“Orderly but rather average hotel.”
Review of Hotel Le Tivoli

Hotel Le Tivoli
Ranked #70 of 77 Hotels in Agadir
Reviewed 17 December 2011

The hotel is rather old an visibly ageing. I had a room on the second floor in the first block. It was big and bright, and had a balcony which was larger than average. Technically I could see the sea, but I had to make an effort. I could certainly hear the waves breaking by night what was nice. The room was comfortable and clean, albeit a bit bland. Breakfast was from the buffet, what I rarely had in Morocco and definitely above average, even compared to other places I deemed nice. I did not have any other meal there. There is a pool and deckchairs which I did not use either. The location is so-so, it is about a ten minutes walk or slightly more to the beach and 30 to 45 minutes to the city centre. I arrived during what must be very low season with very few tourists around, and maybe only 20 or 30 guests in this certainly big hotel. Hence it was easy to get a very good deal. In this light value for money was excellent. Otherwise it seemed to me it is an orderly, but rather average place, and I wouldn't stay there for the published rates. Staff was very friendly and helpful. WiFi is available in the lobby. There are a few shops and restaurants around which are good an economical compared to western European standards but horrendously expensive for what I have seen elsewhere in Morocco, about 3 to 4 times the price.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank alpenbewohner
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Tivoli

Reviewed 10 October 2011

I had read rather varying opinions about this hotel before going and I have to say I was concerned as to 'what I would get.' Upon arrival I was initially disappointed, it was dark and the landings around the hotel were pitch black, there are switches for the lights but I needed the torch on my mobile phone to find them. The room we had was large, on first inspection I have to say I wasn't impressed but it was late so I decided to sleep on it and re-evaluate the next morning.

What a different a day makes! Yes the hotel does need sprucing up, there is paint flaking off the walls, the furniture is old and in some cases has seen better day and the bathroom suite was slightly rusty but it was clean, the beds were changed daily, the towels too - though they could do with replacing also. On the whole in the light of day we took an immediate shine to the hotel, I can imagine it was once magnificent and I think with just changing a couple of things it could be again.

The pool area is well maintained, the gardens are well kept, all the staff are helpful and friendly and we didn't come across any language barriers as they all spoke English.

Admittedly the breakfast was a disappointment. The only cereal appeared to be cornflakes but the milk didn't look too appealing, there was fresh fruit, cheese, and a selection of meat, though 1 morning we caught a cat sat on the table eating the meat selection so we didn't opt for that again. There was plenty of choice of bread and croissants, the cooked selection appeared to be rice, pulses, boiled or scrambled egg and tomato sausages - I assume they were not pork as they don't eat pork in Morocco but they were nice enough, it just got a bit boring after 7 consecutive days.

The evening meal was lovely there was always a good choice. All the meat was cooked to perfection. It was on a self serve basis so there was always good opportunity to try a bit of everything and there was always a selection of cakes for dessert. Unlike breakfast there was a different menu each night. The restaurant itself was clean but again the table cloths could do with replacing as some were marked and it would be nice if they labelled the food so you knew exactly what you were eating.

Agadir itself is lovely, the beach is close by, Agadir centre is about 10 mins away just be wary of the streets sellers and beggars, it took us a few days to learn how to deal with their constant attention, they all start by welcoming you to Morocco and engaging in general chit chat, then they try the hard sell, we finally found ignoring them was the only option.
There are areas that you can walk through during the day but I wouldn't recommend walking through them at night, we were also advised to avoid the residential areas, we did end up near the residential area one day and we didn't really feel very safe so we didn't venture back.

There is a supermarket over the road which we used for water and a nice restaurant called the Lampara. There was a cash machine in the hotel but there are plenty nearby.

On the whole this hotel is fine, it is very basic but it's clean, there is a large pool area and the hotel is an ideal base, it could do with sprucing up a bit but apart from that it is ok. I think the 4 star rating is a bit generous it was more on a par with a European 3 star.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KM0JM
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Just returned from a great stay in this tourist 4 star hotel.
Had 2 huge suites ,clean and tidy with good daily room service.
Pool area fab ,free wifi in lobby ,food very good value with daily egg choice,fruit etc and on an evening carvery option.
Location good ,10 mins to walk centre but great local amenities.
Considering the reduced staffing due to Ramadam a great stay and we would return

Room Tip: Suites amazing value
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MikeHG
Reviewed 1 September 2011

The hotels service was great, but the gym was useless as nOne of the equiptment worked but the rooms were large and always clean the pool was easy to access although it was very cold. The hot tub didnt work and stray cats roamed the grounds. Overall good price but not perfect.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Jamies2
Reviewed 2 August 2011

there was an outbreak of food poisoning when we were there, the doctor - employed by the hotel - called is gastric flu!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank happywanderer055
Reviewed 26 July 2011

This hotel is great if you are flaunt in French. The staff only speak a small ammount of English and it takes a while to get your question answered. Breakfast was not good at all, can not comment on lunch and dinner as we didn't eat there! All the night life is at the other end of the beach promenade about 30 minutes walk away! There is no night entertainment if you only speak English! Adadir only caters for the French and Arabic! I would recommend a trip to marakesh as that is an eye opener and full of culture! This hotel is great for families but would say if you are on a couples holiday it would be best not to stay here! Air conditioning is rubbish

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Princessmillzy83
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We have just got back from a girls week at the Tivoli in Agadir. We had the most wonderful time!! The hotel was really clean and comfortable, the food was fantastic - really good variety and the staff could not have been any friendlier or helpful!! Especially the wonderful bar staff and reception staff. Our room was big and airy with more than enough room for us three girls and a lovely balcony with sea views. We loved the whole resort and would totally recommend Morocco, Agadir and the Tivoli!! One word of warning, which has nothing to do with the hotel, do not go to the Follies Berbere. It is sold as a spectacular show with food and drink. It was possibly the most boring evening of my life and I'm not joking!!! It was a total rip off!! We were told that the owner was having trouble with her husband....well so what? We had paid £27 each got no entertainment and the food was dire to say the least, also, only half a glass of wine each. The owner managed to sit with a load of friends drinking and laughing, so obviously not too upset!! there was no water in either of the toilets..nice!! and we got charged £2 for a bottle of water!! In fact, the only time I saw the waiter move with any speed, was to chase us to get the water money before we all got on the mini bus. The only high light was a sleepy camel sitting in the middle of the un-used arena!! As I say, this had nothing to do with the hotel, we booked it through our rep.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends