“Great Looking hotel - Lobby like a real Palace but many faults”

Atlantic Palace Agadir
Ranked #30 of 79 Hotels in Agadir
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This review is hard for me as on some levels I loved the look / style / class of this hotel but we feltit let us down on some many levels it doesnt warrant a 5 star review. My main problem was that I run an online business and need to work online every day and the wifi was not working or only barely working in the room on one device (out of 7 devices) This is despite us booking this hotel specifically as it was advertised as wifi in every room and lobby,

When I complained about this the receptionist told me that as it was free it cant be guarenteed and said 'other hotels charge for wifi' - I said other 'good quality' and premium hotels recognise that wifi is almost essential to most people thesedays and should be working and included in the cost of standard bookings.

Good Points
Lovely looking big lobby and side room
Big Pool area / loads of loungers
BBQ lunch served daily around pool
Wifi in Lobby always good (only 10mb connection - I have 100mb connection in my house !)
Lobby looks fantastic
Pool area is great
Nice quiet location
Great rooms / balcony
Clean Roobs / Pool
Breakfast is good
Restaurant has great food and world class service (really reat)
10 minutes walk from beach
Private area on beach (towels provided)

Bad points
Totally Pathetic pricing policy for bottles of water around pool (about £4 each !)
Drinks in the bar in the evening totally overpriced (double other bar prices)
Wifi in room was either very very week or not working on 5 out of 7 nights
Seats in lobby look great but totally uncomfortable
Fridge locked on second from last day - reception informed and told us they would send someone (nobody ever turned up!)
Ants infested our room - reception informed and told us they would send someone (nobody ever turned up!)
For first 2 nights there was no wifi in room at all and after spending 1 hour at reception they eventually got someone to fix it by rebooting the router (that I initially suggested)
Twice there wasnt any money to change up
Safe malfunctioned (fixed within 1 hour)
Partner was sure that we were not treated as well as the French speakers
Spa was not included in price of room (not even inside pool available without paying)

Room Tip: Ours didnt have good wifi so insist on one that has perfect connection as advertised in their websit...
2  Thank James B
CommercialAtlantic, Directeur général at Atlantic Palace Agadir, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Dear James B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on this website, following your recent stay.

I have well notice your recommendations, specially for the WIFI and the price of the drinks.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Great entrance! In our first room the airconditioning didn't work....I reported this right away. The promissed me the send someone up. After 15 mins I called again. Then the receptionist told me there was no one to help us and we had to wait till the next morning. I told her this was not an option as it was way to warm in the room. The she said she would try again to reach someone. After 15 mins I called her again. Then she told me someone would come up in 15 mins to fix it. After 30 mins still no one showed up...Then I went to the reception. Then the guy at the reception told me that there was no one there to help me. OMG...this frustrated me soooo bad. I became very angry at gut at the reception. He didn't seem to be impressed at al. After 20 mins standing at the reception desk they finally gave me a new room! This was at 00.30 in the night! I was soooooo tired.... Not a good impression for a first day. The days after there were no big problems but at our last day there was a huge problem at the pool. We arrived at the pool at 9.30 in the morning. All the beds were taken but there were only 4 people in the pool. The guys at the pool told me it was not their problem and we had to get up earlier. I told him we first went to the restaurant for breakfast and then go to the pool.....not the other way around...as most people do. I told him this was a big problem as most of the people put their towels on the beds and not show up until lunch. He laughed at me and give me a big mouth....I was so pissed at him that I went up to the reception. The girl at the reception understood me right away and rang the manager. Also the manager understood the problem right away and walked to the pool with me. He really got angry at the guys at the pool. So I'm happy the manager was really understanding...but the guys at the pool really could use a course in how to treat a guest. It was clear that guys at the pool were given tips to reserve the beds for certain guest....really unprofessional.

The good things in this hotel are: amazing clean rooms, the entrance is amazing, staff in the restaurant work really hard, the quietness during the night is really nice, breakfast is great!
The bad things in this hotel are: Some staff are just rude, the prices of the drinks are way to expensive: € 3.50 for a botlle of water €7 for a beer, you are not allowed to buy something elsewhere and then bring it to the hotel ( a botlle of water at the nearest supermarket cost €0.60), lunch and dinner are really not that great, a lot of loud French people.......

Overall a really nice hotel but some of the staff are just not that hospitable....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dwouters

Dear Dwouters,

I do apologize for problems you had on the first night and at the pool. For the air conditionning, we should had better check your room before gave it to you and propose you faster to have an other room instead of wait that long, I am very sorry. Concerning the pool, your testimony help us a lot on enhance the way to give seats during the high season, and we had train our staff for.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed here from 3rd August for a week. The hotel has potential mainly because of the big pool and nice aspect of some of the rooms that over look said pool. The hotel wants to be a 5 star establishment but it is not and this lets it down. Lots of space but under utilised in an attempt to make it have a sense of grandeur. Would be much better to actually use the space to provide better facilities to the paying guests.
However all of this aside our stay was completely ruined half way through our holiday. I was 'intercepted' outside the hotel one morning by a security guard/bouncer and frogmarched to the hotel reception where I was paraded in front of the hotel management because I dared to bring in a bottle of water in a bag after a trip to the beach. Absolutely pathetic. Once I had my dressing down the concierge suggested he could sneak the water in to our room later on. OMG!
I'm sure my basic human rights have been violated. Sad episode really. Not what you expect when you are paying to stay somewhere.
I thought the breakfast was pretty good but we ate once in the main restaurant in the evening and the food was very poor. Like another customer we tried the lunch BBQ and were served under cooked meat. One of our children was ill afterwards and the others had funny tummies for the rest of the holiday.
At the beginning of our holiday I was determined not to fall in to the issue around the whole 'French speakers' get a better deal here but by the end of the week I was feeling that way.

1  Thank TheNewells

Dear TheNewells,

Once again I do apologize for the behavior of the security guard that intercept you in a very bad manner. I hope you will change your mind on us and come back to visit us on your next stay in Agadir.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

This hotel does not deserve its 5 star rating.
1. We booked two rooms together with a garden view and did not get this. Upon arrival we were treated badly while this was re-arranged. Very little communication and no apology.
2. The comment below regarding language affects treatment is true. French speakers were given a better breakfast experience and there was no meet or greet for us on any occasion.
3. Pool side bar, very slow service and I experienced a slimy waiter who spent the entire time my food was cooking trying to persuade me that we need him to escort us to a club - did not return for this reason.
4. Hotel do not allow water to be brought in and charge through the roof for it.
5. Ordered oriental burger in the bar and potato wedges. Came with crisps instead. I asked again for the meal I ordered and they scraped the crips off my plate in front of me and brought out wedge 20 minutes later. No apology and cold food.
6. MOST DISAPPOINTING - Though the hotel booked a trip for 3 to Marrakech on Sunday and paid approx £64 each which we were told was from 6.30 am till 12.30 AM including transport for the day, a guide and all meals and water. It was approaching 7 and we approached the concierge expressing our concerns who were unfriendly and said they will have a lot of hotel pick ups and we need to be patient. At 9AM! The concierge approached us and said they have not heard from the tour company and so arranged for us to go in the car and have a guide. We got there at 11.30 and had a two hour tour with the guide who said he was finished at 1.30 and said good bye and accepted regretfully our generous tip. The driver said that we had to leave at 4 at the very latest and asked where he could drive us? We were confused as we were under the impression that we were there for the day with a guide as we finished our lunch (worth approx £8) I asked the driver if we could call the hotel as we felt very mislead.
I spoke to the same member of concierge and explained and then he asked to speak to the driver again, but did not communicate anything to me. Next, the guide returned very angry and aggressive that we called the hotel and said he would continue to escort us and the driver said it was fine to return later than 4. It was one of the most uncomfortable experiences for us all. As they were so aggressive we said we would continue on our own for another 2 hours (we wanted to escape this aggressive situation ASAP) and still leave it 4 bearing in mind it was a 3 hour return trip.
The worst part of this was the poor management of this experience by the hotel including the hotel manager. We had to explain what happened on 4 occasions, two of those to the actual manager. The concierge were sarcastic and after we initially explained the situation said 'I hear you we're too hot in Marrakech', we later found out that the guide lied and said we said we were too hot which is why they arranged to leave early! We were furious as we then understood that the hotel did not believe us!
Eventually we got a 50% refund but the way we were treated was diabolical.
I would not recommend this hotel as you will be disappointed.

I give it two stars because the pool is beautiful and the rooms (once you get the right one) are clean and spacious.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear 633SarahF633,

