“Not a five star hotel”
Review of Palais des Roses

Palais des Roses
Ranked #19 of 78 Hotels in Agadir
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We arrived july 2013 and was welcome at the airport by the taxi we had booked as transfer to our hotel. he had our name upside down. good job we know how to read.
At the hotel staff were friendly and took us to our room, it was very old traditional hotel. It needs up dating, and new décor needed. the pool was chipped in side and tiles cracked very dangerous, for children and adults. the food was so boring in the end our son was having bread rolls and butter for breakfast in the mornings, in the end I joined him as I was fed up with the same every morning and dinner was no better.
although the staff were friendly it was a shame that the rest of the local people were so greedy for money, it is disgusting how we could not walk down the beach or shops without getting hustled for money. we would walk straight pass them and keep on looking forward. the other hotel our relatives stayed in was the beach club hotel again staff there were very rude, but the entertainment was better than our hotel palais de roses which had none and no alcohol. the beach club hotel we went to every day to meet up with the rest of our party and stayed there for alcohol cocktails and live entertainment which was better than none. both beaches at these hotels were ok. beach club hotel we would rate a 3 star not a 4 and palais de roses we would rate a 3 star and not a five. the other good thing about the hotel was it spa which was good. would we go back to Agadir morocco again???????????????????? further more local tax at the hotel they did not tell us about we found out from other guess.
we were also charged 1,500 dirhams = £125.00 for 52 items of laundry which they refused to tell us the price in advanced. Brilliant hotel if you like bread, butter,watermelon and hate alcohol and hate entertainment. Then this hotel if for you but it was not for us even though we enjoyed the peace and quite.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jul B
PRIAAgadir, Manager at Palais des Roses, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2016

best

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I just returned from a two week stay (July 2013) at the Palais des Roses. Both my girlfriend and I have mixed feelings about the place.

Before the actual review, I wanna say that 1) we had found a very cheap offer, so we were in general happy with the hotel and 2) that we travelled in off-season. But since we could theoretically have paid more for the exact same product had we booked on other websites (we booked through LMX on Lidl.de) and off season is no excuse for the staff to get sloppy I feel that a review has its justification for those who wonder if this is worth the money.

Pool, Garden and location of Oasis restaurant:
We thought the pool, unusually shaped, large, and with great clean water is great, the garden area spotless and the location of the restaurant Oasis inside the hotel area fantastic (it is perched between the pool and the sea promenade and partly overlooking the pool, giving you a constant feeling of 'Hurry up with the bill waiter, I wanna jump into the pool right from my table').

General Location:
Whether or not the location of the hotel in Agadir suits you or not depends on your needs. It is a 25-30 minute walk on the sea promenade from where something is happening on the sea promenade, but we didn't mind that...most of the time. If you don't want to party like a 12 year old or a senior, on the other hand, you might mind that. So I guess this is more like a family hotel, really. Also there is no alcohol served. No, really. There is no alcohol served. Bring your own is tolerated, though.

Style/Interior:
I had never been to Morocco before and was amazed by anything from the beautiful mosaic tables on the balcony of the room, to the huge lobby with it's estimated 1000 couches (I guess it is a Palais), the decoration and pretty vases, plants and lamps.

+/-
Rooms:
We had booked a normal standard room without sea view and upon arrival found ourselves in a room with an ugly view, facing the street, no balcony. Definitely not a room to relax in and take in the view, and definitely not for 2 weeks (unless you like streets, of course). When we asked for a much much better one we got a room with a balcony facing the beautiful garden and the sea, no extra charges (except tips, of course). We tipped and were happy to have a proper room for much less than the online price for a room with sea view. However, we wondered if the reception had done this on purpose to provoke room change and ensuing tips for them as the hotel was near empty at the time, but in any case the rooms not facing the garden are no good, whatever cheap price is offered.

The room we ended up with was very nice and well looked after by the cleaning staff. One down side is that you have to endure all the noise coming from the corridors.

Food/Room Service:
The food one was a constant surprise, and a bit like the lottery. Sometimes we lost, but most of the time we won.
The breakfast buffet was always the exact same for 14 days (oh no, wait, once they changed the lentil stew for steamed tomatoes) and nothing to write home about. The dinner buffet at Restaurant International, on the other hand, which we only had twice, was quite good, but with 220 Dirham (21 Euros) overpriced.

Room Service and Restaurant Oasis (which presumably also cooked the Room Service food) was not always reliable. Once we had Bolognese that were about as good as any ' day old warmed-up I can't cook student grub' and once we had a burger that was fantastic. Once we asked for simple pasta with tomato sauce and it was very tasty, and next time we did that they weren't so tasty anymore. The burgers & sandwiches were always good.

