“Terrible hotel”

Ranked #69 of 77 Hotels in Agadir
Margate, United Kingdom
“Terrible hotel”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Don't know where to start really! Me my wife and 12 year old daughter went for 10 days, the reception staff were pretty useless they didn't know anything when asked and I mean absolutely nothing! The paths around the hotel are a death trap and in the evening these paths are not well lit. People were arguing over sun beds and we thought they could get at least another 30 around the pool, the food was very bland which we found strange for the country, the food was very hit and miss sometimes ok but mostly not good. The hotel was not pro children luckily our daughter is not a fussy eater but many families with children complained that there was no choice for the kids, I'm not a big chip eater but every all inclusive holiday I have been on there has been chips for the kids as they sometimes won't eat the countries cuisine! There was no snack bar during the day at all which was advertised. The hotel staff in General we're fine if you gave them a tip I spoke to one guy who tipped the bar an just to get a bigger plastic beaker for his drinks, the bar staff in the lobby bar were just rude throughout the holiday, although the barman in the pool area was slightly happier. Agadir is a lovely place and we will go again But not to this hotel. We eventually found the private part of the beach that the hotel told us had a big sign ( no sign) we found after looking for best part of 3 hours, but the reception staff were still telling new arrivals about the sign even after we had told them there was no sign! The hotel needs a big injection of money and equipment otherwise I can see it closing, the entertainment is rubbish really 2 entertainment people one girl (who rarely smiles and khalid who was a bit better) I really wouldn't book this hotel it's very poor.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Steve M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed here a few year's ago was good now the place is shabby the food is awful having to eat out every night the service is poor if you go all inclusive and don't like vodka gin or beer you need to pay for other drinks glad it's only a week and half board

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank luxorboy2

Travellers are raving about these Agadir hotels

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I spent a week at this hotel in feb this year ,I went in the school holidays,so it wasn't cheap..i chose it ,as it offered all I wanted but not all or much was as it was described ..the place was generally tired ,the gym advertised was a gazebo by the poole area with a few weights and some mainly broken equipment.i went all inc,but wished I hadn't as the main restaurant was closed and a small room was opened in its place which had pretty much just enough food available for the guests that were there..it was rubbish and to top it all,i went to the bar for a coffee on our last day and was charged for it ,as my all inc ran out at midday..in fact that was the straw that broke the camels back and prompted me to write this..on a better note,i have just had the most wonderful time in turkey.i am reasonably well travelled and always go 5* all inc and I have got to say this is probably the best place I have been so if you want a fun packed lovely place in fab location with good staff and service try the latoonia club in fetyre..FAB

Room Tip: don't go
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank discodude621
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the tivoli from 14th to 19th July and have to say we were not looking forward to it after reading the reviews. However it's not as bad as people have stated or at least we didn't think so.
We did find check in very unprofessional as it took 4 people to deal with it and no one seemed to no what they were doing but after a while we were taken to our room by a very nice porter
The room it's self was large and very clean but a bit dated the bathroom was the same but as I say immaculately clean we were over looking a court yard with a sea view.
Now the food. Breakfast there was always something to eat at breakfast in fact it was the best meal of the day for us with fresh pancakes and pastries they don't have sliced bread but they do have fresh baguettes and rolls that slice and toast perfectly there was also cereal and the usual continental selection of cheese and salad and the usual African breakfast selection of cooked veg. If your expecting a full English you won't get it this is a Muslim country and pork is not on the menu. I must just say that ottoman one of our waiters offered us fried eggs or omelettes every day but we were finewith our choice. Lunch again always something to eat pasta dishes fish salad rice chicken bread and a nice selection of cakes however we were always disappointed at evening meal in fact we ate out 5 times great little reasturants across the road le lampara pizza was amazing.
The pool area was clean with plenty of loungers although they didn't have enough towels some days but we had our own. They do have activities around the pool but we were just happy to watch Calin was the main animation person and always very nice and welcoming
The location was good it's a 5 min walk to the ocean promenade that has lots of reasturant's bars and coffee shops.
Overall we had a very pleasant stay the locals are very welcoming
I would say it's not a 4* hotel but a 3* but for what we paid it was fine.
Just a word of warning the porter told us that when Ramadan is over it gets very busy with the locals.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbashrews
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Before booking our holiday to Agadir we did a lot of research and took a great deal of time picking out a hotel, which we discussed with our holiday provider and decided that the Blue Sea Le Tivoli looked the best to match our wants and desires for our holiday.

