“Plenty to do - fun for all ages!”

Hotel Riu Tikida Beach
Ranked #6 of 77 Hotels in Agadir
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Plenty to do - fun for all ages!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

I stayed here from 16th August – 27th August 2012 with my sister and a friend (flying out with First Choice) and we had a great time. We are aged 29 and 24 and we can recommend it for people of our age as we found plenty to do.

Check in:
This was smooth and quick, we got issued with our wristbands but we had to wait an hour for our rooms to become available.

Room:
We were given room 3 but our safe was not working. We told Reception and they sent an electrician as well as a security officer to our room and we had a new safe fitted, which we thought was great service!

Our room was large and comfortable with two single beds, a settee and another small removable bed.

We had a separate toilet from the bathroom which was good, the bathroom was great with a shower that had constant pressure and warm water. Shampoo and shower gel were provided in little sachets. Our in room safe was big enough to hold all of our valuables and was free to use.

Sunloungers:
The bed-like mattresses were always taken early and we even saw them reserved the night before. We had a letter come through our room warning everyone against reserving sun loungers but this was obviously not enforced by the hotel. Fortunately, we could always find a sun lounger, but the same could not be said for the parasols. We are all very fair skinned and so needed a parasol in the strong African sun and yet we saw people with parasols that were't being used. We thought that this was very wrong and feel that the hotel need to have more parasols to be made available as it is no joke to be in the blazing hot sun with no shade.

Pool:
We loved the pool, it was clean and cold, just great for escaping the heat of the day! The music was never very loud apart from during aqua gym. Towels were readily available, a token was exchanged for them on arrival at the hotel.

Weather:
The weather was very disappointing for the first 2 days of our holiday, misty and cold, although the hotel staff said that it was unusual to be so cold at this time of year. The rest of the holiday saw temperatures reach almost 50 degrees celcius and we tanned even using factor 50+ sun cream so remember to pack plenty of sun cream and a wide rimmed hat!

Food and drink:

At breakfast the buffet had everything you could possibly wish for including a fresh omelette station, fresh pancakes, cereals, fresh fruit and a special tea station where they had all different ingredients for tea. Ingredients such as lavender, star anise and mint so you could have tea of any flavour.

There was a great selection of food in the evening buffet, and the speciality restaurants were a welcome change, we especially enjoyed the Moroccan speciality restaurant but didn't get to go to the Seafood restaurant. The menu was different every day in the speciality Moroccan restaurant, we went on Wednesday night and found the food was lovely, we were given soup, chicken pastilla, beef tagine, oranges with cinnamon and mint tea with biscuits.

The evening buffet had a themed night twice a week, one chinese night and a moroccan night. Every night they had a fresh pasta station where they had 3 types of pasta and 3 different sauces. There was a great range of desserts every night, including chocolate mousse, pastries, ice cream, and fresh fruit.

We found it tricky to find somewhere to sit at lunchtime as tables were never laid as they were made available, we found that staff had tables ready with wine on ice for people who left tips but not tables for anyone else not tipping. We didn't see this happen at dinner, though.

There was a great variety of drinks available, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails as well as the ubiquitous mint tea and other hot drinks such as cappuccino and latte.

First Choice Rep:
We found Rob to be a legend, he was full of jokes and was always available to chat to if you had a problem. One of our trips had to be cancelled, he let us know and asked for us to speak to him on the phone in the evening and he came out to chat through our options the next day. Top notch service!

Trips:
Atlas Mountains 4x4 Adventure - We booked this through First Choice and were picked up in a 4x4 jeep and went to the Sofitel about a 5 minute drive away to pick up 2 other guests. We then drove into the High Atlas mountain range, the views were stunning but this trip is definitely not for anyone who doesn't have a head for heights or is nervous on steep roads. We were later taken onto a village called Immouzer where we went to a Berber village for Berber breakfast. We were taken to a Berber house and given traditional stone baked bread along with honey, peanut sauce (Berber jam), argan oil and olive oil. We were also given mint tea which was lovely.

We were also given a tour of their home, we saw how the family lives on the top floor of the house (to keep cool I guess) and the sheep and other animals live on the bottom floor.

Taroudant – We had originally booked this trip through First Choice but it was cancelled so we decided to book through Reception, they had the number of a local tour guide (Rachid) who agreed to take the 3 of us on a half day trip there for 800 dhirams. He was also our english speaking tour guide and taxi driver. It took around an hour and a half to get to Taroudant and we stopped off at a hotel that used to be a sultan's palace, we had a drink there for 15 dhirams each in lovely surroundings with a garden and a fountain with terrapins.

Rachid then took us to a cooperative store in Taroudant which we had a look around and then onto the Grand Souk. As it was the week after Ramadan, a lot of the stores were closed so it was a lot quieter the it usually is. Again, we had no hassle but the people there didn't seem to want to haggle.

We drove back to Agadir and stopped off at an Argan Oil shop where we all bought some products and we were back at the hotel for 1.00 pm.

