“Downgraded room..”

Sofitel Agadir Royal Bay Resort
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in Agadir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Marrakech, Morocco
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

In the past seven years I have been in almost every Hotel in Agadir. Most of them are bad or o.k.
Today I checked in at the New Sofitel in Agadir. A warm welcome, a personell tour, beautifull room with a Queen Size bed and excellent food by the beach. If you ask me, that's the place you wanna be in Agadir.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gerhard1961
Corona del Mar, California
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Our final stop in our fifteen days traveling throughout Morocco. The service was extremely poor except for the bellboys and some of the restaurant staff ! The front office was not helpful in resolving air conditioning and room issues? The first room we had was filthy as was the hallway. The air conditioning never worked properly in either of our two rooms. God help us if it was unseasonable hot ! The breakfast was good but eating on site was extremely expensive for the quality of the food. The front office staff was not helpful, inefficient, non engaging and cold. When comparing this hotel experience with other riad/hotel experience throughout the country, it was a huge dissapointment. None of the warmth we experienced elsewhere. The common areas, pool and grounds were nice. Overpriced for the product you receive. A 3 star hotel at 5 star prices. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I dont like writing negative reviews so was not going to bother but then I read the reviews by PalDub & TonyCi who were obviously staying in this hotel over Christmas when we were there. It's a shame we never bumped into each other as it would have been nice to have some English company.
No offence intended to the French guests (95% of total guests) but their children were all very very badly behaved. The teenage gang element spent their time running up and down corridors and partying in their rooms, The younger children were just allowed to run around unsupervised - even in the restaurant...grabbing and touching any food they could get their hands on.
My tipping point was when 5-6 youngsters took to the stage area when one of the local musicans was playing and were running around in front of him - poking their tongues out and misbehaving - it was so embarrassing and nothing was done about it.
To be honest I just wanted to come home!
I have to also agree about the cleanleness of the toilets in the rooms. There was excrement on our toilet wall when we arrived and 7 days later it was still there : (( if the cleaning staff spent more time doing the basics instead of arranging my nightware into patterns on my bed I would have been alot happier.
Our door keys stopped working every single day circa 11am.......everyday I had the same conversation with the reception staff who told me it was becuase I was keeping the card by my mobile phone......everyday I had the same response - but I havent got my mobile phone with me on this trip ??!!??............tiresome!
The hotel is located at the end of a half built housing estate (no really it is!) and as mentioned is way out of the Marina area.........I always book hotels that are slightly out of the main resort as we like a quiet spot but there was nothing attractive about this area.
The hotel is situated on a part of the beach where there is the biggest waste pipe I have ever seen - not pleasant : (
OK positives!.............
The marina area is nice and the old Fish Market is still there so make the effort to see a little of the original Agidir.
We were brave and hired a car! I know! I am so glad we did as we could get out of the chaos of the hotel and explore. The driving is not for the faint hearted I agree but we survived the week with out any scapes or accidents.
Drove to the National Park and saw the wonderful Flamingos - amazing
Drove to Mirelift Bach - a long drive down to the south but great diversity of scenery on the way
Drove to Taroudant - the real Morocco - not many tourists go here for sure!
The Moroccan people were just wonderful and so too was their lovely food & coffee - yum!
I really enjoyed the Country and would definitley go back to this area again - just not this hotel.
If you want any tips on Car Hire then give me a shout - more than happy to help.

Room Tip: Very few of the rooms have balconies
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Neatn0gs
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The hotel was very traditional, the staff were lovely, all very polite and nothing was too much trouble.
Breakfasts were excellent and catered for all nationalities and tastes.
The rooms were adequate, bed large and extremely comfortable. The towels were changed at each visit and the bed was adorned each night with lovely rose petals and a decoration either made from towels or the bed cover-a lovely touch!
There were plenty of available sun beds, the heated pool was good.
Overall although the hotel was not modern We enjoyed the traditional touches and would recommend the Sofitel Royal Bay to others

Room Tip: If you want a pool or sea view you would pay extra but we spent the time in our room changing or asl...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Trish H
Emmen, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed at Sofitel Marrakech and travelled back and forth to Agadir on a few occasions, always spending a night at Sofitel Agadir. The rooms here are spacious enough, bathrooms perfectly fine and in good condition. Downside is (normal) rooms have no balcony.
Restaurant is fine, although there I have to say I preferred the breakfast selection in Sofitel Marrakech. Lunch at the asian restaurant was quite good.
This hotel is a great spot for vacationing, the pool looked so inviting, I just never could enjoy it. Checkin and checkout was very friendly and swift, I never encountered any issues on my quite many arrivals and departures.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

A week stay in this hotel with following notes:
- Housekeeper Kabira - extra excellent service and attitude
- Spa-services and staff - excellent
- Concierce - excellent
- Restaurant - breakfast shared together with birds eating the same bread, awful.
- Generally the food was good, but the room service food was delivered cold several times.

The hotel had booked all the outside yard, with view to the beach -restaurant premises for a one privat business group, when for 2 days "we others" could not use the yard restaurant but use only the room service by the pool side or choose restaurants inside.

This was only informed when trying to eat in the restaurant... This is not the level you expect to get when paying extrafee for 4 people and 2x2 rooms for garden side staying...

Still, for the few extra nice people and the general atmosphere, the view and location general rate for 4.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family