When reviewing a holiday it is best to do so based on Staff, Room, Food, Facilities and Overall Experience. This is what I will aim to do with this review.

Staff - the staff were very friendly and helpful. I have to say that when we booked a trip and the providers failed to turn up on the correct day they were most helpful and called the numbers for us and were able to translate the issue for us and find out the situation. It turned out they had booked us for the following day, no get problem. We were shown to our room by a very helpful man who told us about the hotel in great detail. I was very impressed with all the staff at the hotel.

Room - the room we had was impeccable. We had a sea view and a nice view of a courtyard as well. The room was very clean and tidy and was clearly well looked after. The cleaners changed the bedding every 2 days or so and we had fresh towels every day. The fridge in the room was useful as we were able to keep bottles of water cool. The bathroom was really lovely and had clearly been refurbished recently.

Food - The food as some have said was disgusting. I our experience I have to say was completely opposite. We found things to eat at every meal, what you must remember is that you are in Morocco and should therefore expect to eat food that locals eat. There is a choice of meat and fish and lunch and dinner as well as pasta, rice and vegetables including salad. Breakfast was probably, from an English point of view, the oddest as there were vegetables. However there was bread and other breakfast things that we would eat, including freshly made pancakes which were lovely. The food can get a bit similar day to day and we did eat out twice during our week stay (which we had always planned to do, this was not down to the food being inedible). We were all inclusive and we have to say that the drinks that were provided as part of the all inclusive package are really very good.

Facilities - The swimming pool was lovely and big and was not overly crowded. We sat by the pool every day and we were very happy to do so. The gym is in a tent next to the pool but has all the necessities that you may want when on holiday if you want to do a bit of training. We did not use the spa while we were there so can not comment on it. The entertainment team were friendly and were helpful if you needed anything. I did not join in activities but my partner did and we never felt pressured by them to join in with anything we did not want to.

Overall Experience - Overall our holiday was really lovely and we would happily recommend the hotel to friends and family. Having read previous reviews we had been nervous before arriving but once there we thoroughly enjoyed our time in Agadir and at the hotel as well.

Room Tip: Do book a camel ride, we paid £24 each. This included transfer to and from the hotel to the camel ri...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Hannah C
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Do not book this hotel
I have just returned from a 2week stay here and it's a dump
Where to start no porter staff are rude and the food you cannot eat......they run out of drinks on a regular basis.......the gym/spa area was closed and the so called tennis court hasn't been used in years......should be closed down.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Barbara W
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I booked this holiday on lastminute.com. I booked in a hurry so made the rookie error of not checking out the hotel beforehand. Well! I checked Trip Advisor afterwards and was a bit worried, particularly after reading about the lack of maintenance on the buildings.

However, I was already committed and I consoled myself with the thought that perhaps the people who'd written the reviews had extremely high standards and expected a bit too much from a cheap(ish) hotel. So I just hoped for the best.

When we arrived, we were shown to our room. There was a great deal of fanfare about the fact that we supposedly had been upgraded, apparently to a newly refurbished room with a better view than we had paid for. Perhaps the check-in man was angling for a tip?!

We were pleased to see the room had obviously been freshly painted and that the linen all looked clean and fresh. However, on closer inspection, we realised that the linen had dried paint all over it, as nobody had bothered to cover it while they painted the ceiling, and furthermore that the so-called refurbishment was definitely a work in progress, as they had not plumbed in the pipes under the bathroom sink. I discovered this last as I washed my face and heard the unexpected sound of gushing water drumming onto the floor of the cabinet. I opened the doors (which I then realised had been artfully propped up as they had no hinges attached) to discover a distinct lack of any pipework plus a wooden cupboard brimming with water.