Camel Trek – We had booked this through our First Choice rep Rob and were picked up from the hotel and taken to the camel farm. Two of us rode one camel and I rode a camel by myself as they wouldn't allow more than 2 people per camel. They had a professional photographer there taking photos that could be collected in packs of 3 for 100 dhirams at the end of the trek.

The camels took us on a trek up to the Sous Massa National Reserve where flamingoes can be seen, although we didn't see any on our trip. The trek lasted 2 hours so was good fun, but it did get very hot in the mid day sun and we were glad we took water and a hat with sun cream plastered on before it started.

Agadir Souk-Al-Had - We caught a taxi from just outside the hotel for 20 dhirams and asked for it to take us straight to gate 9 of the souk. I was very pleasantly surprised as I was expecting a lot of hassle but actually we didn't have any.

We found the stall holders to be very helpful and would answer any questions we had. One guy took us round the back of his stall, showing us all of his wares and made us some mint tea. When we bought some things from him, he gave us some good deals.

Uniprix and Vallee des Oiseaux - We also went to the Uniprix, which is the fixed-price shop where no bartering takes place. We also went to the bird park (Vallee des Oiseaux) which I would not recommend to anyone, the birds and animals are not looked after and appeared to be suffering. It was awful seeing them cooped up and not looked after, I feel they should charge visitors to go to the attraction and then look after the animals with the money generated rather than leave it as a free attraction and treat them like they are currently being treated.

Spa:
We took advantage one of the offers - a hammam, rhassoul wrap and full body massage for 290 dhirams each. This was my first ever spa experience and didn't particularly enjoy it as you are asked to take off your bikini top for both the hammam and massage. I thought this was quite daunting and we spoke to other ladies in the hotel who thought the same thing. A massage is supposed to be relaxing but I didn't find this at all relaxing.

Entertainment:
The Riu Fun team provides the entertainment and we had great fun joining in with some of the activities.

We took part in Aqua Gym and Archery and thoroughly enjoyed them. They also hold non-sporty activities during the day, including Arabic lessons, cookery classes, belly dancing and a tea ceremony. We went along to the Moroccan Mint Tea ceremony which was interesting and it was where we had the nicest glass of mint tea.

The night time shows were repeated every week so could get a bit repetitive if you were staying for longer than 10 days. Big thanks to Issam and Omar for making our stay so much fun!

Nightclub:
The nightclub (Papagayo) was closed during our first week as it was Ramadan but we went one night after Ramadan. It opened at 1am and was free entry to all guests, although you have to pay for drinks once inside. To be honest, we didn't like it inside as I would say it was 90% moroccan men inside and I only saw about 1 other western woman in there beside us and we felt it was bit of a meat market in there so we didn't stay long.

Wifi:
Free wifi is available in the reception area and bar but we found it to very intermittent, sometimes it was easy to connect (especially when there were fewer people trying to access) and other times it was very difficult to connect such as later in the evening. I thought it was a great free service, most places would charge for this.

If anyone has any questions, send me a message and I’ll try to answer any that you might have. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, just remember that Morocco is a North African country and go with a open mind. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and want to see more of North Africa now.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank MexicoPrincess

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

Lots of great reviews about this hotel but I just got back and I'm going to give it to you warts and all:

Flies all over the buffet food and birds flying about in the dining rooms. GROSS and a health hazard..NOTE TO HOTEL : CLOSE doors and windows and install A/C... job done.

No branded alcoholic drinks in the bars and as others have said massive range of cocktails all out of a machine and sickly sweet, Hardly a trace of the alcoholic content.

The bar closes at midnight...WTF ? I'm not by any means a big drinker, but hey I'm on my flippin holiday and I may therefore want to stay up with a drink after 12 ! Had to beg for a drink after returning from Marrakech trip as it was 12:02

As I say I'm not a drinker and rarely have a 'pint' even but sometimes in the searing heat only an ice cold pint will slake your thirst.....FORGET IT you only ever get served a poxy Red-Bull sized can and the best you can say is that it is chilled, far from ice cold - as all they do is put dozens of cans in a bucket of cold water.

Changing your cash...the hotel will happily change your GBP to Dirhams but beware don't change too much (as I did) the day before you fly back as they will NOT CHANGE IT BACK.!
You then have the stress of having to change it at the airport (check in side only) where there is one guy who moves at the pace of a sedated snail. You can imagine the queue...only just made it to check in in time VERY STRESSFUL.

The food is plentiful and generally of a fair quality but lacks variety...the breakfast fruit is a pathetic choice.for a hot country..basically kiwi, orange, apple, pear and banana !...C'MON GUYS its a country which produces great fruit...fresh figs, peaches, etc. how about some berries and even some watermelon ! Hotel could do much better here.
The 'seafood' restaurant which has to be booked for eves (however, annoyingly people book and then do not turn up). This place doubles as a cafe for lunch-time and serves fried, scaley fish most days (stinks the whole resort out daily !) -if you are therefore expecting a nice 'restaurant' setting with white tablecloths etc forget it. it is a cafe with far too many dirty, sticky tables crammed together. Don't look down at the floor it is disgusting and i doubt ever gets cleaned beyond a quick sweep up of food debris.