We already had the pleasure to discuss all the points you mentioned face to face (and with your friend Sal A) before you leave. I hope you will change your mind on us and come back to visit us on your next stay in Agadir.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I am currently in this hotel been here since the 1st August and staying until 8th August 2013
1. I was served Raw Chicken for BBQ lunch that is a real No No it was towards the end of service but still just because you want to shut shop you don't serve raw chicken !!!
2. Order Ceasar Salad what came was not a Ceasar Salad as I had already waited over half an hour for a salad ate it anyway when i told the waiter that FYI this was not a ceasar salad I was told this is a new recipe !!!!! maybe wrong here amongst other ingredients i'm sure a Ceaser Salad has Parmesan cheese but not a sniff of cheese on this one if anything tell the customer you don't have it as opposed to giving them any salad and hope they won't notice the customer would respect you more for the honesty.
3. A la carte restaurant has limited choice think 3/4 starters , mains had lamb rack which was nice.
4. Asked for additional towels for the room and was bluntly told one towel per person wouldn't mind so much but we are a family of 4 and only had 2 towels .
5. Breakfast on Sunday they mixed what seemed like leftover melon from the previous day in with the fresh melon let just say fresh melon should not taste tangy and have a gone off taste also there seem to be chaos at breakfast time no one at the door to show you to a table usually it's a case of find a table and wait for someone to clean it and lay the table that is if you can call dumping cutlery and a napkin in a pile on the table laying the table . I noticed that some people were getting a better and more personalise service I.e their table reserved and jugs of juice nicely laid out table and being served at the table while others had to take the self service route.
6. This hotel is very tired as are some of the facilities, the gardens are well looked after but shame the same effort has not been applied elsewhere.
7. For a five star hotel you should not be made to feel as if everyone is doing you a favour it doesn't have that welcoming factor that you usually expect with a five star establishments . Not sure who does checks on this hotel and awards it five star But you just need to visit some of the other five star hotels in the areas to see that this one is not on par .
8. No matter what the management of this hotel say you do get two level of service depending on what language you speak being bilingual thought i would put this to the test when I spoke In French I got a warm welcoming response as opposed to when I spoke English it all felt as if I was a bother if you know what I mean .

Dear Sal A,

We already had the pleasure to discuss all the points you mentioned face to face before you leave. I hope you will change your mind on us and come back to visit us on your next stay in Agadir.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

First time in Morocco, arrived 26th July. Private transfer from airport to hotel, which was a definite plus!Only couple in our tour operator group to be checking into A.P, which worried me a bit but paid it no heed. Hotel in an area with plenty of other hotels so there are lots of other tourists in the area. We were welcomed into the hotel and given some Moroccan tea to sip on while our details were sorted out. A deposit of 200euro was required, which seemed quite steep(the usual for me would be about 50euro).

Hotel room was lovely, but as far as I remember, we had been booked for a garden view with balcony. Instead we were shown to a ground level garden view terrace. I didn't mind at all, as there was no difference-until the morning when I found ants crawling around by the terrace door and in the room itself. Not sure if the same thing happens on rooms higher up, but I'd be requesting 1st level room next time!But the room we had was very nice-HUGE bed, very clean room, bright and airy. All rooms have internet, but it ca be a bit slow-find out what your hotel section is called as the internet is divided into hotel areas.

Pool area is lovely, very relaxed and lots of sunbeds to choose from, all with parasols. Bar beside the pool has nice food, but on our first experience there, the food took about half an hour to arrive(pizza and chicken pitta). However, the second time round, it was there within 10 mins so we just put it down to a busy day first time round!Food within the hotel is very expensive-32 euro per person for buffet dinner, and 16 per person for buffet lunch(even though I was quote 25 p/p by reception).

Breakfast is wonderful-absolutely spoiled for choice! Lots of bread, hot food(omelettes, potato, tomatoes, sausages, scrambled/fried eggs, pancakes), cereals, meats and fruit. Freshly squeezed juices aswell, which are amazing!

Restaurants are definitely within walking range of the hotel-Come out the main entrance of the hotel gates and turn right and if you follow that road all the way down you see lots of restaurants and the promenade is right beside you with lots more aswell. Our recommendations are Little Norway, Mimi Le Brochette, Le Nil Bleu-all wonderful food with very friendly staff.

There is a shop within the hotel for items like water, snacks, toiletries etc but they are pricier than outside. Unfortunately, the hotel operates a policy that forbids you from bringing any foods or drinks into the hotel. I refused to pay 4euro for a big bottle of water when it was 1.50 outside, so we just brought a backpack with us, which solved the problem.

Also, there is no night-time entertainment in the hotel, so if you're going with kids, there is nothing in A.P eg kids clubs or shows at night. Along the promenade, there were lots of bouncy castles and play areas which would be perfect:) It was Ramadan while we were there, so the promenade was still really busy at 11pm or so, tourists and locals!

We definitely enjoyed our stay at Atlantic Palace, a few hiccups but nothing major! Hope this review was in some way helpful, tried to include everything!

Room Tip: Our ground level terrace had ants-so it might be best to go up a level!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank louisey06

Dear Louisey06,

I have well notice your recommendations. Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I've been here in 2006. Hotel offers a very good location - 7 min walk you can find many restaurants. Great service, very good variety of food and very nice rooms, spacious, comfortable beds. Hotel has a very good pool area and a beautifully garden who managed trees and flowers. Beautiful interior - lobby and the indian restaurant - Taj Mahal restaurant. Across the streets there is the Ocean. Hotel has its own club (disco) and a casino.

Room Tip: The place is very quiet (except for seagulls in the morning). Ask for a room to the pool!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BeatriceChis

Dear BeatriceChis,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on this website,