We went downstairs to the check-in desk to explain this problem. It took a while and I had to resort to French as they were unable to comprehend the issues, especially when we tried to explain that we did not have any towels i.e. "Non il ne faut pas CHANGER les serviettes. Il n'y a pas de serviettes. PAS DE SERVIETTES. AUCUNE SERVIETTE!". And so forth. Great fun.

After a trip to the beach we returned to find a pool of brown water around the loo. We were a bit worried about what that was, particularly as we hadn't used it yet. We headed once more to the check-in desk where we were assured the problems would be dealt with urgently. We waited outside at the swimming pool while they went to organise another room for us. Nobody returned until the early hours of the morning. We spent the afternoon sitting next to a family, the mother of whom was complaining loudly about the facilities and the horrific food.

This brings me to my next point. Firstly, I am not a fussy eater, although I enjoy good food. Secondly, I LOVE Moroccan food. However, what was served at the hotel was honestly appalling. I tried the dinner buffet once and I could not eat anything. Imagine worse, blander and sloppier than the worst boarding school food you've ever had in your life. I then attempted breakfast twice (since we had made the mistake of paying for half board so were now committed unless we wanted to have the expense of eating outside the hotel, which in fact is what we did in the end). Basically what was provided for breakfast was baguettes, cheese, chicken and salad. So I developed a new, quite useful habit of making myself a cheese salad baguette which I would then sneak out in my handbag and eat later for lunch beside the pool. I couldn't really face baguettes for breakfast. At the breakfast buffet the next day as I arrived to make my usual lunch baguette, I snickered to myself as I overheard some angry English tourists asking each other in amazement "What do you mean, CHICKEN? FOR BREAKFAST???".

(Sorry, this is turning into a bit of a novel. This trip was pretty hard to forget though.)

More notable than the awful food and the medieval plumbing was the astonishing insouciance and inefficiency of the staff. Admittedly, they partly made up for this by being quite friendly at least. If someone at Customer Services has no intention or ability to help you out, I suppose it is nice that they smile happily thoughout the process.

Our so-called emergency upgrade happened for some reason around 3 o'clock in the morning, when someone from the check-in desk knocked on our door and woke us up to take us to our new room. We decided we'd better seize the opportunity irrespective of the ridiculous timing, so we dashed off dragging our luggage. How pleased we were now with the simple things in life. Towels! Plumbing! Our lives were surely complete. We did however have to stump up a fairly generous tip as the man who'd organised our rooms explained to us pointedly several times (and without leaving us, although we desperately wanted to get back to sleep) exactly what a huge deal it was to have a fridge and what a lot of trouble he personally had gone to in order to find us one.

The next day, we excitedly purchased many cold drinks (it was 42 degrees after all) on the way back from the beach. We were keen to get maximum usage from our new fridge and we were looking forward to having some cold drinks in the middle of the night instead of the lukewarm Fantas etc which we had had to drink before.

When we got back, to our stupefaction, the fridge turned out to be AWOL. Presumably somebody else must have been more grateful and coughed up a larger tip for the privilege. It might have been a very nice fridge after all. I wouldn't know as I never got to use it.

Last three points of this review now. Bear with me. The hotel lifts weirdly only seem to function for hotel staff. Quite annoying trooping up a few floors of stairs in that sort of heat. I wondered if staff had some sort of special key that turned them on and if they were switched off the rest of the time to save money?

And... one of the members of staff ran an exercise class every morning. This appeared to be reserved for the more attractive ladies around the pool, whom he would personally invite to take part. The classes involved a lot of stretching, particularly bending over and touching their toes while he surveyed proceedings from the back.

Lastly, I was in the shower one afternoon with the water running and the shower curtains and bathroom door closed when a cleaning lady decided to wander in and change the towels. She opened the door without knocking and (Fawlty Towers style) decided it would be most convenient to go ahead with her plan and ignore the fact someone was clearly in the shower. She giggled sweetly when I screamed in shock as she whipped open the curtain, and happily changed over the towels on the rack behind my naked self. She seemed unaware that she had done anything wrong or at all unusual.

In conclusion, only go here if you get an amazing deal (perhaps three weeks for £65), are very broke and therefore prepared to put up with very lax, super friendly customer service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple