome brief from the rep but decided against any of the activities. We did want a massage so took advantage of the offer on the spa brochure in the room. A scrub, full body massage and steam room for Dh480/£36 which was cheaper than the prices on the list when we went to book at the spa!  However, it was an excellent experience and highly recommended. Do expect not to wear anything for the massage though as it caught us by surprise!

We decided to visit the city Souk/ market during the morning on the Tuesday and set about walking there to experience the local area. Top tips: Get cash before you leave the hotel or from a machine close by so as not to draw attention to your self en route, photo copy your passports and take the copy with you and ask for a local map from reception. It is about a 20 minute walk, if you stick to the main roads then it is quite direct and feels safe. We took the back routes and although had no trouble, did feel a little uneasy when locals wanted to lead us to the souk via their route, but nothing too unsettling. A polite no thanks in French seemed to work. The souk it's self was great, no hassle and a huge variety of good and vegetables. We went in at entrance number 1 which is the fruits area, it is also easy to get a taxi to and from the hotel to this entrance, get the little orange taxis for about Dh30.

The food at the hotel was great on most nights although starts to become a little repetitive by the last night although the standard was usually great. The hotel offer two alternative restaurants which are more intimate and hold around 30 people. A Moroccan restaurant and an Italian/ fusion restaurant. We ate at the fusion restaurant on one evening, the food was strange to say the least, maybe we had a bad experience but we wouldn't bother eating there again given how nice the standard food was in the main restaurant. We had what looked and tasted like raw chicken on a salad leaf for starters although I think it was some kind of fish.

We would definitely stay again and wish we had booked 10 nights instead of 7!

Room Tip: Drop reception an email asking for a high floor. This should give you a quiet room with sea or pool...
6  Thank LondonOnleave