I'm not going to start about the 'bagsying' of the sunloungers, as it is a deplorable practice which hotels the world over should address with a fair policy which is actually policed. All i will say is when I am on holiday I shouldn't have to get up at 6 AM for any reason let alone just to make sure i get a lounger

There you go brutal but honest and some of the things which annoyed me mainly because the hotel COULD fix them easily and it would then be top-notch

Room Tip: Pay extra for pool view room -ESSENTIAL as other rooms are very poor (we used one to shower in on la...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank PDubya58
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

Everything was ok and we had a great time!
The hotel and the garden were clean and the personal was always nIce and liked to help you.
The food was ok, but sometimes there was less of differences for every taste. Sometimes I didn't know what I can eat. But there were chips and anything you could eat.
The program in the evening was ok, but sometimes it was boring and too much. The normal program was singing and dancIng and that was so ok!!

At least we had a great time and I would go there again!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank LenaLeimgruber
new scouser
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

Just returned after 11 days ,had a first class holiday from a first class team at a first class hotel.From the maids to managment we could not fault this hotel. Food delicious and varied,rooms spacious clean well appointed,reception staff happy helpful and will always help and advise you.From the moment we got off the coach the hotel is welcoming, Nabil our tompson rep was lovley and well versed in all we needed to know,he moved on to the new tikida hotel after the first week but kept in touch. entertaint was good and daytime team very athletic,but still respectful,if you didnt want to join in.My husband and i are in our 70s but have a great zest for life and so can honestly say this holiday was one of the best,thank you Tompsons for doing the bookings.

Room Tip: All rooms at the pool side and sea side great views
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happyaandbrown
Minehead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Just returned from a week at the Tikida Beach with my two teenage sons. Could not fault this lovely hotel in any way - staff were friendly and helpful, place was spotlessly clean inside and out, design and decoration impressive, food varied and delicious, entertainment entertaining, even the beds were comfortable. I will not comment on the weather because it is irrelevant to a review about a hotel. Would just like to reassure holidaymakers intending to stay at this hotel that they need have no worries or apprehension about what they might find - go ahead and book. I shall most definitely be returning, I would even be happy to stay there on my own. The hotel itself is really well positioned right on the beautiful sandy beach. The whole hotel is all inclusive which simplifies things; one nice touch was the availability of bottles of sparkling wine on ice at breakfast if you fancied starting the day with a bucks fizz - how civilized is that!

As an extra note I would like to say that I did not feel frightened, threatened or hassled once while out and about in Agadir or on the beach - those days seem to be gone. Also while the souks are good to visit and wander round, do not be tempted to buy or haggle because you are quoted stupid prices to start with, which you then haggle to a mid-way point at which you think you have done really well with your bartering skills and then realise, too late, that you have ended up paying way over the odds after all. The little "fixed price" shops charge reasonable, realistic prices and are far better for choosing handicrafts and souvenirs.

Room Tip: I would say rooms overlooking the ocean are preferable to pool or side views.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank MineheadRareBreed
wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

I travelled with my husband and his two teenage daughters , one of which was only staying one week whilst the rest of us was staying for a fortnight. On arrival at around midnight we were greeted with a cocktail and a problem with the room ! This was sorted but not until the following day, so 30 tired minutes later we went in search of a drink and met a very friendly waiter who gave us a bottle of wine to take to the room , things were looking up! The staff were all friendly and helpful with the exception of the lady we dealt with initially.The food was varied and good , could have done with being a bit hotter as could the tea. The pool was clean if a bit cold,there were plenty of sunbeds the luxury ones had always gone by 8.30 despite notices to deter people from saving them.My husband booked the nearby golf which was all done easily and very enjoyable.We booked a trip with our rep to go on a dune buggy experience,wed highly recommend it, it was great fun and we stopped at a local village and had breakfast with a family,a lovely time was had by all.The Zanzibar bar and nightclub that are attached to the hotel are quite an experience not for the fainthearted ! We were lucky to stay two weeks as the fist was lovely and sunny and the second mostly overcast and at times even cold.

Room Tip: choose a room with sea or pool view away from the nightclub.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank gmoggs
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

First, the service is really good: ask for something, you have it in 1 hour.
My wife lost the code for the safe (free) in the room: 1/2 hour after the locksmith arrived, accompanied by a guardian of the hotel ! And before arrival, the reception call to warn you. Bravo !
The pool is very clean, the room are large, the towels are changed daily.
The all inclusive formula includes imported drinks (whisky or others), this is not common!
The pool is opened only from 9:00 to 18:00, ok. And take care of the ZanziBar and the Papagayo night club, their drinks are NOT included.
A pretty quiet place, where you can really relax ; a very clean place, a very good service without obsequiousness, good meals...
What else ?

Room Tip: Take a room facing the sea, the extra is not very expensive: you will not have the music from the ba...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple