“Back in time”

Ranked #9 of 77 Hotels in Agadir
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Back in time”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

If you'd love to see how hotels look alike 10 years back or more, you should stay in this place and you won't be disappointed. Seriously outdated, hotel in need of renovation as soon as possible. Basically, I knew that hotel will be quite old, but I was not expecting it to see in a such sad condition, also I was looking for an arabic themed hotel, which in this hotel is only a foyer and restaurants - rooms are regular and lack of moroccan decoration.

We had a dinner in the neighbouring Sofitel, which is newer, and it looked nicer, but I didn't like the black and white pattern in which it's designed (black corridors like a tomb, or grave. Hotel for the Lord Dracula maybe? :) ). Also, we have noticed, that more Europeans stay in newer Sofitel rather than in Royal Bay.

It was our first stay in Sofitel hotels ever, and I would say that from their prefix "Luxury" is only the price, but not the quality and overall experience according to the true luxury standards. Worn decoration in the room and bathroom, while central foyer and atrium (or riyad how they call it) looks better. Staff on our arrival has not meet us, we have left the car and was waiting at the entrance when somebody will come to get our car, collect our luggage and greet us. Check-in was quick and we followed to our room. My wife found blood stains in the bathroom towels and bathrobe (new word in 5-star luxury?).

Positive things about this hotel - the staff. In my opinion, the staff recover almost all negatives. I've got a flu upon arrival and we have asked concierge to arrange some medicine for us - they did, with no hassle. My wife got the sunburn and at 11 o'clock in the evening we have asked we need another medicine - and we got it. We celebrated my wife's birthday in this hotel and I have asked to arrange flowers and cake (huge thanks to Madam Fatia) - they did, they have also decorated the room and bathroom in the best possible way with rose-petals. We have asked to bring us vase for flowers, they brought a million of apologies that they couldn't provide it, and brought what they could. I had hammam treatment in their SPA, Mohammed made the best hammam treatment I ever had, highly recommended (massage after was average, nothing special though).

Beach. I booked this hotel because of its private beach, it's not entirely private in my opinion. How does it look like - the hotel area (water in the pool was very cold, hammocks and beds, which were lovely), than you walk towards the ocean you cross the public pavemen and enter another hotel private piece of land on the beach (with bed and hammocks again). To get the ocean you get the public area again, there is NO private direct access to the ocean. It might be a feature of the place (and local Moroccan laws, that beach belongs to public, and hotel can do nothing with it) probably, but I was expecting to see the beach for hotel guests only with fences on both sides. While there are security guys watch for the trespassers, the hotel fence (it's not the fence, it's a rope barrier), theoretically it might be possible that someone may pick some of your stuff and ran away, so, I would suggest not to take and leave expensive camera or other valuable belongings without supervision.

In conclusion, the overall experience from the hotel is good, the only minus is hotel condition and cleanliness of towels/bathrobe, but staff attentiveness was perfect.

5 Thank AlexeyKozlov

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Beverley
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Me and my partner stayed in the Sofitel mid June 2014. The room was beautiful with a pool view and the staff were wonderful. They were so friendly, helpful and polite. They went out of their way to do as much as possible for us. The hotel was clean and very beautiful and the food was authentic Moroccan. Very good. They have a club that was like somewhere celebs would hang out. Not really our thing but we went once. Drinks expensive. (This is nothing to do with the hotel, but it tended to be snobby arrogant people that thought they were to good to be polite or smile that stayed in the hotel. Several occasions I saw people being rude and obnoxious to the staff. I really don't know how the staff continue to be as helpful and friendly with how they are treated).
The down side was there isn't much to do in Agadir. It's great if you want to sit and do nothing but relax for a week. I loved this but my partner was a bit bored and by the end I was too. People trying to get you into their shops and buy things got irritating as well but I guess this is just their way....
I cannot fault the hotel though. Simply perfect.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank JessicaPinkney
Toronto
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The most polite staff on Earth!
Beautiful pools, gardens, and the beach is awesome!
The bed and the washroom's rugs were always decorated with new rose petals, the sunset from our window was incredible.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Happike
Casablanca, Morocco
Reviewed 18 June 2014

For a 5 star hotel i was a bit disappointed. I don't for you guys but my wife and i noticed the presence of many prostitutes in the reception, in the restaurants, in the lobby. I know that there is a nightclub where they hang out but it's kind of weird to have them in the hotel during the day. There are families, couples and they usually don't like to share their breakfast with prostitutes.

I used to come often to this hotel but after the opening of the other Sofitel in Agadir, it looks like this one got downgraded. However the bed is still the best and super confortable.

Another thing that i didn't like was that in the morning where the maids do the rooms, they make so much noise that you can really sleep after 8h30 - 9h. Besides they opened twice our door room just to check if there is someone while we were sleeping. I guess they can coordinate with the reception which room is empty or not instead of opening the door like that.

The service is perfect and everyone is welcoming

Room Tip: don't take the rooms with a door that communicate with the other room.
3 Thank Saad A
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hotel was absolutely incredible, completely blew me away. Staff were always friendly and courteous, shout out to Didia who is a gent. We were treated like royalty for a week. Breakfast had everything you could think of. (I'd stick to the continental stuff though, bacon etc. isn't the same) We didn't eat in the hotel restaurants on an evening as it's much pricier compared to other places in Agadir. Booked a standard room which was lovely, always clean and very comfortable. Poolside area is ridiculously good and makes you not want to leave. It was the best hotel I've been in and in my opinion looked much better than all the other hotels along the beachfront.

I'd been to Marrakech before but found it too hectic and stressful. The weather in Agadir was perfect, sunny but not devastatingly hot. There was plenty to do providing you were up for a bit of adventure and has good enough transport links to other places such as Taroudant (mini-Marrakech) if you want to venture out a bit.

Travelled with my girlfriend, both students, in June 2014

2 Thank DanCouchman2121
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have stayed in this hotel many times and much prefer it to the new Sofitel Thelassa next door. That one is very dark mostly painted black inside. The Royal Bay is bright and far more Morrocan The staff are all, without exception, very professional and friendly. I would particularly like to mention Khalid and Jemila from the restaurant and Omar and Fatima who looked after us in our room. Fatija has over the years become a very good friend and is highly respected.
The food in the hotel is excellent as are the facilities. The garden and pool area is very relaxing and the private beach is having it's own bar installed whch will be an added bonus. The central seating and bar area offers Moroccan and international singers and musicians some evenings and a dramatic lighting of the candles most nights.

Room Tip: The rooms with a terrace or balcony facing the sea are the best.
2 Thank Dorothy C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel is nice although might need a slight redecoration is some areas.
Food is good quality: the seafood is very nice and fresh straight from the Ocean.
The pool is ok although the small heater one could be warmer a bit better in autumn/winter month.
Overall a good stay however the Thalassa center next door (also Sofitel hence free access to all amenities) is far better and more stylish. Next door the restaurant is another level: too bad we found out late ;-)

Room Tip: Higher floor or brighter and usually come with a lovely balcony
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family