- There were pretty much just two types of staff: Those who genuinely cared about you and the jobs they were doing and those who didn't. There were about 3 or 4 of the first type, all of them in some sort of higher position (head waiters etc.). We felt like most of the time the staff just didn't care, or actually listen to what we said. A few things I remember: once we ordered two coffees over room service and just got one (but paid two), another time we ordered three coffees and got one coffee, but with three cups.

But what bugged us most about the staff was that nobody explained anything to you: One night there was a power breakdown (no biggie). We sat in the lobby, surrounded by lots of staff, none of them explaining anything to us, or any other customers except those poor souls who had been trying to check in when the power broke down. They were given explanations and food. We weren't (no real biggie). An hour later the power came back. An hour later it was cut off again. Since again nobody explained why, we asked..again. Apparently the light in the lobby is cut off at 12:30. When we asked the staff to turn the light back on, it took a manager and 5 minutes to get the other staff to turn on the lights for us again (biggie).

Another biggie: 3 days before our departure someone pulled the plug of the awesome swimming pool. We noticed that by there not being any water in the pool anymore. Again, no explanation by any staff member, no excuses and no water in two of the three pools.

Too long didn't read: The rooms facing the garden are good, the ones facing the street aren't. The breakfast buffet is standard, the dinner buffet quite good. Restaurant Oasis has a great location, but the food quality is unreliable . I'd ask for things off the menu to force the staff to cook fresh, or go for the sandwiches and burger which were always good. Staff are mostly inattentive, with remarkable exceptions. Basically if you want something you have to ask for it as staff is unlikely to offer service unless asked. This is not a five star hotel, but a three star at best. Perhaps it's better in high season. We got a very cheap deal, and for the prize we paid it was fine. But I wouldn't pay more

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street, only take those facing the garden. Perhaps you can book a cheap one f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tullica

best

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Arrived at the hotel on 30th June 2013, nice friendly welcome and given Moroccan tea. Then got shown to our room which smelt stale, old and dusty. Could not hang clothes in the wardrobe because of the smell so ended up living out a suitcase for a week.

The location of the hotel isn't great if you want to go and explore the city, it is about 40-45minute walk to the main area, so I ended up taking a taxi everyday.
I went to the supermarket one day to buy water (which is much cheaper than the hotel prices) then when I returned back to the hotel I was told I could not take the water to my room as only water from the hotel could be purchased and consumed on the premises.

The phone did not work in the room so every time I needed assistance or wanted room service I had to go up to the main reception which was quite annoying.
The breakfast wasn't great and most mornings I never bothered with it.

Then things got really bad...
When checking out we was told that we would have to pay 400 dirhams for local tax. On our booking form there was nothing about this and the hotel manager said that we should have been told when we arrived but we wasn't. I did not have enough money left to pay so I had to use my debit card which I was charged for to use. The reception staff were rude and aggressive and locked my baggage away in a room until I paid.

Don't waste your time or money!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Megan S
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed at palais des roses hotel in april for a week, the hotel is very beautiful it's overlooking the ocean and it got it's own private beach it got huge lagoon pools and an amazing spa with very affordable prices it provides the hammam and it has warm salty water indoor pool. My stay included breakfast it was a huge selection of different kinds of dishes I really enjoyed it. Other then that room is spacious, clean and had a beautiful view, staff at the hotel are very friendly and warm, the service was really beyond my expectations. I definitely recommend this hotel for a gateway in Agadir.

Room Tip: when asking for a taxi to the airport it's better to pick it up yourself in front of the hotel b...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mary_Gb84
PRIAAgadir, Manager at Palais des Roses, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2015

hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 24 June 2013

My teenage daughter and I recently stayed at this hotel. What a pleasure. It wasn't our first choice of hotel due to a mix up of dates on my part and we were feeling a little disappointed that we couldn't book our first choice of hotel for our revised dates. However, we were surprised and enjoyed our stay enough for me to spend time writing a review about this hotel. Like most upper end hotels in Morocco the entrance and concierge area is grand and impressive. The staff at Palais des Roses are all very polite and seem to understand good customer service, not always common in Morocco. They go above and beyond to help and are always polite, smiling and respectful. Having visited Morocco 3 times now, to be fair Agadir isn't my favorite place purely because I like old towns that are bursting with history and culture. Beach or pool by day and culture by night for me! For information, the town was destroyed by an earthquake around 1960 and had to be rebuilt. If you like mainland Spain, and fancy somewhere different this could be a perfect destination for you.
The hotel is situated on the beach and a 15 minute stroll along the sea front from the central hub. The central hub by the sea is like a mini Spain, a few shops and mainly Mediterranean restaurants.
Note, this particular hotel does not sell alcohol but they are happy for you to bring your own and if required serve you your chosen tipple. Personally I didn't bother but I saw lots of guests bringing a bottle of wine for waiters to serve over dinner.
In terms of the location ie Agadir, it's not for me, but if you simply want almost guaranteed weather, to relax around the pool and totally forget the world for a week it fits the bill. The pool is huge and the hotel website doesn't do it justice. The service around the pool is great, you can have drinks on your sun lounger all day and lunch too without moving an inch. Just make yourself known to the team and they will be sure to learn your routine, what you would like and when within a day. The team maintaining the pool are courteous and friendly, and seem to genuinely care about ensuring you have a good holiday. For those of you that don't speak French or Arabic most speak good English too, and are eager to practice so enjoy speaking with English guests.
We have friends in Marrakech and though happy to simply relax around the pool during the day we were a little bored in the evening so with an offer we couldn't refuse to stay with our friends for a few days we made a decision to head North to Marrakech.
We spoke with the concierge and explained our plans - we were going away for 2 days but would be back! Worthy of a mention here is the lovely Mohammed who went above and beyond by getting all the information we needed to travel from Agadir to Marrakech and then offered to go to the bus station and purchase our tickets for us! The return cost for 2 passengers was 400 dirhams and this is exactly what Mohammed charged us, simply the cost of the journey. He managed to get us good seats together at the front of the coach (Moroccans are obsessive about their booked seat so make sure you sit in the seat you are booked into). He went above and beyond any expected service for us.
For anyone wanting to travel in Morocco I would recommend Supratours highly. The coach was comfortable, clean and the driver clearly very experienced, considering the safety of his passengers at all times (driving or travelling in Morocco is not for the faint hearted!).
In terms of the hotel, the service is excellent. The only thing I would recommend is that the hotel look at a refurbishment of their rooms at some point in the near future. Just a small point as the rooms are clean and comfortable. Simply need a little updating in terms of decor and the wood on the verandas need a fresh coat of paint.
The spa is wonderful and we even had our hair cut in the salon - excellent service and team of hairdressers.
If you book this hotel, happy holidays and say Hi to Mohammed for us. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MissDC1974

hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Originally an attractive, Moroccan-style hotel, it is now badly in need of renovation and definitely not four-star. Rooms with peeling paint and water stains on the walls, torn curtains and unusable safe (no longer any numbers on the buttons).
Food very average and very impolite reaction to a service complaint on the part of the head waiter. Other waiters and service personnel mostly friendly. Attractive pool, but water quality
rather suspicious. Good location directly on the beach, but away from the main tourist centre so nice and quiet for those wanting a peaceful stay.
Building itself also in need of renovation - floods in reception area and restaurant when it rained. There are definitely better places to reside in Agadir!

Room Tip: Rooms on pool side quieter, but hotel not recommended.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The hotel is definitely not 5*...it's overrated.
I have stayed there for 5 days. Arrival was pretty swift, with no issue or waiting at check in.
The breakfast buffet is very limited, only 2 choices of fruit...The service at BF was very slow, waiters/waitresses seemed not to know how to attend guest. Chaotic during serving or clearing or delivering.
Hotel is big, has a nice outdoor pool ( didn't use it thought). Gym was fairly well equipped, the indoor pool I wanted to use was for charge only, 200 something dirhams.
I have dropped my gym top accidentally from my balcony on 3rd floor onto the balcony below. It took 3 days of asking the staff at the reception to have it retrieved.They said they can't enter the room below mine, as the card door system doesn't work, but that they will try their best. After 3rd day of nothing happening, I looked out of the balcony and my top was gone, so I thought they have retrieved it. When asking at the reception for it, they said they didn't find it.
It got lost or stolen...I don't know... but they haven't offered any sort of apology or recovery for it. When I asked for someone in charge (duty manager), I was told by a receptionist, he is absent. There is no 24/7 duty manager available.
The room service for cleaning was entering the room too many times... To clean up, to take used towels out, to replace them ... Felt disturbed a lot.
The corridors have tile flooring, any time someone is dragging a suitcase along or the cleaning lady pushes her trolley around, it creates loud noise..any time of the day and night, it was very disturbing.
Location is far from any attractions, only hotels around...need to walk another 40+ minutes to get to an outside restaurant, cafe.
The hotel is not recommended to visit from my side. The building is nice, huge and the premises architectonically interesting, however the place lacks of any proper management, it kind of runs wild on it's own.
I will not visit again.